F-14 Retired

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Retired in 2006... yet still in use in 2098.

And the Coalition uses them in the 24th century.

So don't cry, Juicer-Mak. I have a feeling the Tomcat will be around for a long, long time... :bandit:
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

I wasn't able to read the story. The usatoday end was dead. But what are they replacing it with?
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

The 'Cats used in those eras were salvaged from museum units that had their lethal ordinance deactivated/rendered inoperative so the planes could be displayed safely. It doesn't take much to get them back to active status, which was one of the main strengths of the Tomcat (& a blueprint for it's decendants).

The 'Cat will be around for a long time. You don't mess with what works. Each modern fighter can trace it's lineage back to the proving grounds that the 'Cat helped trail-blaze.
The 'Cat isn't obsolete, it's in retirement. And we all know that retirement is temporary. ;)
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

The F-14 is being repalced by the F/A-18E/F Super hornets - enhaced capability F/A-18s with more speed, payload and range than their predacesors. They will eventually be replaced by the F-35 JSF.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Jefffar wrote:The F-14 is being repalced by the F/A-18E/F Super hornets - enhaced capability F/A-18s with more speed, payload and range than their predacesors. They will eventually be replaced by the F-35 JSF.

I don't think the F-35 will entirely replace the F/A-18E/F/G's, as it isn't suited for the interceptor roll.

The F-35 will replace the F-16, A-10 (huh?), AV-8B, and F-18A/B/C/D.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Actually, the A-10 is scheduled to be replaced by the F-16 (even more huh?) - though this has been delayed to the point that the JSF will probablly succeed them both directly.

As for the JSF not having interceptor qualities - it depends on the model you choose. Not all the models have the V/STOL capability and thus have more room for fuel (extending range) and weapons.

Many would argue that the Hornet (even the super Hornet) doesn't realy have interceptor capabilities either.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Jefffar wrote:Actually, the A-10 is scheduled to be replaced by the F-16 (even more huh?) - though this has been delayed to the point that the JSF will probablly succeed them both directly.

I was under the impression that the Air Force already attempted to replace the A-10 with the F-16, and that the whole thing fell flat. This was back in the late 80's and early 90's IIRC.

Are they trying again?
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Jefffar wrote:Actually, the A-10 is scheduled to be replaced by the F-16 (even more huh?) - though this has been delayed to the point that the JSF will probablly succeed them both directly.

I was under the impression that the Air Force already attempted to replace the A-10 with the F-16, and that the whole thing fell flat. This was back in the late 80's and early 90's IIRC.

Are they trying again?

They never gave up. They almost get it agree to and then the A-10 prooves it's worth again.

They used to be trying for an F/A-16 project back in the 80's invloving a 3 or 4 barrelled 30 mm cannon - but this fell through for them.

As the F-16 is now hte primary tactical gorund attack aircraft in the USAF anyway, they are positiing that it will gradually take over the CAS role (which it already does in part) from the A-10 when the A-10 needs to be retired. However the Army basically forced an uprade that will more or less mena the A-10s will still be active until the JSFcomes on line (providing they don't wear out).

I think the Air Force is scared that if they bench the A-10, the Army will go to Congress and get permission to operate fixed wing combat aircraft (ie the A-10). The Air Force fears that if the Army regains the right to fixed wing combat aircraft, that the Air Force will disappear as a seperate service.

So the Air Force is basically trying to find a way to replace the A-10 without ticking off the Army - no luck yet.

jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Jefffar wrote:Many would argue that the Hornet (even the super Hornet) doesn't realy have interceptor capabilities either.

While the F-14 was designed to be an all out interceptor, only later was it modified to carry out attack/strike missions.

In today's age of multi-role the F/A-18E/F probably doesn't have the interceptor qualities capabilities the Tomcat has/had, but doesn’t need to be modified for the attack/strike role.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Yup, and the JSF will have all those qualities plus greater stealth and the possibility of V/STOL operations built in.

Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Jefffar wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Jefffar wrote:So the Air Force is basically trying to find a way to replace the A-10 without ticking off the Army - no luck yet.

Ironicaly the best way to replace the A-10 is to build an armored bathtub with wings, and a honkin big gattling gun.

Kind of like the A-10.
冠双

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”