Multi MOS Characters

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aaryq
Adventurer

Multi MOS Characters

Unread post by Aaryq »

In order to not threadjack, I'll start a new thread

What do you do if you want 1 more MOS?

Obviously, it's not a rule in the books, but how would you handle someone who wants to LatMov (take on a new MOS)?
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

He's rotated stateside for new training.

He will also need the built up ExP to take the skills he will need for his new MoS.

Though occasionally I will have the entire team get special training for a particular mission (a favourite of mine is night fighting skills).
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Re: Multi MOS Characters

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

I'll be sending this stuff off to the Rifter soon, but here is the Cross Training part:
Cross Training and/or Branch of Service Realignment
Most soldiers spend their entire career in their starting MOS’s. Bouncing around from MOS to MOS is inefficient, and is highly discouraged for most soldiers; however, some soldiers are not satisfied with their initial choice of PMOS or SMOS. As well, cross training ensures that a unit commander will always have soldiers available to perform, or assist with, critical tasks. The priority of a cross training is determined by how important that the task is to the unit or Branch of Service (BOS). To that end, all of the branches of service have cross-training programs within their service.
Should a character wish to take on the duties of another PMOS that is not in the same BOS as he is currently enlisted, he will have to re-enlist with the new Branch of Service. This is a bureaucratic nightmare. The MD and the player will have to work through all of the requirements before this can take place (why, when, how, etc.). It is unlikely that a character will really get an opportunity to realign is service of enlistment.
Consequently, a cross training or service realignment could be more of a hindrance than a help. However, for those of you who still desire to split a career, here are the rules and conditions.
    1. The character must earn 1000 experience points before he can begin accumulating experience again after the change. This means that he will not be able to improve until he has met the 1000 point prerequisite. Once this has been achieved the 1000 points are lost and the character can begin to accumulate experience normally once again.
    2. The character will begin the new PMOS or SMOS at “Training Level,” which means the usual PMOS or SMOS skills are selected, but NO BONUSES APPLY.
    3. The previous/original PMOS or SMOS skill knowledge and proficiency are permanently frozen at the point when the new PMOS or SMOS was selected. This means that, while the character retains his previous PMOS or SMOS skill knowledge and abilities, those skills are not increasing because he spends the bulk of the time in perfecting the new skills. (If any of the old skills are trained by the new MOS, the character can still advance those skills as they are still being used.)

I hope this helps.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
kirksmithicus
Explorer
Comment: Random Encounter #55

Re: Multi MOS Characters

Unread post by kirksmithicus »

Changing MOS also occasionally happens because an MOS gets outdated because of the introduction of new equipment. Usually people are retrained on the new equipment and then the description of the MOS is changed or the people being retrained have their MOS changed. I happen to be a rare case in which the tech. for my MOS was updated but I was deployed oversees while they did all the retraining. So myself and a handful of other people came back to the states with an obsolete MOS that was no longer on the TOE. I actually ended up in my new unit because they made a mistake on the TOE and forgot to take my MOS off but got rid of the equipment. So I ended up doing odd jobs for awhile until they realized that I had a security clearance and then they made me work in the S-2 and S-3. Eventually I was retrained in a new MOS but they did not have the budget to send me back to AIT for it, so I got two weeks of OJT (point machinegun that way and shoot) and they switched my MOS.

This probably doesn't help with your question much, but it does illustrate how the army can work like a the clunky rusty machine it sometimes is. :D
"Wealth is hard to come by, but poverty is always at hand"
    -- Proverb from Ki-en-gir (Sumer), c. 2000 BCE

Prometheus Project

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”