Two Lines... One Book?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Two Lines... One Book?

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

Just a thought I had, but what if PB were to publish source books for DR that contained both the mystical and non-mystical trains of thought for the game? Sort of like how they did with Mutants in Orbit, where half the book was for Rifts and the other half was After the Bomb. Would that increase or decrease your desire to buy the sourcebooks? For me, I like having as much info as possible.
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Re: Two Lines... One Book?

Unread post by dark brandon »

Involved Observer wrote:Just a thought I had, but what if PB were to publish source books for DR that contained both the mystical and non-mystical trains of thought for the game? Sort of like how they did with Mutants in Orbit, where half the book was for Rifts and the other half was After the Bomb. Would that increase or decrease your desire to buy the sourcebooks? For me, I like having as much info as possible.

AFAIK, they are trying to steer away from this. Its the reason in RUE they took out the original dragons and made new ones. They are trying to keep their licensed product separate from each other.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Severite »

dark brandon wrote:
Involved Observer wrote:Just a thought I had, but what if PB were to publish source books for DR that contained both the mystical and non-mystical trains of thought for the game? Sort of like how they did with Mutants in Orbit, where half the book was for Rifts and the other half was After the Bomb. Would that increase or decrease your desire to buy the sourcebooks? For me, I like having as much info as possible.

AFAIK, they are trying to steer away from this. Its the reason in RUE they took out the original dragons and made new ones. They are trying to keep their licensed product separate from each other.

Im not sure what you mean by your response, what is to be gained by keeping their licensed products seperate from one another>? Particularly in a game designed to have everything plus the kitchen sink?
domus est itire cum etiam tenebrae sordida
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Severite wrote:
dark brandon wrote:

Im not sure what you mean by your response, what is to be gained by keeping their licensed products seperate from one another>? Particularly in a game designed to have everything plus the kitchen sink?

Easier to licence a single independant "brand" like rifts to movie directors and stuff. It's part of the intelectual properties laws and licencing agreements.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Greyaxe wrote:
Severite wrote:
dark brandon wrote:

Easier to licence a single independant "brand" like rifts to movie directors and stuff. It's part of the intelectual properties laws and licencing agreements.

Ah. Course, Im curious still how having dragons pulled from the RMB will serve this function, since mostly, a dragon is a dragon is a dragon, at least as far as most consumers would care.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Severite wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:
Severite wrote:
dark brandon wrote:

Ah. Course, Im curious still how having dragons pulled from the RMB will serve this function, since mostly, a dragon is a dragon is a dragon, at least as far as most consumers would care.

I understand you point, and frankly I dont know enough about the laws to speak intelligently to it however it may be a case of Palladium being "better safe than sorry"
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

Greyaxe wrote:
Severite wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:
dark brandon wrote:

I understand you point, and frankly I dont know enough about the laws to speak intelligently to it however it may be a case of Palladium being "better safe than sorry"

Perhaps so, but to further the line of reasoning, how would having a dual line for the same RPG make it harder to license, as they aren't "converging" to separate IP, they are taking one IP, and giving it paralell material.

edited to A) enforce clarity upon my typed word, and B) create this edit note, as it just seems courteous to include
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

dark brandon, not sure if you understood my first post or not. I was citing Mutants in Orbit as an example of a book with two very different halves. I didn't mean to bring material from other game lines into DR. Sorry if it seemed that way. :oops:

I was just thinking that it would be cool if the material for the demon lord, magic and such was also included in future sourcebooks for DR, along with the regular world stuff. That way, whichever way your personal tastes go, you can have official material to back it up. Sort of two different takes on one game, and all in one book. Just wondering if other people think this is a good idea too. Personally, it would make me want to buy the source books even more. :D
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
dark brandon
Knight

Severite wrote:Perhaps so, but to further the line of reasoning, how would having a dual line for the same RPG make it harder to license, as they aren't "converging" to separate IP, they are taking one IP, and giving it paralell material.

edited to A) enforce clarity upon my typed word, and B) create this edit note, as it just seems courteous to include

I think its something like, If joe gets the license to makes rifts, and he has a great horned dragons, and then bob gets the license to make Palladium Fantasy, he also makes a great horned dragons, now bob and joe are going to have some problem legally because they both made a GHDragon which are infringing on each others rights or something like that.

I was just thinking that it would be cool if the material for the demon lord, magic and such was also included in future sourcebooks for DR, along with the regular world stuff. That way, whichever way your personal tastes go, you can have official material to back it up. Sort of two different takes on one game, and all in one book. Just wondering if other people think this is a good idea too. Personally, it would make me want to buy the source books even more

No, you were clear, you stated like mutants in orbit. But if someone tries to get the licence for that book then they would own or whatever, both sides of it...so if bob had the licence for Mutants in orbit, joe couldn't use either version, for rifts or for TMNT. You'll probably always get conversion notes, but the books themselves will be geared more specifically to a setting or a setting in and of itself.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

dark brandon wrote:
Severite wrote:Perhaps so, but to further the line of reasoning, how would having a dual line for the same RPG make it harder to license, as they aren't "converging" to separate IP, they are taking one IP, and giving it paralell material.

