Ummm.... self defense weapons.

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Unread post by Guest »

I should note that PDWs refer to a type of submachine gun, not non-lethal devices.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:I should note that PDWs refer to a type of submachine gun, not non-lethal devices.

That was my first thought too...

The Mondanock PR-24 is a great defensive weapon you can do all sorts of things with it, such as wrist locks arm bars, block/parry knifes, baseball bats, and you can even stun people by hitting certain pressure points.

Oleoresin Capsicum (aka Pepper spray) is a great way to subdue someone from a distance, you just have to worry about the spray getting on you if you end up wrestling around with an assailant.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

Pepper Spray backed up by a 45.
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Lucky wrote:fixed.

OC is no S***. I got hit with that stuff training on ship, and it took hours to stop burning. nothing helps, it just has to dry out.

and as soon as you get in the shower, it reactivates and runs down the body.

Did you have to beat the crap out of a dummy with a PR-24 doing specific strikes after getting sprayed?

The worse part is for days when you sweat; the sweat reactivates the OC in your hair and eyebrows then said swat runs into your eye(s).

Made the gas chamber the next day a total joke as half of us went in without gas masks.

I hear milk works since it's a base and the OC is an acid....
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

OC: One of my Snugglebuddies stopped carrying the stuff after she had to spray a man and it did not work. She beat the guy to the ground mind you..Still she was forced to get up close and personal. Now while she is only 5'3", she is both physically and mentally trained and prepared for a fight.

Clubs: not always legal in all area's. that Kobutan will be taken as a weapon by some cops.

Pen's: legal in all area's and works just like a Kobutan.

Coins: they are a great distraction and give you time to do something more effective.

Paperrback novels: Open your mind to how dangerous the written word really is.
GhostKnight
Adventurer

I've been through a CS chamber without a mask. No fun. I've also been downwind of spraying pepper. No fun. I've sprayed a dog that was trying to eat me. I never saw him again.

Always be prepared to fight for what is yours. Sheep are only good for the slaughter. Pepper, clubs, guns... they're just tools. Sometimes they fail, sometimes they don't. Much of that depends on the person.

Personally, I've never sprayed or shot anyone. I have dropped 3 people with a 6 D sized battery flashlight though. Leave it just inside my car door.
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
jedi078
Champion

Unread post by jedi078 »

Lucky wrote:The thing with OC is that it takes about 20 seconds to really kick in.

Well I was sprayed in the forehead during training, so it kicked in pretty quick....
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

jedi078 wrote:
Lucky wrote:The thing with OC is that it takes about 20 seconds to really kick in.

Well I was sprayed in the forehead during training, so it kicked in pretty quick....

It varies per person.
I've heard that some people are practically immune to the stuff, and others drop at a slight wiff.

I'm not recommending it for a number of obvious reasons (legality, etc), but I overheard a couple of truckers talking one time about what they keep in their cab just in case of trouble.
Instead of the standard Tire Buddy, one of the guys said that he kept a can of starter fluid, because it will mess somebody up faster and worse than pepperspray, and it's not an obvious weapon so you won't get hassled for carrying it in your truck.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

Wow. I've never carried a non-lethal defensive weapon. If I was in law enforcement, I would definitely go with the PR-24. I like the idea of brass knuckles. But they are way illegal in this state. You know what melee weapon you dont hear about any more. The black jack. There probably illegal here too. But I their pretty interesting weapons.

For those not familliar
Blackjacks
A blackjack (known in British English as a cosh) is a small, easily-concealed weapon consisting of a leather-wrapped lead weight attached to the end of a leather-wrapped coil-spring or rigid shaft, with a lanyard or strap on the end opposite the weight. Materials other than lead and leather are sometimes used to construct these weapons.
Blackjacks are popular due to their low profile and small size, and their potential to inflict enormous damage on human beings.

A blackjack is sometimes referred to as a sap, which is the name for a weapon of similar design (also called a slapper), which has a flat profile as opposed to a cylindrical one.

A second variation on the sap is a sandsock or sandclub, which as the name implies, is a weapon of flexible sheath construction filled with a heavy, fragmented weight. The sand of a sandsock may in fact be sand, but is more likely to be lead shot. The covering may be a pouch of leather or heavy cloth, such as denim or canvas. The sandsock is almost universally used as an improvised weapon.

Blackjacks can be used to inflict devastating damage on bones and tissues, and are considered in many jurisdictions to be deadly weapons. Blackjacks are also illegal in many jurisdictions. Traditionally used by police officers, they have been replaced to a large extent by telescopic and side-handle batons.

Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

CS Jarhead wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
jedi078 wrote:

It varies per person.
I've heard that some people are practically immune to the stuff, and others drop at a slight wiff.

