Catatonic Strike with Psi-Sword?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Judas
Dungeon Crawler
Location: England when summoned otherwise Hell, where I burn well.

Catatonic Strike with Psi-Sword?

Unread post by Judas »

Quick question, do you think Catatonic Strike can be used with the Psi-Sword, saw the Mind Mage post and thought I'd a add a little problem our party has encountered, what does everyone think?

:?
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
-- Matthew 7:15
"Every girl looks good in the dark."
--Faraday's Law# 99

"A myth can die, but a legend is forever"

Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Not certain if this is Canon or not.
I would not allow it. One or the other, but not both.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Astroconch
D-Bee

Unread post by Astroconch »

Sure don't see why you couldn't.
Long live the Travelers!

"Some things just aren't funny. Beatings aren't funny. Mimes
aren't funny. But beating a mime - why is that so hilarious?"
-- Dave Attell
Astroconch
D-Bee

Why would it be munchkin when you could have both powers? You people and your munchkin crap is just laughable.
Long live the Travelers!

-- Dave Attell
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

I wouldn't call it munchkin, I'd call it a good idea, except...

Catatonic Strike requires a physical attack, and I don't consider a psi-sword physical. Psi-Swords are fields of energy, not solid objects, so I don't believe they are capable of delivering a CS.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Judas
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Judas »

Thanx for the replys peeps, opinions welcome, and Sentinel sorry am not cannon (who ever cannon is)

"Mine is not to wonder why"
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
--Faraday's Law# 99

Slag
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Slag »

J. Lionheart wrote:I wouldn't call it munchkin, I'd call it a good idea, except...

Catatonic Strike requires a physical attack, and I don't consider a psi-sword physical. Psi-Swords are fields of energy, not solid objects, so I don't believe they are capable of delivering a CS.

I agree...Cat Strike = Physical strike. Psi Sword = intangible energy.
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
Astroconch
D-Bee

Now is it really intangible energy or ectoplasmic energy? If it is the latter then it would be physical.
Long live the Travelers!

-- Dave Attell
Judas
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Judas »

Psi-sword is physical on some level thought because it is used in a physical weapon to parry & strike, I see the point about the energy however this may nd sum rethinking!

MrGiggles wrote:"Would you like fries with your munchkin?"

Yes it reeks of beard, but its better than the psychic Bio-manipulation: Paralysis all the time, the lesser of 2 evils mate, plus the player shouldn't be munkined up 4 "at the time" a good idea (we were facing a Baalrog demon, just after we had a time fighting the lesser demons, damn summoners!).
--Faraday's Law# 99

Astroconch
D-Bee

I was just thinking that ectoplasm is psychic energy so the psi-sword might be similar
Long live the Travelers!

-- Dave Attell
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Catatonic Strike (PFMB pg 173) states the power is "delivered from a stabbing attack with a blade weapon"
Psi-sword (PFMB pg 177) states "the sword appears out of thin air as a shimmering blade of energy"
Keeping these definitions in mind...strictly by the wording a psi-sword is a blade weapon, so yes it is possible to combine the two powers.
On the other hand additional text in both powers state
1. Catatonic strike is a physical attack...
2. Psi-sword is composed of energy...
In this respect the answer is no; the powers cannot be combined.
However; further text in the description of Psi-sword repeatedly refers to the sword as a blade...
For this reason my personal take on this is yes it is possible.
As to it being munchkin...Two things.
1. Why is it every time someone comes up with an inventive use of powers someone inevitably says it is munchkin? :roll:
2. Psi-sword requires 15 seconds (1 full melee) to create and Catatonic strike requires 1 action to activate...fairly high cost (and this doesn't even take into account the ISP costs) for some thing that is only around for 2 actions IMO.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Janus
Dungeon Crawler
Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus

Unread post by Janus »

Oh what are you talking about? The "blade" is energy therefore unable to make a physical attack. The wording may call it a "blade" but that does indicate a physical thing. Also I think psi-amorphousblob is not as cool sounding as psi-sword. I think people use the term munchkin not because it is a clever idea, but more to the point of using the rules to really power them up. Clever is as clever does, but a rule lawyer to max a character is a munchkin player. They want more then what is standard. Now then combining psi-sword with psi-shield for a shield bash attack is not munchkin it is clever. Hey, I think it is a cool idea I am going to write up rules for it.

