Ion weapons.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

I have always thought of Rifts Ion weaponry as being electron guns. Basically, lightning bolt projectors.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Well, according to the offical stuff in RUE, Ion Beams are similar to lasers, but are a bit more damaging. They burn and irradiate the thing they hit, effectively cooking it and anything around it.

Being as it specifies that lasters are silent and recoiless (except for noise generators added to the guns), and it doesn't say otherwise for ion beams, I get the impression ion beams are as well.

I think of them as like a concentrated microwave or something... cooking and irradiating.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Ion Guns fire charged Ions.

Remember B5 the series...
Those hand guns were Ion-based.

They hit hard. HARD.
They Hit doing damage. Then the enegy burns flesh around the wound deeply. Think electrical burns here ppl. Nasty.

Ion Beams are the deadly versions of Stun-maces basicly.
While Stun-maces inflict minor SDC damages and can knock you out (stunguns), Ion Guns take it a step further. Instead of Stunning, the purpose is to kill...fast.

Ion Beams should have a seconardy effect much like a stungun if you survive it somehow...

Of course as with any MDC weapon, if you survive it, your KOed anyway from massive trauma to the body...

Lasers Burns/sears you
Ions Fries you
Particle Beams Vaporize/mists you
Plasma incenerates/ashes you
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

If you've seen War of the Worlds with Cruise then you've seen Ion guns in my game. Those big bolts of technicolor the tripods fire. Thats what they look like in my games, just more blueish.
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Should I start posting in this thread? :D

Personally, I think all energy weapons should look like the cool purple/blue beam weapons from Terminator 2 (the flash-forward scenes), just because that was cool. :)
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

I found a different kind of take on Ion Beams that is 100% based on real things they are doing right now. Using that I included the idea in a Rifter article I submitted a few weeks ago, and the following is a small porting form it, relevent to the subject at hand.

Though there are a few different kinds of ion beams, the purely energy-based ion “blasters” don’t actually project ions. They create ions out of thin air. First a pair of UV lasers shoot out to the target. These beams ionize two streams of air between the weapon and the target which serve as closed circuit conductor between the two. A split second there after a massive electrical discharge is shot down the ionized air circuits frying the target with more power than a lightning bolt, ionizing the victim. When the killer zap hits a person not only does it begin to vaporize him like an MD rated laser would, but also the electricity flows through the target’s entire body cooking the poor victim all at once. This inflicts a vaporized wound at the beam’s point of impact, but also additional vaporization and thermal damage throughout the body as whole. Given a powerful enough hit, it is possible for a single ion blast to “mist” an entire person in a single shot. This is a trick even a mega damage laser can’t do, but there are very few ion weapons that pack this much punch.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

TechnoGothic wrote:Ion Guns fire charged Ions.

Remember B5 the series...
Those hand guns were Ion-based.

They hit hard. HARD.
They Hit doing damage. Then the enegy burns flesh around the wound deeply. Think electrical burns here ppl. Nasty.

Ion Beams are the deadly versions of Stun-maces basicly.
While Stun-maces inflict minor SDC damages and can knock you out (stunguns), Ion Guns take it a step further. Instead of Stunning, the purpose is to kill...fast.

Ion Beams should have a seconardy effect much like a stungun if you survive it somehow...

Of course as with any MDC weapon, if you survive it, your KOed anyway from massive trauma to the body...

Lasers Burns/sears you
Ions Fries you
Particle Beams Vaporize/mists you
Plasma incenerates/ashes you

B5 Handguns were plasma based according to their tech manual [quote="Babylon 5 Security Manual" PPG: The phased plasma gun fires a "bolt" that is an extremely hot charge of energized helium (plasma) in a magnetic containment field...[/quote]
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Esckey wrote:If you've seen War of the Worlds with Cruise then you've seen Ion guns in my game. Those big bolts of technicolor the tripods fire. Thats what they look like in my games, just more blueish.

