Stupid yet brave stunts your chr. has done.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Last year open house, the game is Chaos Earth. We are Nema forces patrolling a university for survivors and food which is rumored to be in the bowls of the university. We use our flashlight to travel down dark corridors as the power is out. We come upon a door with a plant, or vine, covering it. My lore skills tell me this vine is a creature and is susceptible to silver and electricity. The GM tells me there is a power conduit running beside the sealed door. I leap off the staircase trying to grab the conduit and pull it free from the wall. I land hard against the wall but successfully grab the conduit. I’m now within striking distance of the vine creature. It swipes at me inflicting moderate damage. I pull and pull and pull, the creature hits and hits and hits. Finally the conduit breaks open and I attack the creature with the wires inside. There is no power.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

I my entire party had Improved Invis up and we where inside a Mechanoid walker when two Mechanoids where blocking the doorway. So I did the only thing that made any sense, I hit one of the Mechanoids with my bow (2d6+3 sdc) and made my self visible. Both Mechanoids chased after me and killed me but the rest of the party was able to plant the explosives and get my body.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

But did they pay for your ressurection?
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Shadyslug
Hero
Comment: Ding ding ding there goes my wagon...

Unread post by Shadyslug »

Went head to head with a UAR Enforcer...

But he was a HunterCat and went berserk and ended up tearing his way into the crew compartment...
Often times, we must atone for the sins of the father...
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Greyaxe wrote:But did they pay for your ressurection?

No the GM used the resurrection to blackmail me into a contract with the government of Dweomer.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

rat_bastard wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:But did they pay for your ressurection?

No the GM used the resurrection to blackmail me into a contract with the government of Dweomer.

Clever GM.
goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by goodhometownboy »

i was playing a hero in the rifts world i had super energy explusion, flight wingless and bio-ghost... my group was hired to assinate a chi-town burbs criminal lord by another crime lord... well when we found him he was walking from his compound to his hover car sourrounded buy about 10 guards that where heavly armed (and of course there using guns in which i was not immune to) and he was about 200 yrds away and a 10 foot eletric fence was between us and him...well character being a hero normally wouldn't do assination attempts except he had been caputureing little kids and using them for drugs experments and trafficing... so i despised him.. so i got the bright idea to "fly" over the fence and rush him in my anger ( so the gm told me to roll prowl and rolled a 2% and got a perfect ambush)and charge into him at 220mph and use bio-ghost (which make me intangable) well since he was in the center of the guards they all shot at me but being intangable the plasma shots when through me and hit and killed him.. while this was being done my group was able to take the guards out.. oh and i didn't have any armor on
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

the_robot wrote:... our Techno-Wizard kills their Glitterboy in 3 attacks ...

:?:
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Semisonic9 wrote:
Mack wrote:
the_robot wrote:... our Techno-Wizard kills their Glitterboy in 3 attacks ...

:?:

Yeah, was wondering if anyone else caught that...

~Semi

Yes, and all I want to know is...HOW? :?
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

While GMing a game, the band of PCs (between 6th and 8th level) was trying to protect a group of refugees from the wraith of the CS. The refugees were fleeing a small city. One of the PCs, a Juicer acting as a rear guard, got cut off from the rest of the party and came under fire from a CS Helicopter Gunship.

He retreated into a multi story building, the Gunship following along at treetop level, blasting everything in sight (the Juicer, a few refugees, a couple of buildings, etc.)

Hiding in the building, his p-beam rifle out of ammo, he stayed hidden as the chopper came to a halt next to the building, still gunning at the party and the refugees, keeping them pinned down until reinforcements could arrive.

The player then threw me for a loop. He was almost level with chopper, and declared that he would jump from the building, landing on one of the gunship's "wings", pump an entire Naruni pistol clip into the cockpit, then jump away before the chopper crashed.

Yes, it flys in the face of every law of physics, but its a RPG, right? So, I allowed the attempt. He was ALMOST successful. He managed to blast the cockpit to smithereens, but didn't survive the crash.

The table erupted in applause. It was an awesome death, and certainly one befitting a Juicer.
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Guy_LeDouche wrote:While GMing a game, the band of PCs (between 6th and 8th level) was trying to protect a group of refugees from the wraith of the CS. The refugees were fleeing a small city. One of the PCs, a Juicer acting as a rear guard, got cut off from the rest of the party and came under fire from a CS Helicopter Gunship.

I wasn't playing, but watching a group on this one.

Similar to your story only with a Battle Magi. Doing re-guard on a banch of refugees, and got separated.

