Warpath: Urban Jungle – a secret, for now

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NMI
OLD ONE

Warpath: Urban Jungle – a secret, for now

Unread post by NMI »

Whats in the pipelin @ Palladium?
Could this "Warpath: Urban Jungle" be the long awaited Recon: Modern Combat?
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Hopefully it will give us an option.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

From the Press Release...

One of our upcoming games with a hard edge is Warpath: Urban Jungle™. This RPG is based on the novel, Warpath, by author, Jeffry Scott Hansen, and takes a no-holds-barred look at street crime, gangs, terrorism, cops and special forces in a modern world setting. Author, Jeff Hansen is the co-writer and co-developer of this game working directly with Kevin Siembieda.

Mr. Hansen brings his years of experience as a police officer and his imagination as a writer to create a high-powered and brutal portrayal of the war going on in the streets of our urban centers. The setting and premise go beyond a war on crime to include the FBI, CIA, NSA and secret organizations that are good and evil. Inspired by the real world, the Warpath: Urban Jungle RPG takes front page newspaper headlines into a gritty, fictional setting of the underworld, espionage and a secret war to control our streets and minds.

In conjunction with the release of the Warpath: Urban Jungle RPG, Palladium is considering offering the novel itself. However, the novel is much more explicit and violent than the game, and is NOT suitable for young readers – it deals with mature subject matter, strong language and extreme violence. We’d be curious to see what you, our fans, think. Might you be interested in the novel as well as the RPG?

The release date for Warpath: Urban Jungle has yet to be set, but we’re looking hard at Fall 2006.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

From what I understand
Warpath: Urban Jungle is to Law Enforcement what Recon: Modern Combat was to the Military.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Just got this from Kevin

A few details on Warpath: Urban Jungle: It will be an S.D.C. setting. Our modern world. Involves the criminal underworld, terrorists, secret societies and gangs, national security and the many law men and special operatives (often working covertly behind the scenes) who battle them and work to keep us safe. It will be a stand alone game, but it will also be compatible with Heroes Unlimited, Ninjas & Superspies, Beyond the supernatural and Nightbane.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

and will be very compatible with the Compendium of Contemporary Weapons.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Once the compendium is updated and revised properly.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

ash_wednesday wrote:
Jefffar wrote:Once the compendium is updated and revised properly.
Which is on the back burner....

You mean that it's on the stove? :shock:
Not still in the shopping cart at the store. :-)
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
gordyzx9r
Hero

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

The Deific NMI wrote:Just got this from Kevin

A few details on Warpath: Urban Jungle: It will be an S.D.C. setting. Our modern world. Involves the criminal underworld, terrorists, secret societies and gangs, national security and the many law men and special operatives (often working covertly behind the scenes) who battle them and work to keep us safe. It will be a stand alone game, but it will also be compatible with Heroes Unlimited, Ninjas & Superspies, Beyond the supernatural and Nightbane.

Couldn't you just use Heroes Unlimited and Ninjas & Superspies and get the same results? This sounds like a BTRC game called CORPS IMO.
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Or do what I do, take some catalogues of modern military gear (they are all over the internet) and convert from there.

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

No conversions
No requests for material that could be converted.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

So you can't "write up" any real world gear you find on the net? Is listing the cost of a set of fatigues or stating up an H&K G36 not cool? Would it be possible to define a little more clearly what PB considers a "conversion". I am not trying to be a wise ass, I just want to know.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

A conversion is the modification of someoen else's copywritten work to Palladium standard. In this case the offending post (now deleted) was asking which game systems had books containing weapons that were easily converted to palladium standard.

If you want to stat out a H&K G36 go ahead, just don't use a copywritten game book to do it.

Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

So that means thats its ok to suggest a reference book (as opposed to a game book) to create stats for weapons for use in our games? Correct?
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

To cover your butt, be able to site at least 2 seperate sources that have the same information - abd only use specifically factual information, but yeah.

Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

Thank you, that clears it up. :-D
gordyzx9r
Hero

BTRC makes a product called 3G for converting weapons to any system, or to design your own weapon system from black powder to rail gun to tachyon cannons. It's been a long, long time since I used it, but IIRC if your into math and formulas then it's your cup of tea...or just do what I learned to do and improvise on the fly.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Originally posted by gordyzx9r.
BTRC makes a product called 3G for converting weapons to any system, or to design your own weapon system from black powder to rail gun to tachyon cannons. It's been a long, long time since I used it, but IIRC if your into math and formulas then it's your cup of tea...or just do what I learned to do and improvise on the fly.
I used to own it. From what I remember, the formulas don't deal well with slow, wide rounds such as .45 caliber. I tried statting up the Light Assault Gun from Traveller, and I had to monkey around with it .
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
gordyzx9r
Hero

Scott Samson wrote:Kev was'nt kidding when he said that just the mere mention of this book was going to get folks talking. I just didn't expect it to be talked about in SEVERAL threads. Its awesome to see all the speculation and talk about this book. I am hard at work and I hope you guys enjoy it when it's done.

What is this game going to offer that we couldn't get from HU or even N&SS? Couldn't this just be a supplement for those instead of being a stand alone setting?
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

gordyzx9r wrote:What is this game going to offer that we couldn't get from HU or even N&SS? Couldn't this just be a supplement for those instead of being a stand alone setting?

I've often thought that Recon Modern Combat would appear much faster if it was done as a N&SS or HU module.

gordyzx9r
Hero

Jefffar wrote:
gordyzx9r wrote:What is this game going to offer that we couldn't get from HU or even N&SS? Couldn't this just be a supplement for those instead of being a stand alone setting?

I've often thought that Recon Modern Combat would appear much faster if it was done as a N&SS or HU module.

My thoughts too.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

You mean I'm going to have to drive over to Nevada and spend a few weeks on the range takeing notes then.

While I respect most Reputable Firearms writers, there are some rather bad apples out there. Just look at Ignatius Piazza, and he's not the only one in the industry.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

uh? why the necromancy? It looks like whatever that book is supposed to be, it's buried in the great compost pile of PB "to do" projects, along with Rifts Underseas : Lemuria, PFRPG LoD III and Rifts : Australia II & III ...
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Rockwolf66
Hero

If enough people ask for it. PB as a publisher will publish what their readers( being us who purchase from them) want to read.

As far as playing police officers go, I have to toss in a webpage by HCV.

http://worldinventory.googlepages.com

While it isn't much it's just about all some players want to know.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

I'll be nice, and keep my opinion, about ever seeing this book in print, to myself
Sir Neil
Adventurer

MAR 2008

Unread post by Sir Neil »

Rockwolf66 wrote:As far as playing police officers go, I have to toss in a webpage by HCV.

BTW, Police in Leeds, Alabama are issued 9mm SIG 226's, AR-15s, and Remington 870's.
As seen in Rifter 20
Called "disturbing" by Therumancer.
Was informed that "Recommending the destruction of a third of the nation is not appropriate."
Vidynn
Adventurer

Re:

Unread post by Vidynn »

why, what's wrong with it (I just bought it for BTS, Nightbane and N&SS...)?? :eek:
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Re: Warpath: Urban Jungle – a secret, for now

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well problem #1 it's about 15 years out of date now.

Problem #2 the stats are somewhat flukey with very similar weapons ahving radically different performances (my favourite example is the AK-74's short barreled varient only doing 1D6 damage while the full length varient does 4D6)

Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Jefffar wrote:Well problem #1 it's about 15 years out of date now.

well, so is almost every equipment list for the modern-day games. :D

nah, seriously, thanks for pointing out Problem No. 2 - I havent got a chance to compare stats so far.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

:D Don't forget the FAL and G-3! They messed those up also!
They can't see me...Right!?
Rockwolf66
Hero

Arnie100 wrote::D Don't forget the FAL and G-3! They messed those up also!

How did they do that?

My buddy Mark Cook owns a G-3A2 and while I don't have the book infront of me it's pretty accurate about the G-3. Now the old WWII German Mauser, the M-1 Garande and the British .303 need their damage upped slightly.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Arnie100
Knight

:-o Oopsie! You're RIGHT! My Bad! Reading the wrong book! I was reading the original version! in that one the G-3 did less damage than the FAL! However, they did mess up the .30-06 on page 79 where they had the .30 M1906 doing LESS damage than a 7.62mm NATO M-14 (Page 80)! :eek:
Rockwolf66
Hero

Arnie100 wrote::-o Oopsie! You're RIGHT! My Bad! Reading the wrong book! I was reading the original version! in that one the G-3 did less damage than the FAL! However, they did mess up the .30-06 on page 79 where they had the .30 M1906 doing LESS damage than a 7.62mm NATO M-14 (Page 80)! :eek:

Yeah the .30-06 should be doing the same 5D6 damage as the 7.62 NATO. At least the Military loadings have the same bullet weight and diameter and nearly the same velocity. Given the way that Palladium does it's damage the rounds are the same.

