Dead Reign at the Printer

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Re: Dead Reign at the Printer

Unread post by AlexM »

This game is about zombies taken to another level. The Slouchers are here but so are zombie aberrations. A small percentage of the zombie population that are different for reasons unknown, like the Thinker and the Pattern Zombie. Then there is the Mock Zombie who thinks it isn't dead and the bizarre Half-Living.

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/Merchant2 ... t_Code=230

Oh yeah,
Alex Marciniszyn
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nightbreed »

This game is about zombies taken to another level. The Slouchers are here but so are zombie aberrations. A small percentage of the zombie population that are different for reasons unknown, like the Thinker and the Pattern Zombie. Then there is the Mock Zombie who thinks it isn't dead and the bizarre Half-Living.

See this is what i was talking about in one of the other threads. Things that make this game INTERESTING!!!!! :ok: :ok:

I have to check out the mock zombie!!!

"Whaddya mean i'm dead?" "It CAN'T BE!!!!!" "NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :demon:
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I will reserve judgement until I have read the book.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:I will reserve judgment until I have read the book.

I think I said this on another board, I will withhold endorsement until I have read it cover to cover.

:)

EDIT: Comment Removed
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Shinitenshi wrote:
Nightbreed wrote:

See this is what i was talking about in one of the other threads. Things that make this game INTERESTING!!!!! :ok: :ok:

I have to check out the mock zombie!!!

"Whaddya mean i'm dead?" "It CAN'T BE!!!!!" "NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :demon:

This is the crap that makes it sound like it's going to suck. What in the **** is a Mock Zombie and How in the **** do you have the Half-Living...you can't be half dead.

I was originally excited about this book coming out, mostly for my hubby but from what has been posted on here as being in this book I don't think I am even going to waste my money. We'll use the Rifter stuff and play the original game that was written by a zombie fan for us zombie fans. Not some cracked out version by someone that wouldn't know what a zombie was if it came up and bit him. :badbad:

I can understand it. I've even brought up the idea in other threads. For many survivors the concept of a zombie rise is simply too much for them to take. Their mind jumps right up out of their skull and screams gibbering and they shut off like a light switch. They don't know how to proess it and instead decide to 'become it'. And start acting like the walking dead. Lurching around. Moaning, even eating human flesh and what not. Not because they want to, but because their brains just can't function and they flip out.

In WWZ they called um Quislings. It's not that far fetched what so ever.

As to your what the frak are the half living.. My guess is somone exposed to the zombie maker (( be it virus or bite or magic or what ever)) that only 'half took' I.E. It didn't fully turn them into the undead but didn't leave them 100% immune either. Seeing as we don't know what causes it (( but have 5 different ways to run or what ever WE want it to be)) It's easy to say it didn't work 100% of the time. I mean what DOES work 100% of the time? No sickness is 100%. No magic (( in our RPGS)) is 100%. There's always a savings throw ect....

I feel the pain of the author who's work has been changed. I even PM'd him. I can totally get how he could be upset. But I'm still going to give the book a try. The changes mentioned are one's I've asked for and prefer.

And even with the changes, there's nothing to stop you from using YOUR REASON. As presented in rifter 40 for YOUR ZOMBIES. It's just not forced on us all as the be all and end all reason for the rise.

Which I think is liberating.

Noone's taking it away from you guys. They're just not forcing it on others.

As for the writer being "cut out". I don't think it's that at all. His vision has been edited yes. It appears so. But that's not new to Palladium. Kevin does it on every book. Some heavier than others. this isn't a first time thing. Many times in the forums the writers have said "Well I'm not sure, we'll have to see what was cut and what was added via Kevin."

His name is on most of the books and he __INSISTS__ on every page going though his fingers. This is a long standing thing. Not somthing aimed just at the Zombie book.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
The Galactus Kid

Pepsi Jedi wrote: As for the writer being "cut out". I don't think it's that at all. His vision has been edited yes. It appears so. But that's not new to Palladium. Kevin does it on every book. Some heavier than others. this isn't a first time thing. Many times in the forums the writers have said "Well I'm not sure, we'll have to see what was cut and what was added via Kevin."

