Hardware ideas

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Hardware ideas

Unread post by ZEN »

Found this floating around in an old folder on my laptop.. just a list of ideas I had which I was going to stat up.. but thought it might be of use to someone else writing about hardware?

Energy Systems
Electromagnetic Pulse Generator
Microwave Power Grid
Thermal Converter
Inertial Power Cell
Photonic Storage Cell

Sensory Equipment
Kirlian imager
Holographic Projector
Holographic Camera System
Neural Scanner
Nano Scanner
Tricorder
Intrusion Beam Scanner
Electromagnetic Scanner
Temporal Distortion Detector

Computer Systems
Neurologic Processor
Optical Processor
Artificial Intelligence Processor
Neural Recording Processor
Neural Projector

Implants
Cortex Pin Implant
Neurologic Linking Device
Neural Transfer System

Medical
Bio Etheric device
Feedback Restraints
Neural Dampener Restraint

Serums
Activated Stem Cell Serum
Growth Stimulator Serum
Mitochondria Replacement Serum
Bone Restructuring Serum
Collagen Enhancement Serum
Neural Enhancement Serum
Auto Immune System Enhancement

Chemical
Universal Solvent

Devices
Temporal Chamber
Null Entropy Chamber
Temporal Distortion Device
Contra Gravity Device
Inertial Dampening System
Force Field Generator
Repulsion Force Generator
Nano Recycler
Nano Constructor
Nano Cube System
Redundant Systems
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Aren't you interested in stating these out for a Rifter submission? I'd love to see this stuff written up.

Carl
ImageImage
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Hmm.. I make no promises.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

On the verge of creating Jedi!!! :D j/k
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Mitochondria actually power each cell in your body. There is generally nothing mystical about them. Generally speaking that is. What you are thinking is mitochlorians.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

I think he is aware of that.

Merely swapping one species of Mitochondria for another wouldn't produce any dramatic effects, but engineering a super strain of the mitochondrial cells would be interesting.
Aramanthus
Monk

Probably right about that. I was tired and had to respond. Unfortunately it was a trap I fell into! :oops: :D Oh well! You've got some cool toys that need to be developed.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

More ideas..
I was creating a random space based encounter table and had an incident with a large multi cargo vessel (the type with a crew made up of families) with a fault in it's star drive, the scary kind of fault where there is a breach in the realitivistic sump which causes accellerated aging in anyone who gets near it.. yeah baby.. a device that deals with time dilation can go bad on ya.

Bwuahaha!

I also figured out exactly how the Time Lords built the TARDIS and am thinking about sending the Dr Who people a script idea.. but I can't talk about that here.
Bummer, it's a great concept.

Hmmm.. I could talk about multi dimensional engineering however..

Interested?
8-)

Maybe this can just be my design space thread.. I'll mull over ideas and throw them on here for you guys to view.
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

AJ Pickett wrote:
Hmmm.. I could talk about multi dimensional engineering however..

Interested?
8-)

umm....YEAH!!
ImageImage
Aramanthus
Monk

I agree with Carl! I'd like to hear your thoughts on it! (Multi Dimensional engineering that is.)

HH....FIE
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Re: Hardware ideas

Unread post by Zenvis »

AJ Pickett wrote:Found this floating around in an old folder on my laptop.. just a list of ideas I had which I was going to stat up.. but thought it might be of use to someone else writing about hardware?

Energy Systems
Electromagnetic Pulse Generator
Microwave Power Grid
Thermal Converter
Inertial Power Cell
Photonic Storage Cell

Sensory Equipment
Kirlian imager
Holographic Projector
Holographic Camera System
Neural Scanner
Nano Scanner
Tricorder
Intrusion Beam Scanner
Electromagnetic Scanner
Temporal Distortion Detector

Computer Systems
Neurologic Processor
Optical Processor
Artificial Intelligence Processor
Neural Recording Processor
Neural Projector