He came under attack by a pair of old style SAMAS. He used Deflect and Magic Net to bring one to the ground, were he proceeded to take it out up close with the Fist of Fury spell. Since the second SAMAS could not fire on him for fear of striking his wingman, it to dropped to the ground and attempted to aid his friend by teaming up on the BM in close quarters. The BM not only was victorious, but also still had over 30 M.D.C. on his armor left (went threw an Armor of Ithan spell with 60 M.D.C. and 15 M.D.C. on his armor). I was rather impressed, along with the rest of the group (which counted a juicer and cyber-knight among its numbers).
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

i think that the only crazy stunt one of my character's [Pat a Rogue Scintist/scholar/treasure hunter type] .. after much attacks and horrofic things. seeing people torn apart and still kept alive and then finally seeing a church style organ, made up from the bodies of about 15 people [wonderful things about flesh sculters if their insane huh?] .. my char lost the last of her thinking mind and being half native [yes, all the signs were there that she was loosing it and no one picked up on it] she decided to charge a group of Hounds. :shock:

their armour was black like the CS that wiped out her hometown .. so ... *shrugs* ... with a warcry on thelips and a vibro blade in hand .. she charged and jumped on the back of one and started to stab it. never killed it, but she really wanted to. wasn't aware she went thru to the other side either. but one member that went thru willingly [yes he and a couple others that followed him have issues to work out now with dopplegangers] and hauled her off the hound and finished it off .. i don't think Pat was ever fully right after that, BUT she did have her mind healed from the numerous tears and shattering it suffered. :-?

funniest part ... that hound and his 4 companions FLINCHED at her doing that ... :lol:

end result, she left the group she was with and went off on her own. she has a shadow warlock for a bodyguard now, and has discovered a buried city. landed in the museum ... talk about a boost to the pocketbook :-o

don't believe me? .. ask my GM .. Dhakael .. he still chuckles about that one. he gave them a chance to save against the possible HF .. and they failed ...
:eek:
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Does facing down Mephisto in single combat count?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

King Heart wrote:does that one put an end to the SF versus BM debate?

I don't think so, like most GM the one running the game gave the players the benifit of the doubt and only played major NPCs to the upmost of their abilities. It was still cool though.
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

[/quote]

I wasn't playing, but watching a group on this one.

Similar to your story only with a Battle Magi. Doing re-guard on a banch of refugees, and got separated.

He came under attack by a pair of old style SAMAS. He used Deflect and Magic Net to bring one to the ground, were he proceeded to take it out up close with the Fist of Fury spell. Since the second SAMAS could not fire on him for fear of striking his wingman, it to dropped to the ground and attempted to aid his friend by teaming up on the BM in close quarters. The BM not only was victorious, but also still had over 30 M.D.C. on his armor left (went threw an Armor of Ithan spell with 60 M.D.C. and 15 M.D.C. on his armor). I was rather impressed, along with the rest of the group (which counted a juicer and cyber-knight among its numbers).[/quote]

I'm glad to hear at least a few PCs survived their death defying stunts!
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

shiiv-a wrote:i think that the only crazy stunt one of my character's [Pat a Rogue Scintist/scholar/treasure hunter type] .. after much attacks and horrofic things. seeing people torn apart and still kept alive and then finally seeing a church style organ, made up from the bodies of about 15 people [wonderful things about flesh sculters if their insane huh?] .. my char lost the last of her thinking mind and being half native [yes, all the signs were there that she was loosing it and no one picked up on it] she decided to charge a group of Hounds. :shock:

their armour was black like the CS that wiped out her hometown .. so ... *shrugs* ... with a warcry on thelips and a vibro blade in hand .. she charged and jumped on the back of one and started to stab it. never killed it, but she really wanted to. wasn't aware she went thru to the other side either. but one member that went thru willingly [yes he and a couple others that followed him have issues to work out now with dopplegangers] and hauled her off the hound and finished it off .. i don't think Pat was ever fully right after that, BUT she did have her mind healed from the numerous tears and shattering it suffered. :-?

funniest part ... that hound and his 4 companions FLINCHED at her doing that ... :lol:

end result, she left the group she was with and went off on her own. she has a shadow warlock for a bodyguard now, and has discovered a buried city. landed in the museum ... talk about a boost to the pocketbook :-o

don't believe me? .. ask my GM .. Dhakael .. he still chuckles about that one. he gave them a chance to save against the possible HF .. and they failed ...
:eek:

I still can't believe it..the highest roll any of the Hounds got was a 3..a 3!!!
all they needed to do was roll an 8.
The dice gods were having fun at my expense :-? :D
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Library Ogre

The Last Day of Harakhamis Arimi Acherean

We awoke at dawn of the last day. Something about that dawn seem crisper and purer than any dawn I'd ever seen before, and I knew that the day would be momentous beyond imagining.

We knew where the tomb was, roughly, so Nightfall and I flew in slow passes over the plateau, seeking out a magical signature that would tell us where He lay. Once we had him, we could go home. On the sixth pass, Nightfall motioned me down. He'd found the tomb. A rough hole cut into the wall, bearing a faded inscription. It was beyond my ken, until I flipped down the optics on my helmet, translating them from arcane script to my native Egyptian. "Let only he who is true enter here, for he who knows maliciousness shall surely fall." I knew maliciousness, that was before the Village of the Damned... not anymore.

We retrieved the others in quick order. Only Maelstrom, Nightfall, and I felt up to the task of going in... too many stains on the others' souls from this campaign, I suppose. A quarter mile in, we came to an archway. Nightfall read the Gaelic inscribed, and we found the trap... one set for he who entered with an impure heart. I stepped through, even though I knew my heart wasn't pure. I had to. My family, my clan, my people... my homeland... depended on us waking the man who lay in that sarcophagus. I passed through with nary a scratch... I wish I'd had time to wonder why.