what not the sparky beams from the old War of the Worlds. With the funky warbling sound.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Qev wrote:Should I start posting in this thread? :D

Personally, I think all energy weapons should look like the cool purple/blue beam weapons from Terminator 2 (the flash-forward scenes), just because that was cool. :)

Wow your not bringing up how much recoil an Ion gun would have :P :lol:
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

That's based off of an IRL UV-laser stungun design, isn't it? I read something about that... it's supposed to be able to knock down a person (or car!) at about a mile range, IIRC... :)

If an ion weapon is firing charged particles at the target, for all practical purposes doesn't that make it a particle beam weapon? :lol:
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Wow your not bringing up how much recoil an Ion gun would have :P :lol:

Who, me?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Qev wrote:That's based off of an IRL UV-laser stungun design, isn't it? I read something about that... it's supposed to be able to knock down a person (or car!) at about a mile range, IIRC... :)

If an ion weapon is firing charged particles at the target, for all practical purposes doesn't that make it a particle beam weapon? :lol:

:-? How do you knock down a car? I didn't know they were standing up. Is this going to turn into car tipping?

I always figured the difference between ion and particle weapons was how the damage is caused. Though the PW's use charged particles this is just to allow the mass driver within the weapon to project them. They should also use lasers a nano-second before it launches the particles in order to clear a path of other particulate matter and extend range. Then the mass of particles are launched when it hits the target it creates millions of micro holes. If a sufficiently hard target is available it could cause micro explosions.

Ion I had always thought was an electron gun, which I guess would still be firing particles.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Qev wrote:That's based off of an IRL UV-laser stungun design, isn't it? I read something about that... it's supposed to be able to knock down a person (or car!) at about a mile range, IIRC... :)

Indeed it does! That's why I went with the approach I did. :)
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

Yep, I agree with Dead Boy, basically just a lightning gun. Probably looks like a bright bluish/purplish-white flash (though not as forked as natural lightning) and sounds like a thunderclap (probably not as loud as natural lightning, depending on the power of the weapon and the range at which it's fired).

PigLick
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Zer0 Kay wrote::-? How do you knock down a car? I didn't know they were standing up. Is this going to turn into car tipping?

LOL! Well, okay, not actually knocking over a car. Killing the engine electronics, is what I meant. :lol:

Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Actually, I use the Destabilizer from Robotech as a basis for additional effects for ion weapons, as for looks, like a ball of blue electricity.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Qev wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote::-? How do you knock down a car? I didn't know they were standing up. Is this going to turn into car tipping?

LOL! Well, okay, not actually knocking over a car. Killing the engine electronics, is what I meant. :lol:

So would you say that the gun produces a magnetic field in electronics or simply over powers the circuits? Oh sorry that question is too serious for most of our conversations. So I'll ask this instead. So does it Kill the electronics using a knife or it's imposing personality maybe an electronic horror factor? :D
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nxla666 wrote:Actually, I use the Destabilizer from Robotech as a basis for additional effects for ion weapons, as for looks, like a ball of blue electricity.
Nah don't use the destabilizer use the missile from the prototype in one of the other RT sourcebooks. Don't remember the books name though.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Esckey wrote:If you've seen War of the Worlds with Cruise then you've seen Ion guns in my game. Those big bolts of technicolor the tripods fire. Thats what they look like in my games, just more blueish.

I was wondering what they were. We were debating on if they were plasma. I didn't think they were, because the victims' clothing were mostly intact, but the people were vaporized instantly.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Res_Novae wrote:Could it knock over 7-11s as well? Because that would be extremely useful if it could.
With all this knocking over can it knock up? I'd hate to be blamed for some girl getting pregnant because I shot her. :nh: self :thwak:
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

MaddogMatarese wrote:

I was wondering what they were. We were debating on if they were plasma. I didn't think they were, because the victims' clothing were mostly intact, but the people were vaporized instantly.