Had to give you a hard time Damian.
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

true, Janus
however the main reason I would allow this is mainly because the psi-sword does actual physical damage...
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Damian Magecraft wrote:true, Janus
however the main reason I would allow this is mainly because the psi-sword does actual physical damage...

Hmm, does it? I've always treated it a bit like... I dunno... Call Lightning let's say. An attack that has very definite physical repercussions (as many damage spells and psionics do), but is not itself physical. It's a form of energy, it varies in damage by level, cannot be saved against, etc.

I certainly understand the argument that it's physical, being as it can be parried and all, but we'd always used it as just a special form of psionic energy field. Interesting indeed!
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

J. Lionheart wrote:

Hmm, does it? I've always treated it a bit like... I dunno... Call Lightning let's say. An attack that has very definite physical repercussions (as many damage spells and psionics do), but is not itself physical. It's a form of energy, it varies in damage by level, cannot be saved against, etc.

I certainly understand the argument that it's physical, being as it can be parried and all, but we'd always used it as just a special form of psionic energy field. Interesting indeed!

strictly by the rules (splitting hairs here) all it states under Psi-sword is that it does damage and can parry. anything else is personal preference...
and nowhere does catatonic strike state that it must be a metal blade. so theoretically it could be used with a wooden practice blade.

also check out PF D&G pg 47 under the Ultucan Dragon's Psionics powers it lists Catatonic strike and Psi-sword. now since the ultucan has no true hands...i have a hard time with allowing them to TK a blade and use the catatonic strike...(some things even I wont allow) it seems logical that catatonic strike and Psi-sword are compatable IMHO.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Aye, I agree with you on the personal preference thing. I daresay I'd be happy enough to play however my GM wanted to, as long as it was consistent.

Add item number #147 to the list of "Things to ask the GM about when playing with them for the first time."
Janus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Janus »

oh no it does not! It is all dream damage the PC wakes up with a slight headache. Ok maybe not. I would not allow it unless the psi-sword became a physical manifestation of a sword, not just doing physical damages. Energy is one thing to do damage lightning is energy it does damage, but is not real tangible. Much like a psi-sword, energy. I think the cata would slip off that energy like a Tonya Harding on an ice rink.
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

Judas
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Judas »

sorry to take some thing from rifts but the cyber knight book goes into more detail than any other book on the psi-sword, it reads like the blade is physical blade as the knight (mind mage) can form the weapon like it was forged from steel even with insignias, also the pallaidum psi-shield states its a companion to the psi-sword but must be physical as it can parry everything including dragon fire (just like eric out of D&D the cartoon :-D )

But your energy theory sounds sensible on some level, it might be a bit of both!
--Faraday's Law# 99

Janus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Janus »

Judas wrote:sorry to take some thing from rifts but the cyber knight book goes into more detail than any other book on the psi-sword, it reads like the blade is physical blade as the knight (mind mage) can form the weapon like it was forged from steel even with insignias, also the pallaidum psi-shield states its a companion to the psi-sword but must be physical as it can parry everything including dragon fire (just like eric out of D&D the cartoon :-D )

But your energy theory sounds sensible on some level, it might be a bit of both!

Seeing as how everything is compatible in the megaverse, never apologize for using something from Rifts. If that book is the one i am thinking of, I have it and will give it a once over. It may be exactly as it states and becomes physical allowing for catatonic strike.

Judas
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Judas »

Cheers Janus :?
--Faraday's Law# 99

Janus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Janus »

Judas wrote:Cheers Janus :?

I'll drink to that.

Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

I would say yes because I have always thought of the Psisword as a psychic manifestation that inflicts physical damage being as it mimics a sword.

Unread post by Guest »

Ya know...Wayne Breaux recently stated that he was changing some things, and making two types of energy weapons, one pure energy that cannot parry, but is very damaging...

and the other is solid energy, does less, but can parry...

he said Psi-Swords will fall in the second category

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”