Favorite Pistol

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

psychophipps
D-Bee

Re: Favorite Pistol

Unread post by psychophipps »

Grey Death wrote:#1 You still missing my point. True an FMJ has a greater chance of wasting its energy blowing through the target. My point was that even this non expanding bullet, carries more potential energy than a smaller expanding bullet. So if a small expanding bullet is good, a larger expanding bullet is even better. Bigger equals more energy. More energy equals greater stopping power.

#4 So we're just back to shot and placement then? The recoil thing I can mildly understand. But those who consider .45 to much recoil need to man the heck up. Its not like its S&W .500. That has recoil thats more than needed. (As a side note my father and I were speaking about .500S&W, .480 Ruger. We both agree that really their just cartridges trying to do a rifles job.)
The longer "bang hit" is non-sense. Your trying to tell me people are dodging bullets at 900 feet per sec? That's some Remo Williams/Destroyer stuff.
Cost is a little more expensive. Bargain shopping is the answer my friend. Especially when it comes to practice ammo. Personally my little Ruger P-90 gobbles up any thing I feed it. Been shooting the Wolf junk for practice. Little dirty but a good value. I clean it after every session anyways, coupled with its seeming reliability I have no problems.
I cant argue with its heavier and typically has a lower magazine capacity. I don't judge a high capacity magazine as necessarily a good thing. I think in certain cases it encourages spray and pray tactics. I think a smaller magazine forces one to make placed shots. Because one has to make the rounds count. Now undeniably having 17 rounds at the ready is certainly more advantages than 7. But I think you see the point I'm trying to make. I always thought it was funny listening to cops in the early eighties talking about how they moved from the .38 revolvers to 9mm auto loaders, because they needed the greater firepower. Ballistically .38 special and 9mm are almost ballistically identical. They just felt better with a big magazine in the pistol.

(I'd just like to say its been nice arguing/discussing this with someone who knows what their talking about. Even if we dont agree on topics. :-D )

#1: More energy doesn't mean more stopping power, at least not for most handguns. Non-magnum handguns (and these need to be the heavier magnums and fire lighter loads in the 150gr and less range) are too minor in the power scale to have the extra temporary cavitation of a slight energy increase have any real effect. This temporary cavitation theory was the thought in the 80s, and the main reason for the swap to the super-sonic 9mm, but has since been disproved. The fact remains that you need to get a direct hit in the CNS and/or MBBO to facilitate a fast takedown of the target with reasonable handgun loads.

#4: Or grow bigger hands? :roll:
It's not about the target dodging the bullets, it's about taking a minimally-trained soldier, civilian, or LEO and having them lining up the sights on a mover and having to correct for ignition--->impact gap less while they're all but in a panic, tunneling, and losing fine motor control. Most people aren't D-boys and the like so anything you can do to make their job easier is time and money well spent, IMO.
Your capacity theory has been proven as false. Any gap in a firing string or tactical situation as to when a combatant is incapable of engaging a new or existing threat is, in highly technical terms, non-optimal. Reloading any more than necessary, especially for minimally trained combatants who can't smoke reloads like Todd Jarrett, creates a window of vulnerability as reloading is a fairly complex action and usually involves looking down at the weapon that they have barely qualified with rather than scanning for threats. More rounds means less of these gaps. Less gaps means less vulnerability. Less vulnerability means less chance of getting dead.
Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

psychophipps wrote:
Grey Death wrote:#1 You still missing my point. True an FMJ has a greater chance of wasting its energy blowing through the target. My point was that even this non expanding bullet, carries more potential energy than a smaller expanding bullet. So if a small expanding bullet is good, a larger expanding bullet is even better. Bigger equals more energy. More energy equals greater stopping power.

#4 So we're just back to shot and placement then? The recoil thing I can mildly understand. But those who consider .45 to much recoil need to man the heck up. Its not like its S&W .500. That has recoil thats more than needed. (As a side note my father and I were speaking about .500S&W, .480 Ruger. We both agree that really their just cartridges trying to do a rifles job.)
The longer "bang hit" is non-sense. Your trying to tell me people are dodging bullets at 900 feet per sec? That's some Remo Williams/Destroyer stuff.
Cost is a little more expensive. Bargain shopping is the answer my friend. Especially when it comes to practice ammo. Personally my little Ruger P-90 gobbles up any thing I feed it. Been shooting the Wolf junk for practice. Little dirty but a good value. I clean it after every session anyways, coupled with its seeming reliability I have no problems.
I cant argue with its heavier and typically has a lower magazine capacity. I don't judge a high capacity magazine as necessarily a good thing. I think in certain cases it encourages spray and pray tactics. I think a smaller magazine forces one to make placed shots. Because one has to make the rounds count. Now undeniably having 17 rounds at the ready is certainly more advantages than 7. But I think you see the point I'm trying to make. I always thought it was funny listening to cops in the early eighties talking about how they moved from the .38 revolvers to 9mm auto loaders, because they needed the greater firepower. Ballistically .38 special and 9mm are almost ballistically identical. They just felt better with a big magazine in the pistol.

