Is Alter Aura picking on Mask Psionics?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would say that the new is stepping on the toes of the older, or riding on the older's coattails. In this case the older power is Alter Aura.

I don't see why they even made the power mask PSI, becasue that is one part of what Alter Aura does at a lower cost and longer duration.

I would go with bosting the MP duration to that of AA and cut the cost of MP to half of AA.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The difference is alter aura does not mask your psychic SCENT, that dog boys and psi-stalkers can detect. You can alter your aura all you want, but their powers are not based on aura so for Rifts they had to invent new powers to fill that function: namely Mask Psionics & ISP and Mask PPE.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

I agree completely with the Lady; Nekira Sudacne.

With just Alter Aura, the RMB has always said that Psi-Stalkers and Dog Boys always pick out the scent/presence of a Mind Melter-the most Powerful, and customizable Psychic in the RMB/RUE! Without Mask I.S.P. & Psionics, the Mind Melters would have been hunted to extreme lengths, as they represrent most of what the CS fears:a Supernatural Psi Powerhouse who can do almost anything and still PASS FOR HUMAN!

Only those the CS never finds out about/can identify will survive the Stalker/Dog Boy Hunter/Killer Teams.

When playing a Mind Melter, I ALWAYS take Mask I.S.P. & Psionics at 1st Level (starting when it came out),and am not above using it whenever Stalkers and/or Dog Boys are near.
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

ahh ... i likes a psi that 'thinks'

when you have to hide from stalkers and their teams .. what better way than to hide 'out in the open' with the masses of other humans.

take the 'alter aura' all you want and attempt to 'hide' .. i would rather be thought of as 'mindless chattle' than someone that could be hiding behind .. a mask ...
just my thoughts
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The difference is alter aura does not mask your psychic SCENT, that dog boys and psi-stalkers can detect. You can alter your aura all you want, but their powers are not based on aura so for Rifts they had to invent new powers to fill that function: namely Mask Psionics & ISP and Mask PPE.

HUmmmm, and here I was thinking that that their aura was linked to their PSI scent.*mildly sarcastic* With a aura change comes a new (no) PSI scent.

There is an example of a char using AA to cover his magic and Psi in the middle of Chi Town in the Story "A Chance in a Million".
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:The difference is alter aura does not mask your psychic SCENT, that dog boys and psi-stalkers can detect. You can alter your aura all you want, but their powers are not based on aura so for Rifts they had to invent new powers to fill that function: namely Mask Psionics & ISP and Mask PPE.

HUmmmm, and here I was thinking that that their aura was linked to their PSI scent.*mildly sarcastic* With a aura change comes a new (no) PSI scent.

There is an example of a char using AA to cover his magic and Psi in the middle of Chi Town in the Story "A Chance in a Million".

Nope. Aura has absolutly, positivly, nothing to do with their scent.

and this story is where? I don't recall it being in any offical source. and more importantly, was it written before or after Psyscape was released?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

snip...

and this story is where? I don't recall it being in any offical source. and more importantly, was it written before or after Psyscape was released?

The story "One Chance in a Million" was published in Rifters 15, 16,17. Which was after Psyscape was published.

When they pubishied PS Iwas wondering why they had thous powers that were More costly then AA, that did only Parts of what AA did, and didn't last as Long as AA does.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

snip...

The story "One Chance in a Million" was published in Rifters 15, 16,17. Which was after Psyscape was published.

When they pubishied PS Iwas wondering why they had thous powers that were More costly then AA, that did only Parts of what AA did, and didn't last as Long as AA does.

Simply. they did things alter aura dosn't actually do. the parts in the story should be changed.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”