Army Men and Table Top Gaming.

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Peacebringer
Adventurer

Army Men and Table Top Gaming.

Unread post by Peacebringer »

Given the rise of cheap stuff from China, alla Dollar Stores, one could get a few bags of those little plastic army men and have a good tabletop battle. You get also find little nick-nacks that would work great for terrain such as little decorative trees and such.

The store by my house has packs of firemen and police men, I suppose I could have a battle Cops vs. Firemen. Those axes are going to hurt.

Yeah.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

sounds like when I was a kid.

I re-created my grandfather's time in North Africa. the german's never knew what hit them.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

Man! I would love to get my paws on a Twilight 2k core rule book.All I have is the U.S. vehicle guide.That reminds me does PB have a CWB source book with modern vehicles?
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Figures from china? Better not put 'em in your mouth.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

batlchip wrote:Man! I would love to get my paws on a Twilight 2k core rule book.All I have is the U.S. vehicle guide.That reminds me does PB have a CWB source book with modern vehicles?

they were re-printed not that long back. do a google search and see if it's still in print or if T2K13 has come out yet.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Miniatures are great, but it takes so long to paint them and now they are expensive. They cost twice as much as they did in the mid-90s...

Jefffar wrote:Figures from china? Better not put 'em in your mouth.

Too late...
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

Does anyone outthere remember the tiny plastic soldiers? I think they were called "H O Men." At least that's what my cousin called them. I think I'll check out the hobby stores and see if I can get a hold of some. They'd allow you to have more room for terrain (drawn or 3D- whatever your poison). :D
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Peacebringer
Adventurer

I have those at the local dollar store too. Little painted army men. They usually come in sets so you have terrain to play with now....
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I have a bunch of 1:72 men (I think HO is 1:76th, so 1:72 is probably OO)
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
tgunner91
Explorer

Re:

Unread post by tgunner91 »

Jefffar wrote:I have a bunch of 1:72 men (I think HO is 1:76th, so 1:72 is probably OO)

20mm is what they translate to depending one how big they actually are. IIRC, 1:72 means that 1 inch equals 72 in the real world. So a true 1/72 should be roughly 25mm tall. Most modern '20mm' are more like 22-23mm tall. The plastics are pretty thin compared to the more chunky metal figures. The metal boys run around $1-1.50 per figure. That sounds expensive, but you're generally only collecting maybe a platoon or so of figures... which isn't too bad.

Plastics are still a lot cheaper, however you can't cherry pick what you want. You're stuck with the poses you get and sometimes it's hard to just build a couple of decent squads out of the figures you get. The metal figs are just worth the money. They are even cheaper if you go 15mm (now you're talking $.50 a casting).
Dominique
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Army Men and Table Top Gaming.

Unread post by Dominique »

Also, SJG games has it's Cardboard Heroes line. The "Modern" set has cops, civilians, guerrillas, terrorists, US Army Rangers, Special Forces, Delta Force, Navy SEALs, Special Air Service, and lots of other goodies that can be used, including a wide assortment of US and former Soviet Block weapons.
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men"
"No one assails me without punishment"
tgunner91
Explorer

Re: Army Men and Table Top Gaming.

Unread post by tgunner91 »

Dominique wrote:Also, SJG games has it's Cardboard Heroes line. The "Modern" set has cops, civilians, guerrillas, terrorists, US Army Rangers, Special Forces, Delta Force, Navy SEALs, Special Air Service, and lots of other goodies that can be used, including a wide assortment of US and former Soviet Block weapons.

Good point! If you go to DriveThruRpg you can find other companies that make paper minis (usually in 25mm or so). That is the cheapest bang for the buck as you can print as many of these guys as you want. You just have the one time charge of buying the set and the costs of printing which are fairly low.

Here's a good set:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_i ... 19800&it=1

This company makes tons of other stuff too!
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Re:

Unread post by Reelman »

Rockwolf66 wrote:
batlchip wrote:Man! I would love to get my paws on a Twilight 2k core rule book.All I have is the U.S. vehicle guide.That reminds me does PB have a CWB source book with modern vehicles?

they were re-printed not that long back. do a google search and see if it's still in print or if T2K13 has come out yet.

Twilight 2013 came out in PDF around XMAS and started shipping in hard back in April. It is a nice reboot of a great setting. It will do until Warpath come out.

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”