His name is on most of the books and he __INSISTS__ on every page going though his fingers. This is a long standing thing. Not somthing aimed just at the Zombie book.

This hits the nail on the head. If you are a freelancer, you can almost guarantee that your original work will be edited by Kevin and the crew. Thats just how it goes. Ultimately, its Kevins company, and kevins baby. He's allowing us to write using his rules set, he's fronting the publishing costs, and HE'S PAYING US. Thats why you sign a contract. If things change, they change, but its not your problem anymore because even as the "author" its no longer your intelectual property once you sign it over.

The haven mutants in madhaven were also heavily edited, so I feel for Josh, but one has to understand that its kevins call and just deal with it in a professional manner, as Josh has. He's been a total class act about all of this. The people I see upset about it aren't involved and haven't seen the finished product yet. Hopefully, people will change their minds and love the book, or let their pocketbooks do the talking once the book is out.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

'Nuff said. As GK pointed out, I'm not anywhere close to this, and as long as it's understood by the writers that this will probably happen and agree upon it, then there isn't much of an argument to make. I still hold to my opinion, but that's no reason to get things stirred up in here. I'm still looking forward to seeing what the book has to offer, and hopefully I didn't ruffle to many feathers. :)
The Galactus Kid

Citizen Lazlo wrote:I'm a writer not a child.

While I may not be thrilled about some of the changes, I'm just happy the book is coming out.

Different isn't always bad.

I'm excited about the book.

:)

See? Class act.

Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Shinitenshi wrote:I understand about the editing, all books get edited and things go and things stay. One of the big problems I have is that it is being Heavily edited by someone that knows very little about zombies. So you've seen Night of the Living Dead does that make you an expert...NO. I mean for someone with barely any knowledge of the zombie phenomenon to go in and add a bunch of **** that doesn't make any sense. The Mock Dead according to other posts this is a ZOMBIE that doesn't believe it's dead, not a human that goes crazy and acts like a zombie. The Half Dead make no sense either. I support Josh and I plan on reading the book to see if it's worth spending money on.

Exactly how do you know Kev isn't just as much an "authority" on zombies as CL? What makes someone an "authority" on zombies??? Please!!! Zombies aren't real... they're just fun scifi stuff. You should always look through any book before buying it, money is too precious right now to do otherwise.
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Shinitenshi wrote:
Maryann wrote:
Shinitenshi wrote:I understand about the editing, all books get edited and things go and things stay. One of the big problems I have is that it is being Heavily edited by someone that knows very little about zombies. So you've seen Night of the Living Dead does that make you an expert...NO. I mean for someone with barely any knowledge of the zombie phenomenon to go in and add a bunch of **** that doesn't make any sense. The Mock Dead according to other posts this is a ZOMBIE that doesn't believe it's dead, not a human that goes crazy and acts like a zombie. The Half Dead make no sense either. I support Josh and I plan on reading the book to see if it's worth spending money on.

Exactly how do you know Kev isn't just as much an "authority" on zombies as CL? What makes someone an "authority" on zombies??? Please!!! Zombies aren't real... they're just fun scifi stuff. You should always look through any book before buying it, money is too precious right now to do otherwise.

Vampires aren't real and you can be an authority on them, Rand McNally was. You can be an authority on a lot of things that aren't "real". I was saying seeing one zombie movie doesn't give you a wide range of knowledge on the subject. I believe KS had said before that he was not a BIG fan of the genre. To go in and make a lot of changes to a book that you have very little knowledge on the subject matter upsets a lot of fans that do have that knowledge. It reminds me of the Twilight series of books. The Author by her own admission never read, or studied vampire lore. She said she had no more then a very basic knowledge of the Vampire Methos. So her vampires bare little resemblance to the Vampires of old, and that irritates Vampire fans. You have to understand real or make believe sci fi and horror fans are passionate about their favorites, so anyone warping something that they enjoy is going to tick them off.