Implants
Cortex Pin Implant
Neurologic Linking Device
Neural Transfer System

Medical
Bio Etheric device
Feedback Restraints
Neural Dampener Restraint

Serums
Activated Stem Cell Serum
Growth Stimulator Serum
Bone Restructuring Serum
Collagen Enhancement Serum
Neural Enhancement Serum
Auto Immune System Enhancement

Chemical
Universal Solvent

Devices
Temporal Chamber
Null Entropy Chamber
Temporal Distortion Device
Contra Gravity Device
Inertial Dampening System
Force Field Generator
Repulsion Force Generator
Nano Recycler
Nano Constructor
Nano Cube System
Redundant Systems

Hey AJ,

Do you remember my Hardware Characters Classes? Would you like to see them again?
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

I have a few of those myself.. but no, I'd rather just stick to things that I can flip easily between RPG systems, as I am running others these days.
Still, the concepts are the thing, so I'll just throw them at you guys if you don't mind.. you can assign numbers if you like, but some of it will be largely in the realm of GM fiat, you know?
Plot devices.. heh heh.

OK first up.

Take a technologically advanced culture and watch as they build a large installation for the generation of extremely high energy fields.
They have an aim in mind from the outset, because they know what they are dealing with.
They build an installation that can compress space by concentrating energy into a current so tightly looped that it becomes super solid.. so solid that it becomes impossible for any energy to escape from it, or pass through it.. it breaks free from the conventional rules of the universe and becomes a spinning, hyper extruded singularity.. a wormhole, basically.
This is a stabilised pseudo universe that exists around a hyper extruded ring of immense energy, which obeys it's own specific laws of time and space.. here is how those new laws are exploited.

When the wormhole is created, a discrete portal opens above the singularity, this extends down and engulfs the entire thing.. the singularity then executes an adjustment, basically following any means available to equalise it's charge, it hyper extends through time, becoming a line of force that extends from the first moments, to the last moments of the universe, but as it is unable to interact with the actual universe, because it's charge is locked up in on itself.. it remains stable.
The designers then manipulate the portal mouth by building a structure inside it.. this is a new mini universe, a space on the other side of a hole in the universe.. inside they arrange a device around the stable singularity which can move up or down the line of near infinate force, thereby travelling backward or forward through time.
The mouth of the portal is then anchored to a structure, basically a box to enclose it and retain the air inside the engine room they have constructed.. the wormhole portal is not restrained to any specific orientation from the inside of the wormhole, because it obeys it's own physical laws.. this also means that any rotational movement of the device around the singularity will move the portal mouth through space, to any physical location in the universe.

The box is now larger on the inside than it is on the outside, can move anywhere in time or space, and the inside is always stable, no matter what is happening to the box.. because it is simply a shell, attached to the mouth of a stabilised wormhole.

The door of the box is the only part of the wormhole, it's singularity core and the engine attached to it, plus any other stuff inside the doorway, that is attached to the outside universe.. if the box is destroyed, the doorway will still be there.

That, is an example of one type of multi dimensional engineering.
8-)
Aramanthus
Monk

That sounds like the description of a TARDIS. I enjoyed reading your text. It has a quantum mechanics feel to it! I'm hoping to see more soon! Thank you for sharing what you did.

HH....FIE
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Yeah, the interesting theories attached to cosmology and quantum mechanics are the concepts such as charge, mass and spin being properties of both basic sub atomic particles, and extremely high energy objects such as singularities.

If anyone seriously wants to travel between the stars then they had better start inventing ways to get around the limitations of conventional time and space.. or figure out how to live forever and not care how long it takes to get from A to Z.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Neural Scanner, Neural dampener and Neuralogic Tech.