We lifted the lid from the sarcophagus, and gently lifted out Arthur Pendragon, greatest warrior of Old Atlantis. He awoke, slowly, shaking off the dreams of twelve thousand years, looking at us quizzically. The others, Bagh-Dach, stood in awe. I kept my head, as Acheran do, and stepped forward with a bow.

"Arthur Pendragon, I am Harakhamis Arimi Acheran. May I present to you Nightfall and Maelstrom, of the Bagh-Dach clan?"

He seemed more at ease with his own clanmates there, and questioned me about the date. "It has been twelve thousand years since you last breathed, Arthur. There is much to do, and we will explain later."

He hesitated, wanting his sword, his armor. Why is it that warriors always want a sword? The Bagh-dach found it concealed in the room, and he seemed much relieved to have it on his hip, clanging against his armor. As we walked up, we spoke briefly of the situation with Atlantis, telling him of the loss of Atlantis and the ongoing campaign to reclaim it. He was not comforted by our news, but I did not expect him to be.

When we stepped onto the ledge overlooking the valley, the scent of evil was palatable in the air, even to those of us with normal senses... the presence, though, was enough to send Nightfall reeling for a brief moment. Before us, in the quiet air, hung a man, long hair and wild eyes. Some part deep within me, some stain I had long tried to purge, knew this man to not be a man... he was a god, one of evil and deceit. I shoved to Gecko all but a tiny portion of my power, whispering into the radio that they should leave, now, through a portal I knew Zoderhan could make. In that instant, the man spoke, his voice like a roll of thunder across the plains.

"Harakhamis! You owe me a debt, the debt of a life! You will slay him, Harakhamis, to pay your debt to me!"
I didn't even need to look to know that he pointed to Arthur. Time slowed to a crawl, and I knew that all debts must be paid. Quick as thought, I flew along the wall to stand in the empty air across from him.

"You know I can't do that, Mephisto." Please, gods, let them have the time. Let them have the time. A crackle in my senses told me the Rift was opened... they could go home. Maelstrom spoke to me in the radio, asking me if I was sure. I had no choice... I had to pay my debts. I sent them through the portal with my blessing, until only Zoderhan remained.

"Then you know the cost."
Mephisto's words contained more hate than I had ever known, and his negligent gesture summoned nearly a score of deevils to stand before him. In the corner of my eye, Zoderhan blinked out of sight. For an instant, I thought he was gone through the portal, and wished him well. I felt his parting gift materialize around and inside me... armor of pure energy, and a bubbling, magical strength. I knew the cost.

With both hands, I raised my sword. A thought sent the energy of life running down its blade, and it glowed green in the light of an early morning. As I raised the blade higher, over my head, the sun crested the cliffs, bathing me in its light. The exultant energy was too much for me, and a word rang out of my throat. "HORUS!" I charged into melee, a mortal against a god, and knew that I would never die.

And then I knew no more.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Gracias. I've got a few of those, where I take events from campaigns and write them up like that... in fact Harakhamis was one of my more scribbled about characters, as I also talked about him accepting a witch pact, and then returning it, a few years later.

All Palladium Articles
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

a person i no longer choose to game with in the online games ... was not allowed to have a phase sword at first level.

gm allowed said character at first level [basically 3 games into the campaigne] to CON a godling out of a rune weapon instead. then they continued to rule the roost.

yup .. great game balance. lead the godling on with sweet nothings and pillow talk .. then do the basic throw the dude into an ice cold shower and make your demand for a 'magic weapon cause i know you have soooooo many that are just lying about and not being used' *batting the eyelashes*

crazy? .. not really ... that's typical of the 'god complexed one'
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
JTwig
Adventurer

Unread post by JTwig »

K20A2_S wrote:
JTwig wrote:Similar to your story only with a Battle Magi. Doing re-guard on a banch of refugees, and got separated.

He came under attack by a pair of old style SAMAS. He used Deflect and Magic Net to bring one to the ground

Samas got within 60 ft to cast Magic Net? he deserved to die....

When piloting a PA against mages/supernatural......distance is the key with strategic strikes and team maneuvers.....something both samas lacked....

It was a low altitude strafing run, and the Battle Magnus took them by surprise. Like I said earlier, most GMs play non-named NPC at less than full capabilities. Of course I've always wondered why when you read fiction with SAMAS in it, the SAMAS are always flying at tree top level. The older style can reach altitudes of up to 6000', and their rail gun has a range of 4000' feet. You would think that they would keep at least 1000' - 2000' off the ground when scouting, or assaulting a infantry targets.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

JTwig wrote:
K20A2_S wrote:
JTwig wrote:Similar to your story only with a Battle Magi. Doing re-guard on a banch of refugees, and got separated.

He came under attack by a pair of old style SAMAS. He used Deflect and Magic Net to bring one to the ground

Samas got within 60 ft to cast Magic Net? he deserved to die....

When piloting a PA against mages/supernatural......distance is the key with strategic strikes and team maneuvers.....something both samas lacked....

It was a low altitude strafing run, and the Battle Magnus took them by surprise. Like I said earlier, most GMs play non-named NPC at less than full capabilities. Of course I've always wondered why when you read fiction with SAMAS in it, the SAMAS are always flying at tree top level. The older style can reach altitudes of up to 6000', and their rail gun has a range of 4000' feet. You would think that they would keep at least 1000' - 2000' off the ground when scouting, or assaulting a infantry targets.