Much like vampire "fans" anyone that has that much invested in the genre should take a step back and relax. Dead Reign will be a fun, kick butt game, of this I have no doubt. I've know Kev for a long time and I have never seen him do anything to a game that didn't need to be done to make it a Palladium quality product. Kev never, ever jumps into anything without much thought and research, so I am absolutely positive that the book that has been produced will be top notch!

Of course I'm biased, but I always admit that.
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

At least your guys's opinions aren't being deleted.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

I don't think any of us have ever seen the dead walking around. Maybe some of us have, unfortunately, seen someone walking around who is Incoherent, in shock, and then drop dead, but none of us have seen anyone who is truely dead walking around. Therefore, how do we know how they should behave? Like the movies? The "traditional" zombie has changed SO much in just the past few years. Is there truely a "traditional" zombie anymore? Personally, I didn't like how Palladiums Vampires are, but it was simple to modify them to what I invisioned. The same goes for the zombies of Dead Reign. From the sound of things and the "teaser" in the Rifter I think this book will be great! If I want something a bit different I'll modify it for my games. It's very simple to do and takes little time or effort to do, but since I don't have the book in my hands yet I'm thinking a bit premature here. No one can rush judgement on something none of us have seen yet. However, we do have our own opinions. Most of us share the opinion that this will be a great book and some have the opinion that it's not going to be up to their "standards" or wants. All everyone is doing is stating their opinion, which we all have the right to do.

"Can't we all just get along." :wink:
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
The Galactus Kid

As I said earlier, I will reserve judgement until the book is released. Also, Taylor White will probablly run our game and we will probably only be allowed a couple of classes from Dead Reign and BTS2. Not only that, but I'm sure that Taylor has his own idea for the story and will ignore the majority of dead reigh anyway.

The Galactus Kid

GreenGhost wrote:"Can't we all just get along." :wink:

Also, my favorite part of this is that we actually all DO get along. Josh, and ninja bunn, and shini, and the palladium staffers all hung out at the open house and made great and lasting friendships. We just have different opinions about some things, but nothing that friendly conversation over baked goods and beer can't fix (or at least we'll agree to disagree) :-D

tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Well folks, this is my last hurrah. I wouldn't let a local company treat me like this, and Palladium is no exception. I for one will not be buying any more Palladium products, and will probably destroy the ones that I own now. It's a shame, because there is a lot of nostalgia involved for me, and I've spent quite a bit. But I won't stand by and let this board make me out to be some sort of subversive (as one poster has put it already, I MUST have done something really bad to get deleted). Anyone who got the chance to read my original post (and the post down from it where I conceded that it was none of my affair) should know that there was NO WAY I should heve been censored like that. It won't be a problem any longer, since I'm severing any ties I might have had to Palladium. I wish the rest of you the best.
The Galactus Kid

I'm sorry you feel that way, tundro. I thought that we were having a nice dialogue. Maybe you can repost your censored comment in a different way. I would still appreciate your input.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

tundro wrote:Well folks, this is my last hurrah. I wouldn't let a local company treat me like this, and Palladium is no exception. I for one will not be buying any more Palladium products, and will probably destroy the ones that I own now. It's a shame, because there is a lot of nostalgia involved for me, and I've spent quite a bit. But I won't stand by and let this board make me out to be some sort of subversive (as one poster has put it already, I MUST have done something really bad to get deleted). Anyone who got the chance to read my original post (and the post down from it where I conceded that it was none of my affair) should know that there was NO WAY I should heve been censored like that. It won't be a problem any longer, since I'm severing any ties I might have had to Palladium. I wish the rest of you the best.

Hey man instead of destroying the books you have. You can send um to me. :)

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
The Galactus Kid

Ninjabunny wrote:As long as I don't have to do a hand stand. :lol:
Yes, I am very very passionate about the zombie genre and as stated I will read it at my local comic shop when it comes out. If I like it .) I will get it in a grab bag. If I don't like It I will play Rifter 40's version.

I ordered my grab bag the other day, and I'm pretty sure that once Dead reign comes out, they'll be sending it my way. I'm stoked.

Also, you can do all the handstands you want, just don't bust your head up and bleed all over my carpet. hahahaha. Chun li whupped you good.

Return to “Dead Reign™”