Guardian origins

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Guardian origins

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

Now, I don't have either Dark Conversions or the last Nightbane book, but I am pretty certain that this issue hasn't really been formally addressed.

How do you work the power behind the Guardians in your games? Is there a counterpoint entity known as, "The Light" (sounds better than, "Mr. Bright") which is responsible for these guys? Are they perhaps a differing creation of the Forge?

Might they be something that The Dark itself came up with to assist all life in snuffing itself out?
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Here is my take on it, for ill or nill....

After Dark Day, there is a "zone of evil" around the Earth that hampers God's ability to reach us (this is taken from The Divine Invasion by Philip K. D ick). Thus, angels cannot directly appear on Earth to combat the Nightlords (whose ultimate goal is to kill so many humans that God has no choice but to come out of his ivory tower, after which the Nightlords plan to do battle with the heavenly host).

So, in order to get around this zone of evil, lesser angelic beings are sent to Earth, but must inhabit the bodies of the recently deceased. These beings become the Guardians. The transformation into a corporeal being messes up the angels, however, explaining why they are driven to do good, but cannot recall their origins.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:After Dark Day, there is a "zone of evil" around the Earth that hampers God's ability to reach us (this is taken from The Divine Invasion by Philip K. D ick). Thus, angels cannot directly appear on Earth to combat the Nightlords (whose ultimate goal is to kill so many humans that God has no choice but to come out of his ivory tower, after which the Nightlords plan to do battle with the heavenly host).

I assume that this concept clears up the actual identity of the entity known as "The Dark" in your games then...

Interesting.

On a completely different topic, I am making a plug for this: http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/viewtopic.php?t=56768
Do like an election in Chicago - vote early and often...
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

I don't believe in the Dark. To me it is just another version of NAAI (Not Another Alien Intelligence).

To me, since the Nightlords were once human beings, it is scarrier that their evil is entirely their own, and not borrowed from some other-worldly being. That way, the evil of the Ba'al is a potential in all of us.

On the flip side, if the Nightlords were to conquer Heaven, then there would be no need for a Hell... which is why many of the Demon Lords are fighting to stop the Ba'al.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

My solution was to omit the Guardians (in my campaign) and replace them with Spirits Of Light from PFRPG.

I found Nightbane to be a good body of work when combined with other Palladium game books. I like to have Nightbane and their enemies from the Nightlands along with Shifters, Supers, Angels, Entities, etc.
It's a megaverse after all: make Palladium live up to its' promise of being one.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I figured they came from the same place the myriad of demons and other supernatural entites come from.

they just spawn randomly.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

I think of it along similar lines to Dr Braden. The Guardians are created by "God". The only angels we get are good people with boosted powers. Prove anything conclusively about the guardian's origins and you'll be trampled by zebra.
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

I am working on an "origins" for the Guardians. As for weather or not its true is up to the players.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog

Return to “Nightbane®”