Hmm the clothes should go up too though if they are ion guns. Wonder if they use some kind of controlled nutron beam? Then again that is just death by irridiation isn't it?
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Zer0 Kay wrote:So would you say that the gun produces a magnetic field in electronics or simply over powers the circuits? Oh sorry that question is too serious for most of our conversations. So I'll ask this instead. So does it Kill the electronics using a knife or it's imposing personality maybe an electronic horror factor? :D

I'm guessing it's inducing a current in the circuitry of the car's computer, hosing things like fuel injection and whatnot. I dunno much about cars, sadly. :-)

Although I like the electronic horror factor idea! I wonder what the HF to a home computer is for a three-year-old in wool socks, scrubbing his feet across the carpet? :lol:

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
MaddogMatarese wrote:

Hmm the clothes should go up too though if they are ion guns. Wonder if they use some kind of controlled nutron beam? Then again that is just death by irridiation isn't it?

Spontaneous Human Combustion beams. :D

Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

Well all it was doing basically was vaporizing anything with water, mostly. Think theres a few scenes where they went through buildings to hit people.
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

And a couple cars as well. Then again, maybe the people were exploding as they were hit and that's why their clothes were flying off. Or maybe it falls under BILC.
-Juicer-
D-Bee

Unread post by -Juicer- »

In the Rifts games I usually run, the group pretty has set mental imagery for when the weapons fire (no joke; we've talked about it :D ). This is my take on the various energy weapons o' horrible maiming death employed by friend and foe alike.

Lasers: Slight change from canon; they make a sharp, swift "hissing" sound, which culminates in a audiable slicing impact when they burn/strike into their target (usually in the same breath). The beams are also at least partially visible; wavering-to-clear beams of (usually) red energy, due to the sheer amount of power behind each shot (making the energy radiant, or somesuch...hell, don't ask me. I'm not a physics type :P )

Ion Weapons: Similar to lasers, but a clear electric blue/brilliant white with a wavy or fuzzy/lightning aspect around the actual charge. Also, fires bolts rather than beams; extremely fast travel rate. Sharp cracking sound when they fire, and anything hit suffers crawling lightning effects/cosmetic damage to nearby electronics/nasty damage.

Plasma Weapons: Fun fun fun :D Charged bolts of brilliant yellow/orange or purple/blue plasma, glowing and with a travel time to make accuracy not an issue but enough to make an enemy soil himself at the though of being hit by the things. The bolt is more of an electromagnetic "packet" for the plasma; when the bolts impact, they spray like exploding napalm, and flash-vaporize whatever they strike in that splash in a few milliseconds. Big, loud, and the charging shot carries with it a whining power-up sound and some nice recoil when it fires. I sometimes describe stuff like heavy deuterium cannisters used as heavy element "fuel" by the gun as being visible, but it has absolutely no-game effect, just adds a bit more variety than having a simple E-clip. Of course, as long as you have e-clips, it never empties..if you ever know it's there. Viva la NG-E4A!

Particle beam Weapons: Oooh...since these are the big boys, I usually asign them a sci-fi feel. An "energy weapon" sound (how the hell do you describe science fiction film energy weapon shot sounds in text?!), muzzle flash, and a thick beam/bolt of brilliant white or green energy that appears between the gun and the target; its travel time so fast that it appears to bridge the gap between the two for a moment, followed by a miss (energy vanishes just as fast across the horizon), or impact (biiiig explosion of energy/bits of person). These weapons *always* have recoil in our games; also, since they use accelerated heavy particles, a hit from a particle beam wepaon leaves a lingering trace of radiation that fades in a short time (also not enough to cause problems; like the heavy element cannisters, it's purely a descriptive point).

Of course, we have other images too...and every deviates some way :D Ultimately., it's what makes your game visually fun and cool that's important. There's room for every interpretation; go nuts if you like Star Wars-style blaster bolts for lasers if you like. Don't try to apply realistic physics; it will only make your head hurt :shock:

-Juicer-
> It was not me, officah...just the ninjas in my eyelids.

Return to “Rifts®”