I think its something like, If joe gets the license to makes rifts, and he has a great horned dragons, and then bob gets the license to make Palladium Fantasy, he also makes a great horned dragons, now bob and joe are going to have some problem legally because they both made a GHDragon which are infringing on each others rights or something like that.

I was just thinking that it would be cool if the material for the demon lord, magic and such was also included in future sourcebooks for DR, along with the regular world stuff. That way, whichever way your personal tastes go, you can have official material to back it up. Sort of two different takes on one game, and all in one book. Just wondering if other people think this is a good idea too. Personally, it would make me want to buy the source books even more

No, you were clear, you stated like mutants in orbit. But if someone tries to get the licence for that book then they would own or whatever, both sides of it...so if bob had the licence for Mutants in orbit, joe couldn't use either version, for rifts or for TMNT. You'll probably always get conversion notes, but the books themselves will be geared more specifically to a setting or a setting in and of itself.

Ok, I believe we are still missing each other in the dark........

He is suggesting a book that details two sets of stats, one for Dead Reign caused my magic mojo, one for Dead Reign caused by super science/something else not magic. So, same system, game, the only difference is that if somebody wants the license to Dead Reign, they get both explanations, and can pick, choose, or combine.

My post as quoted was conceding one way or another that your statement about the different dragons is plausible, though I could still argue that a "red dragon" (which in D&D is a species type, btw), in a forgotten realm movie is the same in a hollow world, I dont think it would really have much impact, though, it may very well just be simpler to seperate it, so I concede the point.

The OP's analogy with MiO, was not exact, and he even clarified in the post previous to yours.
dark brandon
Knight

Severite wrote:Ok, I believe we are still missing each other in the dark........

He is suggesting a book that details two sets of stats, one for Dead Reign caused my magic mojo, one for Dead Reign caused by super science/something else not magic. So, same system, game, the only difference is that if somebody wants the license to Dead Reign, they get both explanations, and can pick, choose, or combine.

My post as quoted was conceding one way or another that your statement about the different dragons is plausible, though I could still argue that a "red dragon" (which in D&D is a species type, btw), in a forgotten realm movie is the same in a hollow world, I dont think it would really have much impact, though, it may very well just be simpler to seperate it, so I concede the point.

The OP's analogy with MiO, was not exact, and he even clarified in the post previous to yours.

OH...I see now. I didn't get that, but yeah, he did clerify it, your right, I just didn't get it.

In responce, I don't think there should ever be a definate answer...or...I think and interesting turn would be to have multiple source books, each one devoted to a specific "reason".
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Severite wrote:Ah. Course, Im curious still how having dragons pulled from the RMB will serve this function, since mostly, a dragon is a dragon is a dragon, at least as far as most consumers would care.

The dragons in the original Rifts mainbook were lifted from the Palladium Fantasy RPG, and are thus creations linked to that Intellectual Property. They were replaced with Rifts specific dragons, who are thus tied to the Rifts IP.

Yeah, it can be confusing. The ins and outs of liscensing and IP are more complicated than most romantic relationships.

~ Josh
Severite
Megaversal® Ambassador

dark brandon wrote:
Severite wrote:Ok, I believe we are still missing each other in the dark........

OH...I see now. I didn't get that, but yeah, he did clerify it, your right, I just didn't get it.

In responce, I don't think there should ever be a definate answer...or...I think and interesting turn would be to have multiple source books, each one devoted to a specific "reason".

That could make sense........a sourcebook that lightly details all five theories, so that a maximum of canibalization can occur, even if you dont prefer a particular idea for your Dead Reign, you could use one of the other for plot hooks, or some other idea spawned by such information somewhere else.
dark brandon
Knight

Severite wrote:
dark brandon wrote:

That could make sense........a sourcebook that lightly details all five theories, so that a maximum of canibalization can occur, even if you dont prefer a particular idea for your Dead Reign, you could use one of the other for plot hooks, or some other idea spawned by such information somewhere else.

actually, it's more like Sourcebook: Dead Reign, What has Science done? THis would be a sourcebook detailing zombines being brought with science, and in it, you'd get specific zombie types unique to this type of scourge, such as zombies who vomit acid due to an increase and volatility of stomach acids being produced due to the super-virus.

Then Sourcebook: Dead Reign, Not heaven nor Hell: aspects of a more religious view...with zombies who stink of brimstone

Return to “Dead Reign™”