Psi-slingers damage

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Psi-slingers damage

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Shadow wrote:Their pyschic weapon's damage reads that they do 1d6MD with the expenditure of 10 ISP. Doe sthat mean that they will only ever be able to do 1d6 damage or does hat mean if they spend 30 ISP they get 3d6 damage?

only ever do 1d6 per shot.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Blue Eyes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Blue Eyes »

hey :)

since the psi-slinger has a very limited ISP base when compared to other psychics (ME times two + 10 pr level of experience) i believe that the damage is 1d6MD pr 10 isp spend, so spending 20 isp would modify the rounds to do 2d6MD damage pr shot. the gun charged like this can have a maximum payload of 15 rounds. to avoid munchkinism i have hourseruled that the max damage a psi-slinger can achieve when charging his weapons is 1d6MD pr level of expeirence, but i leave that up to you.

c ya
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Bloodspray wrote:
This turns conventional ammunition into mega-damage rounds that inflict 1D6 M.D. each with the expenditure of 10 I.S.P.; the projectiles are
surrounded by an aura of energy. Limitations: Affects all rounds in the weapon, up to 15 total; there are typically six rounds in a revolver, 8-15 in an automatic pistol, and 30 to 60 in the clip of a sub-machinegun or automatic rifle. Likewise, as many as three arrows can be charged and fired to do M.D.

This is excerpted from the book.

It says that 10 ISP will charge all the rounds in a gun, and cause them to do 1D6. Yet, it also says "with each expenditure of 10 ISP".

No it doesn't. Reread your quote. It says "This turns conventional ammunition into mega-damage rounds that inflict 1D6 M.D. each with the expenditure of 10 I.S.P." You moved the each and it totally changed the meaning.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Blue Eyes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Blue Eyes »

hello

i just reread the psi-slinger class just to make sure.

first of all, the description says that psi-slingers are fundamentally gunslingers, only they are generally considered BETTER. if they were limited to doing 1d6MD damage pr round only, then their "superior" abilities with their linked guns could never be considered better than any common energy pistol.

second, it is true that the canon text says that the rounds inflict 1d6 MD each with the expenditure of 10ISP, but it says nothing about that you cannot spend 20 to do 2d6 MD or 30 to inflict 3d6 MD, and frankly i believe that is implied when you look at the ridiculous low isp base they start with. psi-slingers have been limited to less isp because they can use their isp to charge their weapons, i believe this is intentional and a way to insure that they cannot do serious damage until they increase in levels. so the class has a build-in "anti-munchkin feature".

i agree with Shadows deduction on this one

c ya
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

Don't forget you can fire burst with pistols-it just takes one more action than the equivalent machine gun. So 1d6 MD at a half clip burst puts well up there with every gunfighter in the new west.
My big question is what happens when you go to an SDC world. How does the psychic enhancement work then?
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

On SDC worlds i would increase teh damage by d6 if enhanced. Therefore a .44 magnum revolver will be doing 6d6 sdc.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

hippie_mama wrote:My compromised house rule: 10 ISP and 1D6MD Per Level of Experience

Does that mean that at second level I can spend 20 ISP and do 2D6 MD, or that at 2nd level I'll spend 10 ISP and get 2D6?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

Now I don't have my books with me, but the 10 I.S.P. charges every bullet in the clip right, all you got to do is get the NG machine gun the does 2d6x10S.D.C. per burst shot, which I belive will convert to a 2D6x10M.D. weapon for 10 I.S.P. :D

-Cheap
-Easy to maintain
-And one serious whoopass weapon
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

Don't have the book with me but i'm pretty sure there is a 15 bullet cap.
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

How about a simple 1D6, with an additional +1 per level, for the same 10 ISP? Keeps the cost reasonable, while allowing scaling.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

It charges up to 15 bullets. If I was going with hippie_mama's tuling, I would not adjust the bullet max per level. So no matter what level you are, 15 bullets would be the max. And I agree with her that the damage should be 1d6 MD for every 10 ISP per level, since many psionic abilities are like this.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”