Mook / Stormtrooper syndrome; even when the un-named NPC's have superior tactical gear and (supposedly) training, they will ALWAYS close to within literal spitting distance, ergo allowing the players to beat on them with impunity. :D

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Craziest thing a PC I've run has ever done?
Simple; strapped a home-built thermonuclear fusion power-pack to his back, used to enrgize the caps on his scratch built railgun, Boomer, and had an old esspresso maker as the heat exchanger.

Durring field testing, a Rift opend up and one of the TRUE horsemen of the appocolypse was getting ready to exit...just as the primary heat excahnger ran out of foam :D
The Doc un-hooked his power pack, tossed it behind him and dove over the barrier that overlooked a canyon (or was it Niagra falls?) *shrug*
Fortunatly there was a ledge underthe barrier (about 15ft. down).
The powerpack went critical...
The Horseman was knocked back and stunned, a crater was made, the rift closed..and the Doc was alive and somewhat stunned at the level of destructive power his home-built generator contained.
He promptly started work on the Mk-2 the next day ;)

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Akira Von Mainframe wrote:
DhAkael wrote:Craziest thing a PC I've run has ever done?
Simple; strapped a home-built thermonuclear fusion power-pack to his back, used to enrgize the caps on his scratch built railgun, Boomer, and had an old esspresso maker as the heat exchanger.

Durring field testing, a Rift opend up and one of the TRUE horsemen of the appocolypse was getting ready to exit...just as the primary heat excahnger ran out of foam :D
The Doc un-hooked his power pack, tossed it behind him and dove over the barrier that overlooked a canyon (or was it Niagra falls?) *shrug*
Fortunatly there was a ledge underthe barrier (about 15ft. down).
The powerpack went critical...
The Horseman was knocked back and stunned, a crater was made, the rift closed..and the Doc was alive and somewhat stunned at the level of destructive power his home-built generator contained.
He promptly started work on the Mk-2 the next day ;)

:eek: :shock:

Indeed

Leaves of the lotus rise

shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

In a rifts game recently, my char, a severely unbalanced type, trying to save the group, plays 'look at me .. i'm a mouse' .. with a raised from the dead, newly summoned dragon who's hungry.

after getting clipped, she gets to the feet to see a ball of black energy in the dragon's claws .. and its aimed at the Vehicle the others are in .. just as it flies off, the dashes in front of it ... and gets nailed for 300 MD worth of damage.

don't think she'll be doing that anytime soon. at least not with an Ancient Wyrm .. with only 5K worth of MD ...
Last edited by shiiv-a on Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

shiiv-a wrote:In a rifts game recently, my char, a severely unbalanced type, trying to save the group, plays 'look at me .. i'm a mouse' .. with a raised from the dead, newly summoned dragon who's hungry.

after getting clipped, she gets to the feet to see a ball of black energy in the dragon's claws .. and its aimed at the Vehicle the others are in .. just as it flies off, the dashes in front of it ... and gets nailed for 300 MD worth of damage.

don't think she'll be doing that anytime soon. at least not with an Ancient Wyrm .. with only 5K worth of MD ...

Rule # 4529, section 3 paragraph 5, subsection D; When confronted with a Great Wyrm, do NOT stand your ground. RUN! RUN NOW! Oh gods run, run run and srun some more, what are you doing still standing there?!

Leaves of the lotus rise

shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

oh ... so act more like Captain Sparrow then?

"he who fights and runs away .. lives to run away again another day ... " ... got it.

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

EPIC wrote:the characters were driving across a field in a refitted jeep like vehicle with an adult dragon chasing them down.

the crazy who was driving at the time (lord help us all) decided to put on the right turn signal. you know to obey local trafic laws and all, not that we were even on a raod!

then he turned rather sharpely to the left at the last second.

But... did the dragon get faked out and go to the right? :lol:
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by AdmTolval »

I was running a Coalition Navy campaign a few years ago. The two players were operating a Black Eel Torp. Boat. They had stopped in the middle of the Mississippi River and got attacked by a water serpent from the Coalition Navy Sourcebook. The Nautical Commando got caught up in the serpent's coils and decided the easiest and fastest way to get free was to fire a burst of grenades from his Firebreather at the body of the serpent, which was 3 feet away. He woke up at the nearest Coalition hospital a couple of days later with a new leg.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I took a bullet for another character. Of course they had to raise me from the dead.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Raymann
D-Bee

Unread post by Raymann »

