A religion for RIFTS Earth: the Humanist Church

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

allmarduk
D-Bee

A religion for RIFTS Earth: the Humanist Church

Unread post by allmarduk »

I have a proposal for an organized religion for RIFTS Earth: the Humanist Church. It's doctrines: God ordained the human species (homo sapiens sapiens) to occupy the planet Earth, D-bees and dragons and demons and similar creatures are racially inferior, and magic is a sin against God.
The Humanist Church originated in the New German Republic in the year 53 P.A., and the NGR government and Triax Industries utilized it to promote discrimination against D-bees, oppose magic, and help in the Republic's war with the Gargoyle and Brodkil Empires.
The Humanist Church has a hierarchy ranging from lowly deacons and ordinary priests to bishops and the Church Patriarch. It uses the Judeo-Christian Bible, but it also uses the writings of Martin Schumacher, the first Church Patriarch.
By 90 P.A., the Church has been sending missionaries to the Coalition States in North America and to the Sovietski and Warlord-controlled areas in Russia. Warlords Orloff and Solokov and certain Sovietski party leaders in Russia and the Prosek regime in the Coalition States have proactively promoted the Humanist Church because of it's pro-human, anti-magic, and anti-D-bee doctrines, though in the Coalition States the Prosek government has strictly controlled the appointment of bishops and other clergy in it's territory. The Coalition State's version of the Humanist Church in 102 P.A. declared it's independence of the New German Patriarch, and instead was headed by a Patriarch appointed by Emperor Prosek.
The Humanist Church in Russia is still under the authority of the New German Patriarch, though it is in constant conflict with various sects of Russian Catholic Orthodox Christianity, whose clergy see the Humanist faith as a religious rival and perhaps even too bigoted.
Last edited by allmarduk on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

sounds pretty cool for the RIFTS setting. Fitting with the view of the CS/NGR and others. :ok: Do you have any more written up for it? Any cool OCCs for it? I can just picture Full Conversion Borg Church High Inquisitors or something along those lines.

again cool stuff
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
allmarduk
D-Bee

cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:sounds pretty cool for the RIFTS setting. Fitting with the view of the CS/NGR and others. :ok: Do you have any more written up for it? Any cool OCCs for it? I can just picture Full Conversion Borg Church High Inquisitors or something along those lines.

again cool stuff

I might use the Catholic Priest O.C.C. from RIFTS Russia as a templete for Humanist clergy.
allmarduk
D-Bee

More on the Humanist Church

The Coalition States version of the Humanist Church, though it retains the basic doctrines and practices of the New German Humanist faith, has in recent years added the doctrine that the Prosek family is ordained by God to govern, and that God blesses the Coalition States as the savior of American culture and society.
The Coalition Humanist sect also difers from the orthodox/New German Humanist branch in their views of cybernetics and psi-powers. New German Humanist leaders proclaim that too many cybernetics are a sin against God because they strip the humanity away from humans, so they allow for limited use of cybernetics, but oppose total-conversion cyborgs. The New German Humanist clergy also view psi powers in the same fashion as magic.
The Coalition Humanist doctrines view psi powers in a negative light, but also say that they are okay as long as the psi-users are registered with Coalition authorities and utilized in the name of the Prosek regime. Coalition Humanist doctrine is more tolerant of cybernetics, including total-conversion cyborgs.
The Coalition Humanist Church also tolerates the existance of intelligent Dog Boys, though they are still considered inferior to humans. New German Humanists would denounce such a doctrine as heresy.
allmarduk
D-Bee

The Humanist Church in Free Quebec

After Free Quebec seceded from the Coalition States, the Humanist Church there was divided between those that supported the Coalition Humanist sect and those who wanted ecclesiastical reunion with the orthodox Humanist Patriarch in the New German Republic. In fact, the divisions in the Free Quebec Humanist Church started to occur when Free Quebec was still a Coalition State, and that was one of the reasons for Free Quebec declaring it's independence of the Prosek regime.
There is also a THIRD Humanist sect in Free Quebec, the Independent Humanist Association of Free Quebec. The IHAFQ agrees with the basic tenents of the traditional Humanist Church, but is governed by two bishops independent of the Coalition and NGR Patriarchs. The IHAFQ agrees with the Coalition Humanist Church regarding cybernetics but is more in line with the New German Humanist Church regarding psi powers. The IHAFQ also disagrees with the Coalition Humanists on the issue of Dog Boys.
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

I like it! WRITE MORE! THIS I COMMAND!
Just kidding :D but seriously I like to see more.
Nightmaster
Hero

