Incendiary rounds for rifle and guns what do you think ?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Incendiary rounds for rifle and guns what do you think ?

Unread post by ZINO »

Incendiary rounds for rifle and guns do regular damage plus half dice because it burns zombie ?
i have 21 players left and one came out with this idea from a video games which make sense .
what o you think ? :-D
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Incendiary rounds for rifle and guns what do you think ?

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

so...Tracers?
Incendiary is only viable for large calibre rounds, .30cal and up, basically. tracers have a pyrotechnic compound at the base of the bullet, which burns in flight. this leaves a nice visible trail, but can also ignite gasoline vapor and such.

to be honest, i'd say neither would be all that effective. even if the zomb' can catch fire from the incendiary hit (which depended in state of dessication, could be hard. the more 'fresh' the zomb', the tougher to catch it on fire), the fire would be fairly small and not really all that effective.

now, you might want to consider explosive bullets. IIRC, it's a case of taking a hollow tipped projectile, filling it with some low explosive (fast burning black powder, for example) and tipping it with a primer. on impact the primer ignites, causing the explosive to go off, which turns the hollow point projectile into a mini-frag grenade. due ot the velocities involved and the fraction of a second delay in the explosion, this typically occurs inside the target. however these rounds are extremely dangerous and require careful handling, since banging them around could set off the charge in the projectile.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

thank you for your post will be very handy in my next session you guy are great help thank you again :D
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

wolfe wrote:
Incendiary is only viable for large calibre rounds, .30cal and up

:lol:
I like that, calling 7.62 ammunition "large calibre".

The only incendiary rounds you'll be finding in any large quantity (good luck) in small caliber is API, Armor Piercing Incendiary and you shouldn't be setting the clothes or anything else on the outside of the zombie unless those zombies are wearing body armor but don't count on seeing the zombie wreathed in flames.
The damage caused inside the zombie, well that's whole different story.

the smallest incendiary round i could find referance to was .308 from back in WW1, used for anti-zepplin loads. it's been basically abandoned for anything under 20mm in modern times, and even then isn't common.

and considering virtually everybody has moved to 5.56 or similar for their primary infantry weapons...(even the soviets, their AK-74 is a 5.45mm).....
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

The ammount of incindiary compound in a rifle or handgun round would be negligible at best. Stil if the zombies are combustible enough it may have some effect.

A shotgun or a heavy machinegun would be able to fire a bullet with a much more considerable incindiary payload, probably bringing much faster destrction of the burning zombie. On the down side a .50 BMG round would probably go through the zombie completelybefore it had a chance to light the creature on fire and a shotgun round will require you to be pretty close to what will soon be a flaming, flailing zombie.

So incindiary shotgun shells are probably your best bet, but make sure you have space to run away when you use them.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Jefffar wrote: On the down side a .50 BMG round would probably go through the zombie completelybefore it had a chance to light the creature on fire and a shotgun round will require you to be pretty close to what will soon be a flaming, flailing zombie.

Well on watching this video with a rifle useing the Raufoss Mk 211 round. while the round might not detonate in the lead zombie's head. It will detonate right behind the zombie and spray a 30 degree arc with burning zirconium.

As far as the "Tactical" use of a Dragon's Breath round....I give you The High Road.

Basically the stuff does't burn skin all that well. it will however set fire to things much more flamable like grasslands for instance.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

well explosive bullets are very good in dead reign RPG and not Incendiary rounds
boy am i having fun with this data thank you all you guy and girls

Return to “Dead Reign™”