Why do YOU love Recon?

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aaryq
Adventurer

Why do YOU love Recon?

Unread post by Aaryq »

Lucky and I (and someone who isn't a member here) just started playing recon not too long ago. This game F*self edit*ing rocks. It is the bee's knees and the cat's pajamas.

I love Recon because you can create a character in under 10 minutes.
You don't have to roll to sing.
It's very fast paced during combat.
It's not all just action, there can be a lot of non-combat interactions and playing in character.
It's so much closer to reality. In standard Palladium rules, you can stack physical skills, choose the right OCC and take a point blank from a .44 Magnum without flinching. In Recon, you can get stabbed with a knife and almost die. This is good trash right here, you understand?

Why do you love Recon.
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Simplistic yet plausible game engine.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

it's easy to play and is fairly realistic. The only thing that I find wrong with it is the rate of fire rules. Having some experiance with a wide variety of small arms the hit rate they have for automatic weapons seems to indicate blind spraying.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

Rockwolf66 wrote:it's easy to play and is fairly realistic. The only thing that I find wrong with it is the rate of fire rules. Having some experiance with a wide variety of small arms the hit rate they have for automatic weapons seems to indicate blind spraying.

I agree with you completely. Being a former Marine Corp Heavy Gunner I know from personal experience how accurate an automatic weapon can be. They "can" be used for "spaying" and can be quite effective in that way as well, but it isn't its only function. With proper training they can be accurate as Hell.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

GreenGhost wrote:
Rockwolf66 wrote:it's easy to play and is fairly realistic. The only thing that I find wrong with it is the rate of fire rules. Having some experiance with a wide variety of small arms the hit rate they have for automatic weapons seems to indicate blind spraying.

I agree with you completely. Being a former Marine Corp Heavy Gunner I know from personal experience how accurate an automatic weapon can be. They "can" be used for "spaying" and can be quite effective in that way as well, but it isn't its only function. With proper training they can be accurate as Hell.

I take it you have seen my sister shoot an L-7 GPMG(M-240G). There is nothing to humble a man like watching his older sister shred a target with a GPMG and out of a 100 round belt find 94 holes in the target.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Rockwolf66 wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:

I take it you have seen my sister shoot an L-7 GPMG(M-240G). There is nothing to humble a man like watching his older sister shred a target with a GPMG and out of a 100 round belt find 94 holes in the target.

Nice! :P
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

Since I was a former member of theال-سرمسن جيهد (Crimson Jyhad), I've had some experience with automatic fire and....just kidding.

I've stayed away from Recon as I was already familar with the Palladium system (D&D's hit points :roll:) and I didn't like that system and I assumed Recon used a similar system. Does it? If not, I have a few questions.

How does the Recon rules compare to Cyberpunk 2020 system? Are the Recon rules more realistic? Are they faster/more efficient, etc?

Are there vehicle rules for Recon as well? Has anyone thought of creating "Mechs" for the Recon game?

I'm having a problem in CP2020 with area effect and automatic fire. An AV or an IFV can take a hit of, say, 44 20mm rounds and survive, however, rolling for each round's hit and possible penetration is time consuming and takes away from game time. Though, it can be kind of fun to figure out if your AV is going to be too crippled to make it back to base and you have to ditch it and walk, 500miles though arid, desert terrain with an oxygen content of around 10%(for another game), but anyways, oh, and I use ACPA rules for vehicles.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Recon uses a fundamentally different system oreinted towards wargaming instead of role playing.

Each character has 3 attributes (Strength, Agility and Alertness) and a umber of weapon and non weapon skills. Evrything is percentile checks with modifiers.

One of my favourite parts of the system is that Strength not only represents your lifting capability but also your endurance and your movement speed. As you take damage it comes off your strength - meaning a sevrely wounded character is substantively impaired rather than fighting at full power.

Characters are designed to be made up in under 15 minutes and a few poor decisions in combat can cause the entire party to be wiped out in short order.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

It's much more realistic than anything else I've played.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Capt. Amundson wrote:Definitely have to agree, it's realistic. I just missed 'Nam myself, so I can actually play the game without PTSD ;-)

LOL! I was a bit young for Nam- lol (born in '70). My father had 3 tours with the 173rd. I just found out that he earned 4 Bronze Stars during that time. If I knew that when I was a kid I would have cleaned my room a little better :P
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Capt. Amundson wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:
Capt. Amundson wrote:Definitely have to agree, it's realistic. I just missed 'Nam myself, so I can actually play the game without PTSD ;-)

LOL! I was a bit young for Nam- lol (born in '70). My father had 3 tours with the 173rd. I just found out that he earned 4 Bronze Stars during that time. If I knew that when I was a kid I would have cleaned my room a little better :P

Almost wish I had served and gotten those Bronze Stars. Maybe my son would have cleaned his room better. lol

LOL! My son is 15 and I told him if he can't sweep a floor he can't drive a car. He's getting better.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

:lol:
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”