Re: A religion for RIFTS Earth: the Humanist Church

Unread post by Nightmaster »

allmarduk wrote:I have a proposal for an organized religion for RIFTS Earth: the Humanist Church. It's doctrines: God ordained the human species (homo sapiens sapiens) to occupy the planet Earth, D-bees and dragons and demons and similar creatures are racially inferior, and magic is a sin against God.
The Humanist Church originated in the New German Republic in the year 53 P.A., and the NGR government and Triax Industries utilized it to promote discrimination against D-bees, oppose magic, and help in the Republic's war with the Gargoyle and Brodkil Empires.
The Humanist Church has a hierarchy ranging from lowly deacons and ordinary priests to bishops and the Church Patriarch. It uses the Judeo-Christian Bible, but it also uses the writings of Martin Schumacher, the first Church Patriarch.
By 90 P.A., the Church has been sending missionaries to the Coalition States in North America and to the Sovietski and Warlord-controlled areas in Russia. Warlords Orloff and Solokov and certain Sovietski party leaders in Russia and the Prosek regime in the Coalition States have proactively promoted the Humanist Church because of it's pro-human, anti-magic, and anti-D-bee doctrines, though in the Coalition States the Prosek government has strictly controlled the appointment of bishops and other clergy in it's territory. The Coalition State's version of the Humanist Church in 102 P.A. declared it's independence of the New German Patriarch, and instead was headed by a Patriarch appointed by Emperor Prosek.
The Humanist Church in Russia is still under the authority of the New German Patriarch, though it is in constant conflict with various sects of Russian Catholic Orthodox Christianity, whose clergy see the Humanist faith as a religious rival and perhaps even too bigoted.

Sorry guy but this religion although good for the Rifts setting would not fit the NGR at all because they as a nation are the less human supremacists that exist in Rifts Earth.

The CS then is impossible because the very concept of God to the CS is like believing in magic and in the supernatural.

I can see that religion however in other places of Rifts Earth.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

darkmax wrote:Sigh! Why can't we leave all religions and such out of Rifts Earth? Don't you realise that religion is the main reason why we are fighting one another on this planet right now?

That and economics.....
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

I like it, I agree that PB wouldn't publish such a thing but I think it's perfect for the Rifts setting, it's fits in exactly with human nature.

I think that after the split the CS would proclaim the Emporer as the head of the church like the Church of England did with the King instead of the Pope.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

The Sovereign wrote:
allmarduk wrote:I have a proposal for an organized religion for RIFTS Earth: the Humanist Church.

Okay, but you might not want to use the name "Humanist Church", seeing as how humanism is a real-world movement and people might get confused about them.

Yea, especially since the real modern day Humanists overwhelmingly tend to be atheists who would reject not only the idea of any God granting favor on anyone, but also the notion of racial supremacy of any sort.

Other than the name, I can see such a faith popping up in the world of Rifts Earth.

jedi078 wrote:
darkmax wrote:Sigh! Why can't we leave all religions and such out of Rifts Earth? Don't you realise that religion is the main reason why we are fighting one another on this planet right now?

That and economics.....

And even more so, old grudges. :nh:
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Nightmaster wrote:The CS then is impossible because the very concept of God to the CS is like believing in magic and in the supernatural.
save that Karl invokes gods name in the speach they wrote for him in game.
Nightmaster
Hero

Unread post by Nightmaster »

The Sovereign wrote:
Blight wrote:
Nightmaster wrote:The CS then is impossible because the very concept of God to the CS is like believing in magic and in the supernatural.

Also I'm pretty sure they believe in the supernatural, don't they? I mean, they're FIGHTING mages and demons. If they didn't think they existed, why would they be fighting them?

When I say believing in magic and the supernatural I mean that the concept of God, if the CS allow that religion to be workshiped, is like acceptance that wonders, miracles and etc (Magic) and the supernatural (God) as a whole can be good for humankind. Also I remember reading in one book of palladium that the CS dont accept religious just because of that.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Nightmaster wrote:
The Sovereign wrote:
Blight wrote:
Nightmaster wrote:
The CS then is impossible because the very concept of God to the CS is like believing in magic and in the supernatural.

Also I'm pretty sure they believe in the supernatural, don't they? I mean, they're FIGHTING mages and demons. If they didn't think they existed, why would they be fighting them?

When I say believing in magic and the supernatural I mean that the concept of God, if the CS allow that religion to be workshiped, is like acceptance that wonders, miracles and etc (Magic) and the supernatural (God) as a whole can be good for humankind. Also I remember reading in one book of palladium that the CS dont accept religious just because of that.

That was Dragons & Gods, but I write that off as the opinion of a freelance writer that snuck through than anything else. There's too many references in other books where Prosek and common soldiers make strong references to God in speeches and letters to home.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Isn't there enough misery and death in RIFTS Earth without bringing organised religion into things?
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community

Return to “Rifts®”