I think the best heroic insane character i ever played with was my buddies Crazy Named Incognito, One time we were helping a bunch of cyber-Knights out but patroling a area that alot of people had been getting abducted from and low and behold we find a Dragon well since we were driving my Character a Well known and prasied Juicer fighting aganst the evil coalistion(but really i was a spy for them :P ) and the Battle mage and The Crazy Jumped out of the truck we were driving mean while our other friend kane a mercinary stayed inside and decided he would slay the beast by driving into it, well after the truck hit the dragon the dragon simply threw the truck away. mean while we were all scrambling for cover except for Ryan who was throwing his box waffles at the dragon while scrambing for cover, i stared shooting for the eyes with my ja-12 and the Battle mage was casting something he though was usful and ryan got the bright idea to take my modifyed vibro sword and run twards the BM like a maniac and then stoping infront of him and said something like "You Magic me now or Cookies no more" so the BM cast armor of ithan to be helpful and then ryan was off again this time at the dragon screaming "Im a hamster!" we all though he was just beening a idiot or quoting a movie but then as the dragon went to bite him he jumped into its mouth!!? we though he had died instantly and i was pissed off becasue he took my favorit sword that was giving to me by my characters girlfriend and the parties operator,so i do the heroic revenge type thing going berserk and being furious that kind of crap, and the BM teleported 3 explosives onto the dragon and then was almost crushed by it ,next we see ryan giving peaes of paper to our gm and rolling again and again and the gm rolling agian and again finaly after about 3 or 4 rounds the dragon looks like its in pain but not from the outside ryan was inside using my sword to cut his way to the dragons heart and had stabed it but the acids in the dragon and the lack of air was killing him fast but the dragon ends up being killed form the inside but then all we hear on our radio is "can somone help me out of the Suitcase QUICK!" we see a point stick out and then we got the bright idea to shoot at it to open it quicker well sufice to say the dragon didnt do as much damage as i did i blew his left arm off but we pulled him out and got to look at the melting armor on him and my mangeled bloody sword we radioed for help from the CK's and the BM used something on him to heal him a bit while we waited he lived that day and for a long time after untill we ran into a naruni Repo bot and i fired every plasma rocket we had at it while he was 2 feet away and vaporised him. two weeks later a lawyer araive and delivered his will, he wished for us to make a grave for him in the form of a large severed foot with the words "Im not dead yet"writen on it (we were broke so we decided that scraping up the ashes and putting them in a jar in our fridge would sufice)
If It's Dangerous,Do It.If it's Suicidal,Do It NOW!
Sir_Nytehawk357
D-Bee

Never let a player Play a Predator (yes from the movies)

Unread post by Sir_Nytehawk357 »

I have a player that wanted to play a Predator, so I broke down and said yes. He worked out great with the motley crew of characters in the group. I was running adventures around a small town. Long story short, evil Coalition general shows up with a Fire Storm Mobile Fortress at his command, and they lay siege to the town. The general seems to think there is a Lone star style compound below the town. The group decides that the best way to deal with this is to kill the general, so the Predator and a mutant pixie-bob (cat) with teleport and is a mind melter, decide to scout out the mobile fortress, the Pixie-bob goes astral to scout out the inside of the fortress. He does this for a while, then goes back to his body and tells the predator he can port in. With a killer roll of double 00 on the percentile, and an even better roll on the fail port table, the cat and Predator are ported into a wall (which should be death for both, but not wanting to lose the two characters at once, I give the predator a chance to survive. So he was thrown from the wall and into a closet). The predator is out cold for a while. Me, not wanting to lose the cat as well, drops the cats mind into another body in another dimension for a while, but he makes his way back to earth with the help from some strange sage like character. The cat gets back to the group. The group almost kills him because he looks completely different, the cat is able to convince the group it's him and that the predator needs help. The cat risks porting the rest of the group into the fortress one at a time and has great rolls this time, no missed ports. While this was going on the Predator wakes up and starts going on a killing spree, including ripping the head off of a full conversion cyborg, then skinning him as much as possible, the group and the predator meet back up and start a fight to the command center of the fortress and make it by the skin of their teeth. The group is torn up pretty bad, but they keep going. They make it to the command center where they find not only the General, but a long time group nemesis. A fight breaks out. As they're fighting, the group formulates a plan, the predator removes his arm Nuke and sets it for 30 seconds, the cat starts porting people out one at a time. Well it works. Everyone makes it out, with two characters in coma's, one missing an arm and foot. and the Mobile fortress goes boom. Unbeknownst to the group, all of the characters now have bounties on their heads put out by the coalition.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Ok...

I was playing a CRAZY. This was back in 1998 mind you.
GM Started with me because I had a character done, and the rest of the group were still making characters.

I was alone, with just normal clothing. Armed only with a magic dagger.

I was alone in the Woods/forrest. I had a Squad of CS after me for defending a village of D-Bees. I was hiding in the forrest luring them away from the village. I threw the dagger into a tree to get their attention. From hidding I told them to leave the village alone and to leave me alone. Well they didn't. As they walked towards my voice I snuck around them and took back my dagger from the tree. One of them heard me take the dagger out of the tree. He missed me, I ran and hide again fast.
Well From there, I started to "Hunt" them. Taking them out one by one like John Rambo did the police in First Blood. Well it ended with me vs a CS Juicer of all things. I somehow kept rolling very well. I defeated the CS-Juicers in 2 Rounds (30 seconds game time).

The GM and looked over to the others in the group and all of them had their jaws dropped in amazement. We saw all the rolls they were not hidden at all. I was very lucky on many called shots and several crits in a roll

When I had my character walk away from the fight (no damage) and without salvaging the CS equipment the group thought I was nuts.
I turned to them and said..."I just took out 3 CS Grunts, 2 Dogboys, 1 CS Special Forces Officer, and 1 CS Juicer...Normal SDC clothing, just with a Freaking dagger..."

