Doppleganger Fates

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Denaes
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Doppleganger Fates

Unread post by Denaes »

Tyciol wrote:When dopplegangers enter earth and want to stay there, the original must die or go to the nightlands within 48 hours or the doppleganger dies.

Is this in Nightbane? I recall reading something like this in Dark Conversions and they took a lot of liberties that were different from Nightbane.

Tyciol wrote:1. In the situation where the original goes to the nightlands, what happens if the original returns to earth? Is there another 48 hour countdown? If so, is the doppleganger aware of the threat?

I'd put this rule on it's ear. Whomever is there first.

If the Human is in the Nightlands andthe Doppelganger comes to Earth, the human has 48 hours to leave, kill the Doppelganger or get the Doppelganger to leave.

Tyciol wrote:2. If the original is killed, and he is resurrected on earth while the doppleganger is there, same question.

Going by my bizarro theory, if the Doppelganger is already on Earth, the Human needs to leave Earth or remove the Doppelganger somehow.

Tyciol wrote:3. It mentions that for both the human and the doppleganger to survive, either he or the human counerpart must return to the nightlands. Is this specific, or just generalizing it since it's the only two dimensions dealt with in the main book? Could the doppleganger stay on earth, but rather than go to the nightlands, the human goes to the inner astral plane, void, mirrorwall, dreamstream, or to another dimension entirely?

It's specifically saying that because.. I don't know. It's Palladium and they're consistant about inconsistantcy, contradictions and being vague. Was this said in the core book? The Astral Plane, Dreamstream & Mirrorwall didn't even really exist at that point (as far as writing goes).

Personally any dimenion is good enough for me (though if there is another "self" in that dimenion, the same thing might occur).

Tyciol wrote:Nightbane do not have dopplegangers as they are not human. As guardians, athanatos, wampyres, vampires, night lords and night princes were all originally humans, this means that they all had dopplegangers.

4. What happens to the dopplegangers after their transformation into inhumans?

I'd say that they're awakened as if the person died. But thats just a gut reaction that sounds interesting.

Tyciol wrote:5. Dopplegangers are twice pictured passing through a mirror to attack the original. How are they mirrorwalking alone when they do not have this power listed?

Easy Answer: Artistic vision. Art doesn't always match the text. Sometimes it gives the writer some nice ideas.

Harder Answer: Maybe the Doppelganger could be a mage or Shadow Warlock, or maybe something else was on the other side helping the Doppelganger.

Tyciol wrote:6. What happens to any food or drink Dopplegangers eat? Is it all expelled as waste, as opposed to only some as in humans?

Sounds right. I think eating for them is optional, so they would just eat for cover and pleasure.

Tyciol wrote:Dopplegangers are supposed to have the same OCC and skills as the original counterpart.

I think thats up to the point where they become awakened.

Tyciol wrote:7. Do dopplegangers, despite not being humans, have access to human-only OCCs, or are OCCs only duplicated in the case of those any race can select?

Which are human only?

In a game like Nightbane, there are Humans and then there are supernatural creatures. Often times any "human only" class really is "any non-supernatural, mortal humanoid race" but it's a moot point because you don't have elves and dwarves and other non-humans who are mortal.

I'd say just for ease of use that anything human only also included doppelgangers. Even if it fed on human life force specifically or human DNA specifically. The Doppelganger would them be like a bastardized twisted version that works with them rather than humans. Just my opinion though.

Tyciol wrote:8. If a doppleganger does get his counterpart's human-only OCC, would the ability to get such a class be solely for that OCC, or for any other human-only OCCs in the future?

Case by case basis. What "Human Only" classes exist? If it's human in the sense of "non supernatural", then I suppose its a theory. I normally don't allow multi-classing because it's done so awfully in palladium, but it's a possibility.

In the case of "human only" relying on DNA or "Human essence" then no. They have a twisted version because whatever created them as a twisted version of a human also allowed the class to work. Once they're awakened, they're on their own. They're not being fed abilities or skills by some other power.

Tyciol wrote:9. Do dopplegangers have dream pools?

hmm. Thats something to think about. I'd say yes as a gut reaction, but it seems like it could cause some balance issues with a Dreamdancer. Do Nightbane/Nightlords/Wampires have dreampools?

Tyciol wrote:10. If so, do they share a dream pool with their original or do they have their own?

Hmm, now thats an interesting thought. I think I like that better than them having a seperate pool. Harder to spot them.

Tyciol wrote:Thanks for your help :)

A lot of my opinion here, but my opinion normally goes towards whatever sounds like it would make an interesting story without nerfing something else thats also expected or interesting.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Tyciol wrote:Nightbane do not have dopplegangers as they are not human. As guardians, athanatos, wampyres, vampires, night lords and night princes were all originally humans, this means that they all had dopplegangers.

I'm with you on the undead. I guess nightlords/princes might have had dopplegangers, but i doubt they would last long, though that could be a very interesting story element. don't know about athanatos, but there's no proof guardians were really ever human (at least i hope there isn't :x ).
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Tyciol wrote:I have been reading up on the nature of dopplegangers, and come up with several situations which are not totally accounted for which I'm hoping you may all offer input on.

When dopplegangers enter earth and want to stay there, the original must die or go to the nightlands within 48 hours or the doppleganger dies.

1. In the situation where the original goes to the nightlands, what happens if the original returns to earth? Is there another 48 hour countdown? If so, is the doppleganger aware of the threat?

if the doppleganger is still in the nightlands, he dosn't have to worry. he won't die.

2. If the original is killed, and he is resurrected on earth while the doppleganger is there, same question.

better kill 'em again

3. It mentions that for both the human and the doppleganger to survive, either he or the human counerpart must return to the nightlands. Is this specific, or just generalizing it since it's the only two dimensions dealt with in the main book? Could the doppleganger stay on earth, but rather than go to the nightlands, the human goes to the inner astral plane, void, mirrorwall, dreamstream, or to another dimension entirely?

no, one has to be in the Nightlands dimension specifically

Nightbane do not have dopplegangers as they are not human. As guardians, athanatos, wampyres, vampires, night lords and night princes were all originally humans, this means that they all had dopplegangers.

where does it say Guardians were once human, preceicly?

as they are no longer human, the doppleganger simply ceases to exsist.

5. Dopplegangers are twice pictured passing through a mirror to attack the original. How are they mirrorwalking alone when they do not have this power listed?

the nightlords have the power to send their minions though the mirrorwall, remember? they are likely dopplegangers being sent to replace that person

6. What happens to any food or drink Dopplegangers eat? Is it all expelled as waste, as opposed to only some as in humans?

digested as normal, sinse nothing leads me to belive dopplegangers don't need to eat.

Dopplegangers are supposed to have the same OCC and skills as the original counterpart.

7. Do dopplegangers, despite not being humans, have access to human-only OCCs, or are OCCs only duplicated in the case of those any race can select?

they have the OCC of the human counterpart, regardless of normal restrictions

8. If a doppleganger does get his counterpart's human-only OCC, would the ability to get such a class be solely for that OCC, or for any other human-only OCCs in the future?

only for the ones their human already learned. assuming you allow multiclassing in the first place

9. Do dopplegangers have dream pools?

Sure. why not?

[10. If so, do they share a dream pool with their original or do they have their own?

seperate.

11. If separate, are they as separate as anyone else's dreampools, or are they linked since dopplegangers and original's lives are linked?

Thanks for your help :)

just as seperate as anyone elses.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Nightbane®”