So for a few years now, science has been progressing on brain/computer interfacing.
At present, the technology is focused on restoring some measure of completely artificial (prosthetic) sight to the totally blind.. to some degree of success.
A plate of very fine pinpoint electrical emitters is placed on top of the brain surface, above the visual cortex.. a wide area of the brain which recieves visual signals from the optic nerves.. the plate/chip sends signals one by one and the recipient informs the guy programming a laptop, what it looks like when the signal is recieved.. a bright light, a dot, somewhere in the field of view, they point at it and the coordinates are locked in.
The size of the pins on the chip determines how many points of light the chip can display for the visual field of the recipient, so major strides forward can be expected in future as the manufacturing technology gets better.
However..
If the same effect can be done in a non invasive way, say with induction via a magnetic field or something which has the same general effect, but with a much finer level of control and flexibility, then we can not only produce a near perfect replacement for lost eyesight, but can move beyond that, into a working mind/machine interface.
A magnetic field which can induce fine signals in the brain can also inhibit brain function.. a brain impairing restraint of some kind would be quite safe and very effective at transporting violent offenders, dangerous psychics or mages.. once removed, the brain functions are no longer inhibited and the subjects snaps out of it instantly.
Computer systems could have a generic access system which recieves a persons mind map.. because no two brains have all the same points for the same signals in their brain.. each brain is just as unique as a finger print and probably even more variable.. and using the mind map, we could use it as a personal ID code, have devices keyed to a person's unique brain pattern ID, and have computers which send all their information directly into your brain, as sights, sounds, smells.. you name it.
The brain can't distinguish a perfect fake signal from the bodie's own nerve signals.. but it could certainly tell when it was recieving two conflicting signals!
Neuralogic Tech is my title for any direct brain computer interface, a Neural Scanner is the device which allows the computer to map the brain pattern, it would also work as a great lie detector and if the distant future, perhaps we could create a brain to computer interface, making our thoughts become actual direct projections via a computer and some fancy holographic emitters.

But you get the idea.
8-)
Aramanthus
Monk

It would certainly make the entertainment industry a thing of the past or heavily modify it, if people could generate their own entertainment shows by using a brain / computer interface that would allow viewing of some interesting personnal concepts.

HH....FIE
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

OK, so dimensional engineering continued.
Take a link between universes where the physical laws differ slightly, and where matter exchange between them can circumvent the hungry entropic effect of our home dimension.
Isaac Asimov wrote about this in his book "The Gods themselves", and he did a very fine job of creating a great story from a physics concept.
In our universe, the strong nuclear force governs the nature of atomic structure, radioactive decay and to some extent, the interaction of sub atomic particles. He described a situation in which beings from another dimension manage to tune some particles to the right energy frequency and use them as gateway points between their dimension and ours. They exchange material which is inert in their dimension, but is highly radioactive as soon as it is sent over to ours, exchanging places with the exact same amount of matter from our dimension.. this energy exchange is two way, so matter from here, which is inert within our physical laws, is highly energised by exposure to their laws.
So.. you can effectively pump energy between the universes, practically forever, for free.
This can apply to different types of variance in physical laws, and if it turns out that pumping matter between two universes is bad news for us, we can just as easily find the equal opposite of that set up, pump a negative charge of energy and balance out the entire process.

Another application is the ability to shunt energy into an extradimensional space.. so you can drag free energy from another universe, expell it as a propellant, and shunt excess momentum into another universe, creating a starship which can move very quickly, with a minimal requirement for fuel space and a way to quickly slow down when it needs to.

Of course, it's all just a theory, but if even one other dimension can be accessed, then pretty much any type of dimension you go looking for is likely to be there waiting for you.
Aramanthus
Monk

That is an interesting theory. I've heard some of it in other forms. It be interesting to tie your theory into the M dimensional theory. And use some of the infinite universes.

HH....FIE
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Mephisto wrote:
AJ Pickett wrote:Yeah, the interesting theories attached to cosmology and quantum mechanics are the concepts such as charge, mass and spin being properties of both basic sub atomic particles, and extremely high energy objects such as singularities.

If anyone seriously wants to travel between the stars then they had better start inventing ways to get around the limitations of conventional time and space.. or figure out how to live forever and not care how long it takes to get from A to Z.

I want someone to build the Event Horizon now!!! :x :x :x :x
That movie was the only movie to ever give me nightmares...
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”