And just for fun.

.300 Winchester Magnum: 6D6 SDC Damage due to a heavier bullet and higher velocity over both the 7.62 NATO and the .30-06

.338 Lapua: 7D6 SDC Damage

.406 Cheytac: 1D4X10 SDC Damage

.416 Barrett: 1D4X10 SDC Damage

For a different game I'm currently doing an article on various Cartridges and what their damage is. While I am still sifting through the data I have already done quite a bit of number crunching.
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

I have a chart that I use that breaks down damage according to the ft/lbs of energy in a round. Damage is dependent on the size and energy of the round. It means that damage decreases as the distance increases. For example, the 5.56x45mm NATO (US M193 Ball) (3200fps/960m/s) does 4d6 damage at 0-350ft, 3d6 at 351-750ft, and 2d6 at 750-1312ft. The 5.56x45mm NATO (Ball SS109) (3002fps/900m/s) does 3d6+3 damage at 0-350ft, 2d6+3 at 351-750ft, and 1d6+3 at 751-1312ft. The 5.56x45mm NATO (Tracer SS110) (2920fps/876m/s) starts at 3d6+3 as well; as does the 5.56x45mm NATO (AP P-112) (2965fps/890m/s).

7.62x51 NATO (2700fps/810m/s) starts at 5d6 while the .30-06 Springfield (M2 Ball) (2500fps/750m/s) only starts 4d6+3.

The book I use is: Military Small Arms of the 20th Century, 7th Edition, by Ian V. Hogg & John S. Weeks, Krause Publications, Iola WI, 2000.

In the back of the book there is a chart that gives the Muzzle Velocity for every round listed in the book. For the range increments, I split the maximum effective range listed in the Compendium of Modern Weapons into thirds (or close to) and decrease the damage by one die as the range increases.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
Rockwolf66
Hero

Beatmeclever wrote:The book I use is: Military Small Arms of the 20th Century, 7th Edition, by Ian V. Hogg & John S. Weeks, Krause Publications, Iola WI, 2000.

In the back of the book there is a chart that gives the Muzzle Velocity for every round listed in the book. For the range increments, I split the maximum effective range listed in the Compendium of Modern Weapons into thirds (or close to) and decrease the damage by one die as the range increases.

I'm useing a combination of Cartridges of the world 11th edition and the Ballistics Tables produced by Guns and Ammo magazine.

I'm not running a single load from a single manufaturer through a damage formula but getting a readout from a large number of manufacturers and recording the rounds maker, the bullet weight, the bullet type, and the muzzle energy.

I'm not going to go into distances and damage reduction as the games that I play do not officially use such rules. Besides I'm doing enough bookkeeping as it is.
Arnie100
Knight

:D Use whatever makes your gameplay simple and fast!
Rockwolf66
Hero

Arnie100 wrote::D Use whatever makes your gameplay simple and fast!

well right now I am trying to figure out the damage for the .920 JDJ round. it's a modified 20mm cannon shell that fiires a 3,600 grain Ninety-two caliber bullet at 2,200 feet per second. According to the description the few rifles that fire it are in the 100 pound weight range.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I'm hoping this game book will be out this year! I've been waiting for it for along with the rest of you! I've got the novel, although I've got to read it yet. I'll read it soon enough!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
MOrab46019
Wanderer

Unread post by MOrab46019 »

Is there anything new about this one? The last thing we have is going back around 2006. Is it still in the works,dead,or just pushed back for everything else? Just want a update. Thank you.
MOrab46019
Wanderer

Unread post by MOrab46019 »

That is great to hear. I can't for this one to get out there. The old weapon book would that work with this system or is there going to be update of that as well. Thank you again.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Thank you for the update Jeff! Looking forward to the game!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”