1e to 2e

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Entiago
Adventurer

Re: 1e to 2e

Unread post by Entiago »

Zachary The First wrote:So I got into a conversation with theis guy today, and it turns out he used to play PF 1e around '91, '92. I asked him if he still was interested in playing, but he said nah, he heard about 2e, and didn't want to convert everything over. Call me crazy, but conversion just isn't that big a deal, is it? I mean, it usually takes a couple minutes, tops. Right? Second question, does anyone do anything special or out of the ordinary for 1e to 2e conversion, or do you use SDC and the skills set as they are?

Mostly for quickness I just add on the proper S.D.C.. If I have time and care about it I will go into it and redo the whole NPC.
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
Rpgpunk
Explorer

Unread post by Rpgpunk »

Zachary The First wrote:So I got into a conversation with theis guy today, and it turns out he used to play PF 1e around '91, '92. I asked him if he still was interested in playing, but he said nah, he heard about 2e, and didn't want to convert everything over. Call me crazy, but conversion just isn't that big a deal, is it? I mean, it usually takes a couple minutes, tops. Right? Second question, does anyone do anything special or out of the ordinary for 1e to 2e conversion, or do you use SDC and the skills set as they are?

Don't forget that adding on of PPE.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Zachary The First wrote:
Magestaff wrote: In your example it is my gut feeling it was more of a excuse then anything else.

Then you and I are on the same wavelength.

its the excuse i hear when people don't like the new version of most games... "I dont wanan convert" is the most common excuse amng hardcore 1st & second D&D fans, 1st ed. Shadow run fans and 1st ed. PFRPG fans...
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Rpgpunk
Explorer

Unread post by Rpgpunk »

Zachary The First wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Zachary The First wrote:
Magestaff wrote: In your example it is my gut feeling it was more of a excuse then anything else.

Then you and I are on the same wavelength.

its the excuse i hear when people don't like the new version of most games... "I dont wanan convert" is the most common excuse amng hardcore 1st & second D&D fans, 1st ed. Shadow run fans and 1st ed. PFRPG fans...

The 1st and 2d D&D fans are hardcore about that stuff....I like 2e, too, so I can see where they're coming from, but I know some who just stopped playing rather than upgrade. The only folks they could find to play with were 3/3.5, and they'd rather just not play. Pity.

I'm one of them, I gave up on AD&D when 3E came out. No one wanted to play 2nd E anymore so I sold everything.
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

Zachary The First wrote:
Entiago wrote:

Mostly for quickness I just add on the proper S.D.C.. If I have time and care about it I will go into it and redo the whole NPC.

That's about what I do, except for PCs, I go ahead and re-do skill selection. Do you do anything different for your 1e PCs than your 1e NPCs, Entiago?

Well when I first started playing Palladium Fantasy (um.. back in 95-96) My LCS had the 2nd ed Rule book but only the 1st ed source books- so it was no real problem, in fact I didn't buy any 2nd ed sourcebooks until 2 years later when I began to run the games (before that my friend was the GM). I used the basic character creation for PCs because I had the 2nd ed rulebook so there was no real problem in creating PC.
I always known there must have been a 1st ed rulebook but did not find one until this year- 2 months ago to be exact.

Also that guys answer was a nice brush off-lazy, but nice

I should also note that before playing PF, I was an avid D&D 2nd ed player. I hated the AC and Thaco rules but there was nothing else out there....until we found PF. oh joyous Palladium. I have played 3.0 and 3.5- the GMs were terrible and IMO I didnt like the system (but thats in another thread and should not be opened here).
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Sounds like an excuse to me. I got 2nd ed PFRPG, and it was nothing like D&D 1st/2nd edition, or at least it didn't seem like it.
Adding SDC made sense to me (I was so happy about that), the new art was cool, and updating characters from one to the other wasn't hard at all.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Some classes are easy... just add P.P.E., S.D.C., and redo skills. Others are much much harder.

A first edition priest over third level getting converted to second edition will find they've been totally screwed over, while a 1E druid going to 2E will find out they're not even a Main Book druid anymore, but rather a Mount Nimro were-shaman. Generally, the more complicated the class, the more complicated the conversion.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, while I don't think it's that difficult the real problem is having to convert everything over. Everytime you use something from the 1st ed, you have to convert. Or, you have to convert if you go from 2nd to 1st.

-Vek
"He could always do what everyone else does, maek a 1.5."
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

I would play 2e if I had to... personally I see no point to converting at all.

Either road, if I were playing 2e I would just anew.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”