My games: Unisane Vs. Altrucure

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DtMK
Hero

My games: Unisane Vs. Altrucure

Unread post by DtMK »

Anyone that reads my posts know where I stand on the versions of Dead Reign. I liked the Unisane originally covered in Rifter # 40. The genetically engineered compound slated as the cure for cancer used as the carrier of the mystic Z-Virus thanks to The Benford group and Brulyx. Recently, people have wondered about the differences in these compounds from the Rifter version and the substance known as Altrucure in DRRPG. While I have my preferneces, I see where playing DRRPG as-is can be attractive to some players and GM's. But for my games, here's what I have in mind for both compounds.

Unisane and Altrucure were both engineered to work on humans, thus the reason why there are only human zombies. It's species specific, at least no one's reported any zombie animals at this time. In my games, Unisane is'was the cure it promised, with a spell piggybacking on it. The specific spell in my games was actually a derivative taken from the Death Demons in Hades and Brulyx's realm. It's an undeath even for demons, so I can see this as a resource to be used. With this, the ritual cast on the Summer Solstice in 2012 activated it. But after the ritual? No one has explored the mystical nature of this compound, however the true 'magic' in it is the scientific nature. In order to treat cancer, the compound uses gene therapy to attack certain genetic coding. With this, it IS conceivably possible that Unisane could be used in other geneti experimentations, possibly even unlocking other genes, causing mutation or activation of psionic potentials, if exposed to something intense to trigger it(radiation, chemicals, certain psychological triggers, etc.). It is possible these beings could become links to Brulyx as well, or something independent with new adaptive abilities to combat the creatures in their surroundings. Certain abilities that could manifest could be, but are not limited to, Nightstalking, Zombie Flesh, Supernatural Strength, or possible other transformations if exposed to more extreme conditions.

Altrucure seems to be present on Earths were there are NO magic, psionic or mutations reported. There also seems to be a more disseminating effect when multiple zombies feed on the P.P.E. of their prey. Why? And what kind of effect would this have on the supernatural ecology? In my games, there was a very interesting person behind the scenes: Dr. Stern. A brilliant man who worked with the Benford Group, but as a curious mind, wanted to see what else he could create. So he created a more potent version of Unisane. When exposed to a biological organism, the healing processes that some attribute to Altrucure could indeed seem magical. In actuality, it causes the cells to use a relatively untapped form of energy that all living things seem to connect with. The research of one Victor Lazlo was quite enlightening. Using information taken about microcellular organisms called Somatids, Dr. Stern found a cellular answer to Einstein's Theory of Relativity. A virtually indestructible cellular structure that converts specific energies to matter, as well as potentially vice versa.

Dr. Stern discovered that by using the ambient energy both within the subject as well as the ambient flow of its surroundings, it enters the organism, finds where healing and cellular reproduction is needed, then converts the P.P.E. into cellular growth. Of course, there IS a downside, one that made Gregius disapprove of its implementation. While the absorption factor of Unisane IS stronger, it has a geometric effect and radius. With more and more infected with this more virulent compound, it will absorb so much P.P.E. from the surroundings that could not only arrest the potential for psionics and magic used to be used either by or against them, it could arrest so much of the mystic energy of the area in large doses that it would make magic all but impossible to manifest! To Gregius and the other mystic members of The Benford group, this could be extremely detrimental to their mystical edge. Not to mention by arresting the magic potential of an entire world, it would be no place for a power base for Brulyx's demonic forces, much less an inhospitable place for the Demon Lord to emerge to. On this world Unisane would be the carrier.

However, the ingenuity of this human intrigued Brulyx. He had the perspective of seeing more than one alternate Earth. And with them, more than one timeline. Although Brulyx wished to have entry into this dimension and Earth, it pleased Brulyx to think that he could siphon the entire mystical energy from more than one Earth to supplement his power, and to scorch more than one Earth in ruination. So communicating with Dr. Stern, Brulyx offered him immortality that Dr. Stern was uniquely capable of administering to both himself and to others though the sacrifice of clones. The Cybermancer's methods are sound, if not horrific. And with this, Brulyx helped with other members of his cult aiding Stern. Not only in the mass production of Altrucure, but distributing it to other Earths. With at least five other Earths as gigantic experiments, Stern was tickled in seeing how the implementation would be best. As a cure to be paid for, as a new biological weapon to be used by the military on another, and perhaps even dumped into the reservoirs of small towns at first, then larger cities. Some could worship Brulyx, others could be kept completely in the dark, left to believe that perhaps it IS the end of their world, with a vengeful god reigning down judgment upon them. All the while, Stern would become one of the greatest mass-murderers in the name of science. A slayer on more than on Earth, destroying the potential for the supernatural to rise up against him. Psionics might be possible, but fortunately any psychic using its abilities in the zombie's presence would act as a signal flare to the horde.

I was looking at my Rifter #18, and came across the tables for creating one's own planetary system with various climates, inhabitants, etc. But then I saw the potential that the Dead Reign worlds in the DRRPG were set. On P.P.E. Level, one of the possibilities is P.P.E. Drain. So I'm ruling in my DR Earths other than the Rifter #40 version, the infected and infection has grown so much, that the zombies are literally turning the world into a magic sponge! Characters with over 5 P.E.E. will go through a magic drain, unable to regain their lost magic energies. The spell costs are double, while the spell effects are half. And lastly, any creature with Supernatural P.S. would find themselves with normal levels of strength! Higher P.S. numbers perhaps, but not supernatural.

Psychic powers are possible to manifest, but extremely rare on worlds infected with Altrucure. Psychic characters from other worlds will find their powers unchanged, but trying to go to a ley line will make the people jittery with prolonged exposure, as stated in Beyond the Supernatural 1'st Edition. Altrucure MIGHT, Might be useable as a stop-gap healing potion, but it will be generating the same effects as a Bio-Regeneration or healing Psionic power. And the worst part: anyone with potential magical capabilities taking it will get a healing, but they will also lose an equal amount of P.E.E. for their personal supplies. THIS IS PER DOSE. So it might be able to be used, but should you survive, the more doses one takes, the more likely it is to dam the potential for psionic or mystical ability for your future's generations. The mystical equivalent to castration for entire alternate worlds.

At least this is how I'm doing it in my campaigns. If you have a different idea chime in, or feel free to use or tweak what I've written. :-D
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
DtMK
Hero

Re: My games: Unisane Vs. Altrucure

Unread post by DtMK »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:In the rewriting process after the release of I am Legend, when the Fresh Prince put a knife in my back, Unisane became a broad spectrum anti-viral. But the kicker either way is that after the Wave Unisane still worked as advertised, it really was a near miracle drug.

:D

nothing but love to Will Smith

Fantastic! I'm sure to use that in my games as well. Nothing like a zombie apocalypse to give a good thing bad press. :D
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave

Return to “Dead Reign™”