FutureWeapons on Discovery Channel

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

FutureWeapons on Discovery Channel

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Has anyone seen the new show on the Discovery Channel called FutureWeapons? Its a show hosted by a ex-Navy SEAL about cutting edge weapons. Its airs on Wednesday night (after Mythbusters) and repeats on Sunday afternoon. I have only seen the first episode and thought it was rather interesting. It covered the Javelin missile, a new Israeli firearm that can shoot around corners, a new German mobile artillery gun and the F-35. It looks like it could be a good source for idea for Modern RECON.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Sounds interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out for when it hits Discovery Channel Canada.

Though I know a fair bit about most of that stuff allready.

Post Count 10 000 - 32
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

the_redstar_swl wrote:Its an OK show, The facts are a bit off and the guy won't shut up with buzzwords (IIRC he called a Predator UAV an "Assassin" or something like that, 6 times in five minutes) but its worth watching for the footage.

Is the "guy that won't shut up" the same out of work USN Pilot from the "Practical to Tactical" show?
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Shawn Merrow

One thing I do like is they are not just focusing on US hardware.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Who Ellis? He should know the difference on that if he was Navy, even if he was a pilot.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Shawn Merrow

The host is Richard Machowicz an ex-Navy SEAL not a pilot.

Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

The problem I have with the show is that it seems like an hour long ad for the weapons they future. Nothing bad or negative is said about the gear at all. (at least in the episodes I've seen.)

For example, when they talked about Metalstorm, it was all about the devastating firepower and the ROF of a million rounds a minute. Not one word was said about the fact that the systems run out of ammo in about two seconds at full ROF, or the fact that the things are very slow to reload. (the pistol is quick, but not the grenade launcher and such.)

The whole thing just feels like an excuse to look at cool toys, rather then a serious attempt to talk about cutting edge weapons.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well, really, when it coems to TV shows and new goodies, they are really just infomercials anyway.

Oh and it's a Tavor

Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

Does the Tavor share any comonality with the Vektor CR-21?
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as26-e.htm
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Not that I was aware of, though the Israelis and South African's arms developmnt programs have intermingled several times in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if the design teams of both weapons had worked together on other projects.

Shawn Merrow

New episodes will start airing Monday, Jan 15 9:00pm ET/PT.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Though it does seem at times the host doesn't know the difference between 7.62x39 and 7.62x51.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

The difference is considerable when it comes to muzzle energy, effective range, armour penetration and weapons compatability.

He was a SEAL, so familiarity with a variety of infantry small arms and their capabilities would seem almost essential to me.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Which is why it annoys me so much that he seems unable to differentiate them.

jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Jefffar wrote:Though it does seem at times the host doesn't know the difference between 7.62x39 and 7.62x51.

He might be explaining things to the audience.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Yes but when he refers to an AK-47 as firing a .308 (ie 7.62 NATO round) it sort of diminishes his credibility.

In short, he comes across to me as a defence industry hypeman rather than as any serious analyst of military hardware.

Grey Death
Adventurer

Jefffar wrote:Yes but when he refers to an AK-47 as firing a .308 (ie 7.62 NATO round) it sort of diminishes his credibility.

In short, he comes across to me as a defence industry hypeman rather than as any serious analyst of military hardware.

You got it right on the nose. All he is, is a hypeman. They call the show future weapons, in one of the episodes I saw he and, Ronnie Barrett owner of Barrett Manufacturing are firing a Barrett Model82A1/M107. You know the first model of rifle Ronnie built when he formed the company in 1982. Not exactly a future gun. Dont get me wrong I love seeing things blasted with a .50. Its just not new.
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

The episode with the Armscor Grenade launcher was my favourite.

He some how turned the M32 into the latest in weapons. The "6 Pack Attack" as he called it was some how silent, deadly and capable of firing a variety of unique special purpose rounds.

Except that grenade launcher has been in production for 20 years or more and is a standard 40 mm grenade launcher firing standard 40 mm grenades witht he same performance as can be extracted out of the M203. The only difference is it carries 6 greandes and replaces the soldier's primary weapon isntead of attaches to it.

Grey Death
Adventurer

You would think if they were going to talk about a "future weapon" from Barrett. They would show the XM109 25mm payload rifle. Which you can see here. Barrett used to have it on their site. But no longer do. Which leads me to wonder is it because they think the rifle has no civilian usage and has removed it. Or because they are haveing problems with it. So they are just doing away with it?

Besides if they want to show impressive future rifles. Show the Steyr IWS2000. Chambered for 15.2mm Steyr APFSDS. (Armor Peircing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot) That can penetrate 40mm of RHA (rolled homogenous steel armour). Its supposed to be able to pentrate any modern APC's walls at a 1000 meters.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

It might be because the 25 mm ammunition for the 25 mm rifle and a number of other development projects got their budgets cut to fund the war.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

the 25 mm cartridge is msotly an anti-infantry weapon / anti-vehicle weapon. Armoured vehicles are realy at the edge of it's target profile

Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

that 25mm baby is touted/designed as anti infantry? Wouldn't that be completely overkill? Plus, with a whopping 33lb gun, it's use would not only be reserved to elite marksmen, but to specifically emplaced ones not expected to have to move much (unlike basic snipers who get into position, snipe a few targets, and get away to commit more mayhem elsewere before the enemy can get at them). I can't see that thing having wide distribution, even as designated marksman squad level weapon.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Grey Death
Adventurer

svartalf wrote:that 25mm baby is touted/designed as anti infantry? Wouldn't that be completely overkill? Plus, with a whopping 33lb gun, it's use would not only be reserved to elite marksmen, but to specifically emplaced ones not expected to have to move much (unlike basic snipers who get into position, snipe a few targets, and get away to commit more mayhem elsewere before the enemy can get at them). I can't see that thing having wide distribution, even as designated marksman squad level weapon.

More than likely it would fire different kinds of ammo allowing it to take on different targets. HE, for anti-infantry, AP for hard targets. Not unlike how the South African Mechem NTW-20, and the Croatain RT-20 can be used. Except the NTW-20, RT-20 fire full power 20mm cannon rounds. As oppossed to the XM-109 reduced size cartridges.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

Future Weapons is a pretty good show, but I have a hard time watching it very often considering the guy that hosts the show is a putz. He continuosly does a lot of nodding as if he understands the concepts of the weapons or armor that they are talking about on any particular show, but while things are being explained to him he commonly has the glazed look in his eyes of a kid that's called on in school that doesn't know the answer. They need to have a host that can actually keep up with everything.

Like I said- the show is pretty good, but the host is an idiot- lol.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

duck-foot wrote:Well if R.Lee Emry wasnt already hosting Mail Call.
I say Richard Marcinko ( former seal, rouge warrior books aurther) he rights good books and my grandfather a former frog-man (same thing as a seal) meet him he knows his stuff. not to charismatic, but i want a guy taht knows what he is talking about and doesnt have the IQ of a shoe string.

I know what you mean. I'm not sure if I know who Richard Marcinko is, but I'm sure he'd be a Hell of a lot better than who they have now. :P
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Shawn Merrow

The latest episode was interesting in that it was in my area. It was a shame no one told him how to say Yakima. I do agree he can be annoying at times but at least they got someone with military experience.

GreenGhost
Adventurer

When he narates the opening of the show he states that he is a former SEAL, but that doesn't make him less a moron. Hell- I knew some Recon buddies that I thought were some real morons :lol:
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

You've got that right :lol:
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”