The Dead Reign Magic Question

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

The Dead Reign Magic Question

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Hi there folks. Just thought I'd stop in here to share a few thoughts and a bit of an brain storm I just had.

As anyone that plays with me will tell you, I love playing magic users. It's my favorite class. Now, it didn't bug me at all when I found out that there wasn't any in dead reign, because lets face it, Palladium games are built to be modified. So, since I had Kevin on the show two weeks ago I've been trying to figure out what kind of magic would actually fit Dead Reign in the right way.

(I should mention here that I do not have the book yet...)

The first thought is that, frankly, spell casters aren't going to work. They're too strong and too dynamic for a survival game. A class that can create energy and items out of mid air are not needed. For magic in dead reign to work, you'd need something that takes time, that is a gamble to use and is so limited that players should have to agonize if it's worth casting. If they don't have to worry about using it and can count on it in a pinch, it fails the survival game test.

Plus, there's another factor. How does one discover this new magic? In Rifts, the ley lines had to explode and people needed to start casting wildly before people realized that it worked, and frankly, a zombie apocalypse is not the kind of thing that would make people suddenly start believing in magic. However, it would make people start finding religion :D

That helps to some extent but the addition of gods and other powerful entities kind of skews the survival aspect as well. So priest type characters don't really work either. They're limited, sure, but it still doesn't fit the theme too well.

Besides, while they're not true spell casters and their spells aren't as dependable, they can cast in a heart beat so there goes that.

The other issue that comes in here is you need to avoid massive damage. No spell or magic should be able to do more than a land mine or grenade to the zombie hoards or else it really will be too overpowered.

Then it hit me. Palladium already has the PERFECT magical occ to fit dead reign, with a couple of thematic tweaks.

The Diabolist.

Now, wards and runes would need some tweaking. The wards and runes need not all be exactly the same as in PFRPG, but could be wards and runes drawn from the various relgions, or even made up by the character in a dream, or spoken by mad men or what have you. Basically, your magic users would either be people who studied religions, dabbled in the occult, or people that were crazy or snapped and tried something insane when all else failed. I actually don't like the crazy idea cause it fits the theme but not the play.

For example, to really have a good diabolist, you're going to need to have him constantly collecting compenents for the wards, and as we already know, getting what you need to survive is bad enough. On top of that, most would only have a handful of wards to start, which means they'd need to somehow convince their comerades to go on raids to liabraies, churches, book stores, and even insane asylums with no guarentee of success of finding anything even remotely magical in nature.

So, in my opinion, it's something that could easily be brought over to the system, and would fit very well in the game itself without overbalancing it, or even really changing the game in any major way.

What do you guys think?

Oh, and as a note, this would work best if you're using the cause being the magic and demons, and just make those that caused the plague be the Summoner OCC. :)
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Re: The Dead Reign Magic Question

Unread post by MrMom »

I think your on to something here PA. I liked most of what you said about haveing few wards to begin with and needing to collect componts and stuff. I would like to see more if you have more to offer.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Hmmmm, I have been pretty vocal about my preferences for magic or NOT in the Zombie genre. I am however very intrigued by what I am reading here. Particularly what Josh has written about the Zombies sensing PPE. This reminds me of the undead in MERP. Sense the living and are attracted to it. As far as magic attracting the undead that is an excellent deterrent for the use of magic even if you have it. I am looking forward to seeing more of this printed in the Rifter.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

The zombies sensing it can also provide some interesting uses too. Using alarm wards as a type of bait and switch. Set one far enough away from a food source so that it draws more there and buys the rest of the group a few moments extra grabbing the food.
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

I was also curious about this. With their sensing of P.P.E., I'd imagine that any potential magic user would be the first that nearby zombies would go after. Hopefully in the upcoming Rifter or DR Sourcebook, this can be examined further.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:Magic in Dead Reign was EXTREMELY rare and pretty much limited to the Death Priest and a type of Mystic called the Exile. It cost a lot of PPE to do the spells, the spells that were available were very limited, ranges and durations were short, and since the dead hunt by sensing PPE every time someone used magic it was liking shooting a giant flare into sky and screaming "Here I am you undead mother ****!". The same went for Psionics.

I don't know, in that context it seemed to work.
i AGREE :P
Fact is that magic IS the ONLY reasonable way that Zombies could even exist and be walking around (Let alone be sencing PPE) in the first place...
AND since, as you'd already mentioned/stated, the magic was low and way outta the way to begin with, I was no reason to keep it outta the books. Plus, Ida like to have seen what woulda happened if the "Thinkers" had been made to...well... Think!

Im still gonna get the book when we finally get it out out here on the West Coast (east coast always gets it first fer 3-4 months or so), But Now I want that Rifter as well, so as to play That version of the game... Witch ( :P ) Rifter was that again?
Citizen Lazlo wrote:... also Ukla the Moch
:lol: I was just showing My Bro old eps of Thundar today!... Awsome!
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Hound
Wanderer

Unread post by Hound »

From the instant I read the rifter, I imagined the only magic being Ritual magic. And ONLY the province of the Death Cult leaders. Any game I run will definitely have this in it. I'm also toying with adapting the Wormwood Blood Magic that was printed in one of the early Rifter's.
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nightbreed »

DtMK wrote:I was also curious about this. With their sensing of P.P.E., I'd imagine that any potential magic user would be the first that nearby zombies would go after. Hopefully in the upcoming Rifter or DR Sourcebook, this can be examined further.

Yep, unless that mage takes precautions or has artifacts that can either ward, control or make him/herself invisible to the undead. ;)

I think another type that could make things interesting if you go for the religion thing: Mystics from Rifts. They get both magic and psionics as they go up in level. It would make for an interesting following as they follow the one who has been "gifted" by god in our time of need.

In a game i'm already running i have the main villain as a minor necromancer, who after the Wave has his powers flare up along with some of his artifacts due to the PPE surge when the Benford Group did their ritual.
kevarin
Adventurer

Unread post by kevarin »

you could really use any form of magic i was thinking about the spells from chaos earth
there not to strong and already set up for a survival end of the world game
and giving them a casting time like you need 3 melee actions to gather up the PPE and
cast spell since magic isn't as high here as in rifts earth would give them a min of 2 melee
actions and no greater than 4 and if you get attacked or have to dodge you didn't cast it
and you lose the PPE you built up to cast it and as you build up PPE to cast the spell
you become to most attractive target to the zombies and they all start coming for the
caster and you have to be defended or your zombie food

just my thoughts on it
http://kevarin.deviantart.com/# my little attempt to add some color to the Palladium world

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players

Return to “Dead Reign™”