The GM let their characters come across the CS Squad on their way to the Village. They rolled played it very well when in-character they found out what my character did. They wanted to Hire me...

:D
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Sir_Nytehawk357
D-Bee

Re: Stupid yet brave stunts your chr. has done.

Unread post by Sir_Nytehawk357 »

This is from back in the day of The first after the bomb. I don't even remember what I was playing. I just remember we rolled up on a road block/ toll road being manned buy heavily armed bandits. They simple asked for a Clip of ammo a gallon of gas or something reasonable from each player. (Buy the way I as a player was young no older than 13 most likely younger.) In are last outing I had come across a bandolier of grenades. Every one else in the group gave up a clip of ammo. Me with out thinking take's one of my many grenades and toss's it pin not pulled at one of the bandits. Need less to say I was a bullet riddled Character before the grenade hit the ground. Half the gaming group was slack jawed at what the GM had done, some laughing there heads off. I being young and immature was seeing red beyond reason. Not understanding why I was just turned to Swiss cheese. After everyone calmed down the GM looked at me and gave me a chance to rethink my action.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

My super Vagabond the legendary Simon Greene charged a half a dozen goblin spiders screaming "You guys run I got this". He procceded to unless some sonic speed ex-ps whoop@$$ then the whole acid blood thing became apparent. Needless to say I most definately did not "GOT THIS"
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Re:

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Greyaxe wrote: We use our flashlight to travel down dark corridors as the power is out....... The GM tells me there is a power conduit running beside the sealed door. ...... Finally the conduit breaks open and I attack the creature with the wires inside. There is no power.

can't stop laughing
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

In a firefight in a subway, trying to protect a rescued hostage (some rich guy's 9 year old daughter, of course). MD weaopns are playing hell with the underground structure, dropping fragments and randomly misting bystanders. I get a grenade in and collapse part of the ceiling, giving us time to move. The train is leaving in a hurry so i grab the girl and sprint toward it. The gm wants a roll so he makes me do % based off acrobatic's backflip, but at -30. I voluntarily take another -10 if i can keep the girl from getting hurt, roll a 02%. Basically jump and tumble right through the doors as they close.

As the train is leaving the bad guys get around the rubble and open fire, hitting the train (it's a bullet, 50ft out from the station it zips up to 150mph apparently...), knocking it off track and sending it corkscrewing through the tunnel as parts of it break off and snap agaisnt the walls. So this thing is getting accordioned , people are getting cut in two by the twisting metal and splattered by the sudden drop in speed. I ask my GM if i'm dead, because it's clearly up to him to decide at this point. He thinks about it, asks me to make another acrobatics roll, basically treating it as if i can impossibly maneuver around to avoid the sharp edges and hardened surfaces WHILE THE TRAIN IS MOVING AND TUMBLING...then i can live. He says it's -50%. I ask if i can take another -10 penalty to save the girl, he says -20% and i'll still take some damage.

So i roll 01% this time, get knocked down to about 10% health, but the little girl is just dandy and wants to get back on that roller coaster.

:bandit:
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Alrik Vas wrote:In a firefight in a subway, trying to protect a rescued hostage (some rich guy's 9 year old daughter, of course). MD weaopns are playing hell with the underground structure, dropping fragments and randomly misting bystanders. I get a grenade in and collapse part of the ceiling, giving us time to move. The train is leaving in a hurry so i grab the girl and sprint toward it. The gm wants a roll so he makes me do % based off acrobatic's backflip, but at -30. I voluntarily take another -10 if i can keep the girl from getting hurt, roll a 02%. Basically jump and tumble right through the doors as they close.

As the train is leaving the bad guys get around the rubble and open fire, hitting the train (it's a bullet, 50ft out from the station it zips up to 150mph apparently...), knocking it off track and sending it corkscrewing through the tunnel as parts of it break off and snap agaisnt the walls. So this thing is getting accordioned , people are getting cut in two by the twisting metal and splattered by the sudden drop in speed. I ask my GM if i'm dead, because it's clearly up to him to decide at this point. He thinks about it, asks me to make another acrobatics roll, basically treating it as if i can impossibly maneuver around to avoid the sharp edges and hardened surfaces WHILE THE TRAIN IS MOVING AND TUMBLING...then i can live. He says it's -50%. I ask if i can take another -10 penalty to save the girl, he says -20% and i'll still take some damage.

So i roll 01% this time, get knocked down to about 10% health, but the little girl is just dandy and wants to get back on that roller coaster.

:bandit:

THAT my friends is how you play a hero. :ok: :ok:
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Anarchist character with a bad case of knee-jerk chivalry.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Mid-high level group going after a McGuffin (meaning I can't remember now what it was). We find it, only to be confronted by Deathmist of the FoM. We realize that McGuffin can't be allowed to remain usable by Deathmist.

So as Deathmist rolls out on his TW skimmer, with his posse.... my (imported from a SF book series) 7 ft alien Assassin aims her BFG (later revealed to have ammo modified by the crazy Rune Dwarf) at the skimmer. I ask if I have time to get 1 shot off at the engines - GM: Yes. -3 to hit.

