Nightbane sensing Nightbane

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Joseph Kerr
Explorer

Unread post by Joseph Kerr »

I would say no to both, as B has not yet gained any of his supernatural abilities and does not radiate his inner potential and would read as normal human.

On page 85, under "The Two Sides of the Nightbane", it says after their becoming their supernatural nature manifests itself, and under the "The Natural Powers of the Nightbane" in the first paragraph describing the becoming it says Nightbane appear to be normal humans until they manifest. So i take all that as the answers to both your questions.

1: No.
2: No.
Help save the people who brightened my little brothers birthday, Palladium Books!!

Enigma - To the Sound of Rain.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Well I don't know if this helps or not, but the Athanatos from Shadows of Light and Rifter #18 can sense each other, and Nightbane. Likewise Nightbane can sense them as though they were also Nightbane. I realize that the Athanatos are sensitive enough to tell the difference between one of their own kind, and a Nightbane, but here's my argument anyway:

The Athanatos don't have the power to undergo their first Becoming on their own, and need a 7th level Athanatos to trigger them. So it stands to reason that an Athanatos can sense an un-triggered one. How else would they find each other? Perhaps Nightbane have a similar, but less sensitive ability.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Personally, I took a page from Highlander and gave ancient nightbane (and reshapers) the ability to sense "latent" nightbane.

I don't immediately see anything in the books that is concretely on one side or the other, though as others have pointed out, there are suggestions that latent nightbane are indistinguishable from humans (or whatever race is appropriate), and have neither facade nor morphus yet.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

As far as I know from all my readings, even other Nightbane can't detect someone who is/will be a Nightbane but hasn't gone through the Becoming yet. So, no, neither could sense the other.
Denaes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Denaes »

For the aim of an interesting game I would rule that a Pre-Bane could sense Post-Banes.

A Pre-Bane wouldn't know what he's feeling exactly, just that there is an odd feeling. I suppose they may learn what that means. It might be a chance (making some perception check) at close range like 5 feet and automatic upon skin touch.

I might also allow them to sense other supernatural creatures/changers in a similar fashion and having a different feeling associated with it (just bane or other)

Once they become a Post-Bane, I would just use the normal Nightbane sensing rules and whatnot.

It think it could lead to an interesting use of Pre-Banes and could be a cool plot element.

As for cannon, I think Pre-Banes cannot sense anything and Post-Banes can sense a Pre-Bane. I just remember it being mentioned somewere, but I don't have any facts.

Return to “Nightbane®”