Foriegn units in Recon

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dominique
Dungeon Crawler

Foriegn units in Recon

Unread post by Dominique »

Have any of you used, or thought of using, foreign units, such as units from Australia or New Zealand, in your games? The Aussies could be from the Special Air Service Regiment (SASR), the Australian Army Training Team Vietnam (AATTV), or one of the infantry units (especially one of teh battalion Recon Platoons). The Kiwis could be from 1 NZ SAS Squadron (they were integrated into the the Australian SAS units units operating in Vietnam), or NZ Infantry unit. I've got a few rough ideas for foreign MOSs, that I'll post later. As well as some info on their weapons.
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men"
"No one assails me without punishment"
Dominique
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Foriegn units in Recon

Unread post by Dominique »

OK, here's a little info I've been tinkering with for Aussie units. SASR Troopers would choose either RTO, Medic, Sniper, or Demolitions as their Primary MOS (Those are the primary jobs the SASR trains for). As far weapons go, they typically carried 7.62mm Self Loading Rifles (SLR), although several Troopers did us a modified cut down version. For Pistols use the Brown HP 9mm pistols. Unlike the US the Australians made use of sub-machineguns. They used a silenced version of the Sterling 9mm SMG. Machine Gunners carried the US M-60. Grenadiers carried M-79 40mm GL. They also used standard US Army Claymore mines and hand grenades. I've got to do a little digging to see what type of sniper rifles and shotguns they carried.

The AATTV functioned in capacity similar to US Army SF "A-Teams", being attached to and training groups of South Vietnamese Troops, and carried the same weapons as the SASR. Many of the AATTV troops were Commandos from the Australian Army Reserve, former Members of the SASR, or came from other combat arms units within the Australian Army. NZ SAS Troopers would be outfitted similarly to the their Australian counterparts.
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men"
"No one assails me without punishment"

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”