I'm not recommending it for a number of obvious reasons (legality, etc), but I overheard a couple of truckers talking one time about what they keep in their cab just in case of trouble.
Instead of the standard Tire Buddy, one of the guys said that he kept a can of starter fluid, because it will mess somebody up faster and worse than pepperspray, and it's not an obvious weapon so you won't get hassled for carrying it in your truck.

Using starter fluid as a weapon in most states will be charged as assault with a deadly weapon. The possibility of perminate blindness is very real. In this day in age of "criminal rights" individuals who are proactive in thier personal security need to work within the confines of the law so they themselves don't go to jail.

Yup.

On a tangent, is it really a deadly weapon, or would it just maim?
If you deliberately maim somebody with somebody something that you know isn't going to kill them, is that still "assault with a deadly weapon"?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Depends on what state you're in. If you're in Idaho and get attacked then just beat them back with whatever is handy. If you're in California... you better just shoot to kill because they'll sue you afterwords if they live.
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics

Unread post by Guest »

While I was looking up something else, I came across this article, which may be of interest:
http://www.paforge.com/files/resources/ ... eapons.pdf
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Someone needs to turn these into a new Rifts Mercenaries book
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Rockwolf66
Hero

Mydnyte_Son wrote:
Rockwolf66 wrote:OC: One of my Snugglebuddies stopped carrying the stuff after she had to spray a man and it did not work. She beat the guy to the ground mind you..Still she was forced to get up close and personal. Now while she is only 5'3", she is both physically and mentally trained and prepared for a fight..

I would have to say from personal experience that the mindset is key. Training is the next in line. No weapon is useful if you cannot wield it properly or just WONT wield it when in need.

But BY FAR my most dearly beloved form of defense is a good solid head start. I am a master of run-fu

8)

Unfortunantly for her, she has bad knees and physically cannot retreat. As for just giving up...that's not part of her personality. Thus while she looks like a small, disadvantaged target to some people, she is the last person outside of my own family that I would ever want to fight.

GhostKnight wrote:Depends on what state you're in. If you're in Idaho and get attacked then just beat them back with whatever is handy. If you're in California... you better just shoot to kill because they'll sue you afterwords if they live.

Many, many people in the Firearms world give this advice:
"We don't shoot to kill. We shoot to stop."

If that means useing the Mozambique Drill then that is what you have to do.

As far as shooting anyone for whatever reason in The People's Republik of Kalifornia...Avoid it if possible. the DA's will do your best to mount your head on their wall.

Kuseru,
That's a great article, and the reason why my characters carry CR gas.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Just a question... what is "starter fluid"? Is that the same as lighting fluid, the kind of petroleum stuff you load zippos with or that you use to help start barbecue fires?

If not, just what is it?... I guess it must be a pretty strong irritant, or perhaps toxic, but just what is the basic purpose?

same, I saw the term "tire buddy"... is that a tire iron? Or is it some other product that can be converted to offence/defence purposes?
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Starter fluid is what you spray on charcoal to light it. If you spray it at someone and hold a lit lighter in the stream they will be badly burned

A tire iron (which is what I beleive was being refered to) is a handy blunt weapon.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

Chello!

I actually, I think the started fluid the truckers were referring is the Chemtool spray you can get in a spraycan to help get your car started....?

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
Ed
Adventurer

Unread post by Ed »

duck-foot wrote:ya ive encountered legal problems in this area. i used to keep a bat in my car (before the 05 hurricanes destroyed it :x ) and i had 5 diffirent police officers give me diffirent answers to its legality. i never did found out if it was completly legal to keep my moron-beater in my car.

Try a 22-oz framing hammer. You can get one at Lowes with a fiberglass, no-slip grip for less than $25. If anyone asks, you were doing some home repair like you saw on HGTV.
Ed
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Yep... my fav self defence instrument is a plain hammer... I needed one for some work in the house, so I went to buy one, and found one that's nice, heavy but not too much, and beautifully balanced, and when I took it in hand, I solved the koan of the sound of a skull crunching... So now, when I go to places when I don't feel safe, my satchel contains a big hammer in addition to the usual papers, books, basic pharmaceuticals and whatnot I always have with me ... plus, of course, if you come bother me at home, you can be afraid of hammertime.

I feel safer.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Rockwolf66
Hero

My lattest bit of self-Defence equipment is a 3-AA cell mini-Maglight. it's small, light, concealable, and totally legal. Even police officers who would arrest you for carrying a hammer around would have trouble making an arrest for a flashlight.

the best part about said flashlight is that it can be used as a kobutan, yawara, or arnis stick depending on your training.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

I keep my "beat stick" (18" maglight) in my truck at all times. I've never had to hit anyone more than once with it.

Personal experience with OC is that it's just too unreliable for my taste and I cant recommend carrying it in good conscience, though I do like CS when/if it's available.

Were I given my choice of nonlethal weapons, I'd probably have to go with the riot control shotgun loaded with alternating rubber and rocksalt rounds. Ok, so I have a thing for multifunction weapons...
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”