(I'd just like to say its been nice arguing/discussing this with someone who knows what their talking about. Even if we dont agree on topics. :-D )

#1: More energy doesn't mean more stopping power, at least not for most handguns. Non-magnum handguns (and these need to be the heavier magnums and fire lighter loads in the 150gr and less range) are too minor in the power scale to have the extra temporary cavitation of a slight energy increase have any real effect. This temporary cavitation theory was the thought in the 80s, and the main reason for the swap to the super-sonic 9mm, but has since been disproved. The fact remains that you need to get a direct hit in the CNS and/or MBBO to facilitate a fast takedown of the target with reasonable handgun loads.

#4: Or grow bigger hands? :roll:
It's not about the target dodging the bullets, it's about taking a minimally-trained soldier, civilian, or LEO and having them lining up the sights on a mover and having to correct for ignition--->impact gap less while they're all but in a panic, tunneling, and losing fine motor control. Most people aren't D-boys and the like so anything you can do to make their job easier is time and money well spent, IMO.
Your capacity theory has been proven as false. Any gap in a firing string or tactical situation as to when a combatant is incapable of engaging a new or existing threat is, in highly technical terms, non-optimal. Reloading any more than necessary, especially for minimally trained combatants who can't smoke reloads like Todd Jarrett, creates a window of vulnerability as reloading is a fairly complex action and usually involves looking down at the weapon that they have barely qualified with rather than scanning for threats. More rounds means less of these gaps. Less gaps means less vulnerability. Less vulnerability means less chance of getting dead.

#1 Well I'm gonna let this go. I think suffic (sp?) to say we both have different opinions on this. Neither of which is gonna change.

#4Thank you for clarifying your point. That makes more sense.
But it also comes down to practice. Minimally trained people shouldnt be allowed to concealed carry. For just that reason. (not directed at you psycho) <rant>Just cause the government gives you a lincense to carry. Just dont stick that pistol in your pocket abd forget about it. Practice! Practice! Practice!</rant>
(Smoke reloads like Todd Jarrett, Nice referrence :) )
I can understand gap theory. But it practice its as we both agree about shot placement. If 7 rounds is not enough to take on a situation. With a minium of two rounds per target, with a backup round for clean up. Your already doomed. I'm not saying give up but four against one. In a situation where every body is armed. Odds are stacked against you. Unfortunatly I've seen time and again where people with large capacity wasted it. About oh jeez must be almost ten years ago. We had a police shooting here. A suspect was cornered in a basement. The officers sent the dog in after him. The suspect shot three times (IIRC) hitting the dog twice killing it. Both officers emptied their Glock 17s. They hit him twice. Out of 34 rounds hit him twice. I mean these guys have to qualify every year to carry. So they should have the basic skills right? But under stress they had 17rd mags and hosed the place down. Now if this was the 70's and they were armed with revolvers. Would they have made sure to hit with one or two shots? I guess thats kind of a theorectical question. But I think you get my point.
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
BigLEE
Explorer

Unread post by BigLEE »

Grey Death wrote:#1 Well I'm gonna let this go. I think suffic (sp?) to say we both have different opinions on this. Neither of which is gonna change.

Read the article at http://www.rkba.org/research/fackler/wrong.html. I stopped paying attantion to gunrag writer's opinions about bullet effectiveness years ago.
The real problem with freedom is speech is too many people don't know when to shut up.
Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

BigLEE wrote:
Grey Death wrote:#1 Well I'm gonna let this go. I think suffic (sp?) to say we both have different opinions on this. Neither of which is gonna change.

Read the article at http://www.rkba.org/research/fackler/wrong.html. I stopped paying attantion to gunrag writer's opinions about bullet effectiveness years ago.

Wow great article. Thanks for the link. Gives one a lot to think about.
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

While Fackler is someone who knows his stuff. There are some effects of temporary expantion and high velocity shockwaves in Terminal Ballistics. About a year or so back a DR. Michael Courtney did a study of how Temporary expantion and Hydrostatic shock effected living subjects. From reading his works i came away with the realization that there is no one method of ballistic damage that is the magic bullet so to speak, but a sum of combined forces working on the target.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

It's pretty much a repeating sawed off shotgun if you load it with .410 shot. Great personal defence at close range, not much else.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”