I get a Nat 20, roll 2d4x10.... *boom*

GM got this really funny look on his face, engages in frantic rolling behind the screen and pronounces: Ya'll are now on Deathmist's AND Dunscon's s* list - you just killed him, which means he's banished from Earth for a while... Watch your backs.

I love playing this rifts-transported character.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Myrrhibis wrote:Mid-high level group going after a McGuffin (meaning I can't remember now what it was). We find it, only to be confronted by Deathmist of the FoM. We realize that McGuffin can't be allowed to remain usable by Deathmist.

So as Deathmist rolls out on his TW skimmer, with his posse.... my (imported from a SF book series) 7 ft alien Assassin aims her BFG (later revealed to have ammo modified by the crazy Rune Dwarf) at the skimmer. I ask if I have time to get 1 shot off at the engines - GM: Yes. -3 to hit.

GM got this really funny look on his face, engages in frantic rolling behind the screen and pronounces: Ya'll are now on Deathmist's AND Dunscon's s* list - you just killed him, which means he's banished from Earth for a while... Watch your backs.

Just curious as to how you could get on those lists, if the one's banished and the other wasn't even at the fight to know what happened right?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
T-Willard
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: A soldier is more than his equipment.

Unread post by T-Willard »

My juicer jumped onto a SAMAS suit and started stabbing the guy in the face yelling "YOU'RE MINE NOW!"

Yeah, when I got through the face shield and stabbed out his head, we were about 1,500 feet up.

Oops.
"The Tolkeen War was a disaster. Yes, we achieved victory, but we exposed grievous errors in our training doctrine and unit METL's. We must seek to address these issues, we must rethink what we know or this nation will perish from the Earth. Should we not learn from the hard lessons of the Tolkeen War, our bones shall be ground to dust."-Ross Underhill
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Nightmask wrote:
Myrrhibis wrote:Mid-high level group going after a McGuffin (meaning I can't remember now what it was). We find it, only to be confronted by Deathmist of the FoM. We realize that McGuffin can't be allowed to remain usable by Deathmist.

Just curious as to how you could get on those lists, if the one's banished and the other wasn't even at the fight to know what happened right?

Well, Deathmist knows who offed him, so once he's gotten reborn, he'll be hunting.
As for Dunscon, I'd imagine that he's got some way to find out. After all, Deathmist is his right-hand man & one of the few he trusts relatively well.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Alrik Vas
Knight

T-Willard wrote:My juicer jumped onto a SAMAS suit and started stabbing the guy in the face yelling "YOU'RE MINE NOW!"

Yeah, when I got through the face shield and stabbed out his head, we were about 1,500 feet up.

Oops.

It's okay. I feel ya. :hug:

Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

My very first RIFTS character back in 1990 was a Fire Dragon Hatchling who ended up getting seperated from the rest of his friends (including his best friend, a Burster named Mr. Zippo) in a cavern complex. As I wandered through, I came out in a huge cavern with a vast amount of treasure in it. My character was like Scrooge McDuck for about a minute, diving into a pile of gold until he caught wind of something....that something turned out to be the ADULT Great Horned Dragon whose treasure this was, and needless to say he was not happy. After a few rounds of playing keep away (me keeping away from him), I started picking up things and using Object Read to see if it was useful (as in powerful). I went through a few items and took a few hits before he got a good hit in on me and knocked me to the other side of the room. As luck would have it though, he knocked me into a pile of weapons, and I had enough time to do Object Read on one of the swords and all the GM said was that I got a feeling of great power, so I threw it at the dragon (rolling a Nat 20 to hit, while the GH Dragon failed his dodge roll) and it impaled him in the chest. After a couple of rolls on a random magic item chart we had, he determined that it was a Rune Sword with Soul Drinking. The GH Dragon failed his saving throw and was killed by it. As he died, he laughed and said that my victory would be fruitless....and then he died....a few seconds later, all of his treasure faded away. *sigh*
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'
Greyaxe
Champion

Re: Re:

Unread post by Greyaxe »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Greyaxe wrote: We use our flashlight to travel down dark corridors as the power is out....... The GM tells me there is a power conduit running beside the sealed door. ...... Finally the conduit breaks open and I attack the creature with the wires inside. There is no power.

can't stop laughing

Thanks, that was the reaction of the party as well. Good times.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Okay...so, this is a little involed so I hope you'll bare with me.

The party

Graves, lvl 8 human special forces merc (FF and naruni stealth armor)
Megan, lvl 7 human sniper/corpsman (Minor psionic, anti-material rifle)
Sally, lvl 4 human merc: EOD (lots of ordinance and SMG with DU rounds)
Starks, lvl 5 random purple skinned d-bee Wilderness Scout (JA-11)
Tom, lvl 6 human merc: pilot (generally useless)
Rick, lvl 7 human Juicer (JA-12, juicer plate, FIWS)

The job is OPERATION DEAD LIFT. They're going to air-evac a town being assaulted by the CS. The inital plan is to have one of the VTOL troop transports disgorge troops behind the CS line to harry the skelebots and other infantry and draw them off with a diversion while the other squads support the evac directly.

