Demon Death Blow = World of Hurt to a Dragon

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Your average dragon of 3rd level or more would also have AoI available, and possibly energy field. Then there is the ability to fly vs the fact that Demon Death Blow can only be done in hand to hand, and the fact that I don't remember Palladins having DDB... :D

However, if you want to know, I have a MA from the Palladium Orient article who just did 300+ SDC with ONE kick recently.

Demon Death Blow (double damage) + flying reverse turn kick, rolling a natural 20, and a few other mods... :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

Your average dragon of 3rd level or more would also have AoI available, and possibly energy field. Then there is the ability to fly vs the fact that Demon Death Blow can only be done in hand to hand, and the fact that I don't remember Palladins having DDB...

Yeah, Palladins do in fact have a version of Demon Death Blow.

However, if you want to know, I have a MA from the Palladium Orient article who just did 300+ SDC with ONE kick recently.

Demon Death Blow (double damage) + flying reverse turn kick, rolling a natural 20, and a few other mods...

That's pretty impressive :eek:
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Borast wrote:[...]and the fact that I don't remember Palladins having DDB... :D

They didn't in first edition, but picked it up in second edition as their special ability to distinguish them from knights.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Cranus wrote:
Borast wrote:Demon Death Blow (double damage) + flying reverse turn kick, rolling a natural 20, and a few other mods...

That's pretty impressive :eek:

Mind you, we didn't find out exactly HOW much damage I did at first...we forgot one of the multipliers. We figured it out half an hour or so later. Not that it mattered, since the original total, when added to the additional damage done by the other PCs that same action killed it handily anyway (about 50+ points)... :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

SabreRabbit wrote:I hurt the dragons by being anti-social and refusing to interact with them. That way, I get to continue pulling air into my lungs.

HUMAN! YOU DARE TO IGNORE ME! *CHOMP* :x 8-) :P
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

I think that is why they made them so tough. It is impractical to go toe to toe with a dragon. This isn't RIFTS after all.

Yea, I often think about the knight and his flying horse splattered all over the mountain side on the cover of the the rulebook. And the back cover, well, I just imagine a small pile of ash at the bottom.
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

The Nightbane Hobbes wrote:Ok then how is a GM supposed to challange a player whos running a Dragon Hatchling?

If he/she can simply dimensional teleport at will away then combat is reduced to simple hit and run tactics on the dragons part.. Fights until hurt then teleports away, heals and teleports back to finish off the enemies..

Restrictions. That and deal with it the same way your players would deal with an NPC dragon, Hunt them down. Then there are Dragon Hunters coming after them...
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

IIRC, there was a Rifter article with an order of Knights who hunted Dragons.
A well put together party of NPCs can be a challenge to a dragon. Rune weapons help.
Demons. Have you seen how much of everything a raksasha has going for it?
I've always believed that it should be possible to kill dragons. I never said it should be easy or fun to do so.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Magic that prevents teleporting - clouds of slumber, mind controls, and such things as this - would be a tool to have in the dragon fighter's utility belt.

The more folks gathered and equipped for the fight, the better.
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

Sentinel wrote:IIRC, there was a Rifter article with an order of Knights who hunted Dragons.
A well put together party of NPCs can be a challenge to a dragon. Rune weapons help.

Yep, those are the ones I'm talkin about. Rifter #7...Dragon Hunters of Kremakrilon.Good article.
- the Book

pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

I saved a town once...Playing a water/air warlock, I confronted a dragon. I told him that he can eat my g/fs (at the time) PC for taking the gold from his hoard, and that I'd even cook him for him, but first before that join me for a cold drink. (ICE COLD) 200 year old elvish wisky. No poison, just cold. To a great horned dragon. As I dipped my glass into the container, I cast freeze water. The dragon thinks I put something into his drink, so he casts purification and drinks. He basically froze his insides.

If he had survived it, I would have had to make a cooking check to see if I had prepared my ex g/fs PC correctly. I was playing a princapled character. I don't lie! Then again, I don't exactly have to tell the whole truth.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

I would have forced an imediate alignment change cuz those actions, especially the cooking of another pc, aren't those of a good aligned character.
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

Jester wrote:
The Nightbane Hobbes wrote:Ok then how is a GM supposed to challange a player whos running a Dragon Hatchling?
If he/she can simply dimensional teleport at will away then combat is reduced to simple hit and run tactics on the dragons part.. Fights until hurt then teleports away, heals and teleports back to finish off the enemies..

Easy have him come up against a full grown dragon ...or one of his own siblings.
Alot of times I find that the player wants to play something powerful or munchie. So I just have their enemy someone of their same class only a few levels higher. I use the same tricks they try on me back on them.

Right that always works well. I have a Palladin in my current group go up against his evil older brother. You would not belive the difference between 6th level and 9th level- as far as bonuses and skills go. His brother (the evil one) whooped his ace.
- the Book

Sentinel
Palladin

I don't have my books in front of me, but, if you really need to have a character take on a dragon, check out the traditional samurai in Rifts Japan. Ignore the MDC stuff, but they have a special attack if my memory serves me, that is similar to the Palladin death blow.

Sentinel
Palladin

What about a psionic healing power? The dragon should be able to get one of those.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”