I make some rolls. The diversionary craft fails, not only fails but crashes. All hands lost. However, because of radar/radio ECM the CS are using, no one is certain of this.

Stupid but Brave #1: Tom, the copilot of the VTOL transport (basically an Osprey) convinces the pilot, crew chief and squad leader of the mercs that everything is fine and they should continue with the operation.

Stupid but Brave #2: Graves, Megan and Sally, when it's learned the other transport crashed and they will get no support, are dispatched to deal with the advancing armor platoon to the south and set up Sally's anti-vehicle mines. They find wounded stragglers (old man and teenage girl) which Megan stays behind to take care of. Graves and Sally go ahead and try to set the mines...while being shot at by a freaking tank an skelebots. They manage to set up 3 of the 4 mines successfully and nearly get their tails shot off. All this diversion to give Megan time to get the stragglers to safety so she can patch up the old man.

Stupid but Brave #3: They hump it back to the line, the tank takes the bait. Most of the civilians have been put on larger VTOL transports. However, there is a line of skelebots zeroing in on them. Not to mention the Terror Trooper and his missile rifle, just waiting for an air craft top pop up. Rick the juicer decides "he's got this", runs and leaps over the skelebots with a heavy fusion block and comes barrelling at the Terror Trooper, which promply grabs him, throws him on the ground and crushes his skull with it's foot (go-go RPA pilot 2 natural 20's in a row). The skelebots make short work of any twichy flesh he might have had left.

Stupid but Brave #4: Graves decides they can't get to the blocks, no one else had Rick's kind of speed. So, he gets one of the NPC's (a guy in knock off dead-boy armed with a wiggle (WIGL) to get on the town wall and distract the terror trooper while he sets up a shot to tag it with an AP rocket. The wiggle works, the trooper turns and exposes it's back to Graves, but he doesn't get to fire before poor redshirt get's exploded by a missile. The AP rocket hits, Graves crits like whoa and the trooper falls over, disabled.

Stupid but Brave #5: The trooper is down, Tom is like "Let's get out!" They all climb aboard and take off, drawing fire from the skelebots so the civi's don't take the heat as their transports move out. So...you know...the Mk V APC and the UAR-1 fielded much further back open up with their missile launchers. Naturally, Tom's relying on the primary pilot, who pops flares, tries to scramble some and dodge the rest. Even more naturally, the craft is tagged by a great deal of medium range missles. Fortunately for our heroes, the missiles don't do enough damage to kill them as well, just the transport, and they crash into...

THE DEMON-INFESTED FOREST

Which brings us to, Stupid but Brave #6: Everyone is banged up, supernatural wolf like aberrations are closing in for an easy meal. They could have just run, but Graves finds Tom still alive, just completely screwed (-1 HP, comatose). So he drags him out (nearly killing him for real) and Megan sicks an IRMISS on him...oh wait, now they really can't move him, oh wait...here come the wolves.

Fortunately, i rolled really bad for their resist when Sally chucks a flash bang at them and Stark's shooting is great. They decide the meal isn't so easy after all.

Stupid but Brave #7: This comes much later, Tom is healed up enough to move (they give him some salvaged armor) but they're getting lost in the mists of the this cursed forest. So they decide to tie themselves together with a rope to keep their course straight. Unfortunately, when a pair of brodkil ambush them (lol!) the close one grabs the guy in the middle (Tom) and picks up EVERYONE when he lifts him up in the air, then slams them all down (turning Tom into a human lawn dart. The guy can't get a break). Graves hates brodkil (they destroyed his hometown) so he flips out and tries to knife one to death, it throws him, Sally and Megan (who are still tied together) at a tree. Starks has freed himself and cuts loose with his JA-12, attracting the attention of the other Brodkil and his giant sized 2h vibro butcher sword. A well-placed critical hit is the end of him.

Tho he did give them time to regroup and win the fight. :D

Stupid but Brave #8: They deal with the brodkil and get chased by wolves again, Tom falls off a ridge while fleeing and Graves follows him into the mist, only to come face to maw with a T-Rex. Tom is taking cover, so Graves decides its up to him to save the day, so he shoots it in the leg. Unfortunately, Sally had the same idea and it got more pissed at her. T-Rex charges the ridge and bites her, ripping through her armor and flings her against a tree. Graves gives chase (Tom is sitting this one out, failed his HF roll, so did Megan). So he shoots it but it's still finishing it's meal. Now...this was a moment...where Graves could have run. Yeah, it was eating his comrade, but she was already dead honestly. Even so...it would have kept chomping and he and the others could have just escaped...but no. Graves gets pissed and decides to fight a T-Rex one on one...

Sadly, he wins...but hey, i can't kill'm all off so easy. :P

Stupid but Brave #9: Much later, the CS finds the group. Tom gets overtaken pretty fast and captured. Megan and Graves book it and dodge a shot or two from a Striker SAMAS that is giving chase. They split, but instead of saving himself...yet again, Graves decides to be the defending martyr and tries to get the SAMAS to follow him instead of just using his Naruni stealth armor to hide and escape. So he takes a burst in the leg, the chest and the head, then another in the chest and he's down (but still alive) and taken prisoner.

Kids these days, trying to be all heroic and saying "I got this" or what have you. I swear.

Return to “Rifts®”