Which books are worth getting?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Marcantony
Adventurer

Which books are worth getting?

Unread post by Marcantony »

Ive got the main book, old ones and high seas. Im now in a better financial situation to start buying up on other PF books. So are they all worth buying? Or are there any I should avoid?
And as I said in my Rifts thread I tend to prefer worldbook type information over adventures.

thanks

Edited for spelling; meant to say 'now' not 'not'.
Last edited by Marcantony on Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Well, in my opinion, all of them are worth getting (I have at least one copy of each PF book), but...

My first reccomendations to you for additions would be Monsters and Animals, Dragons and Gods, and Library of Bletherad. All three are stacks of information that do wonders to spice up your campaigns, without providing any specific adventures that I can think of. Their content can be used with any character or any adventure in any location in the entire game world.

For specific world books that are especially useful, it depends on your power level and group makeup. If you are predominantely Human, Elf and Dwarf dominated, I would go with Western Empire and Eastern Territory. If you do "monster races," I would suggest Baalgor Wastelands and Yin-Sloth Jungles. If you're Wolfen, Wolfen Empire and Northern Hinterlands.

Mount Nimro and the Land of the Damned books are tailored to higher power campaigns than the others, so consider your game type first.

Island at the Edge of the World is great fun in my opinion, but it is pretty much one big adventure. Also, if you don't care about the extra adventures, just getting Wolfen Empire in place of the two first edition Adventures in the Northern Wilderness books should be just fine.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If its a PF book , get it. :D

Otherwise, the same order as Lion Heart said.

And Some of the Rifters have PF sorce matirial also.
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

J. Lionheart wrote:Well, in my opinion, all of them are worth getting (I have at least one copy of each PF book), but...

My first reccomendations to you for additions would be Monsters and Animals, Dragons and Gods, and Library of Bletherad. All three are stacks of information that do wonders to spice up your campaigns, without providing any specific adventures that I can think of. Their content can be used with any character or any adventure in any location in the entire game world.

For specific world books that are especially useful, it depends on your power level and group makeup. If you are predominantely Human, Elf and Dwarf dominated, I would go with Western Empire and Eastern Territory. If you do "monster races," I would suggest Baalgor Wastelands and Yin-Sloth Jungles. If you're Wolfen, Wolfen Empire and Northern Hinterlands.

Mount Nimro and the Land of the Damned books are tailored to higher power campaigns than the others, so consider your game type first.

Island at the Edge of the World is great fun in my opinion, but it is pretty much one big adventure. Also, if you don't care about the extra adventures, just getting Wolfen Empire in place of the two first edition Adventures in the Northern Wilderness books should be just fine.

Hey you forgot Old Ones, the book that covers the Timero Kingdom, which by the way is a good book for starting off on basic adventures (not to mention it has 3 adventures).
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Entiago wrote:Hey you forgot Old Ones, the book that covers the Timero Kingdom, which by the way is a good book for starting off on basic adventures (not to mention it has 3 adventures).

He has it already.
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

@ionheart"]
Entiago wrote:Hey you forgot Old Ones, the book that covers the Timero Kingdom, which by the way is a good book for starting off on basic adventures (not to mention it has 3 adventures).

He has it already.[/quote]

Duh. :-P I guess I should have read that.
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

Thank you all for that. Ill make a list in the order you gave me. :)
So I take it that unlike Rifts there are no turkeys in the PF series?

Forgot to ask; is Wolfen empire a reprint of the other wolfen books?
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Marcantony wrote:Thank you all for that. Ill make a list in the order you gave me. :)
So I take it that unlike Rifts there are no turkeys in the PF series?

Forgot to ask; is Wolfen empire a reprint of the other wolfen books?

You're very welcome :-)

PF really doesn't have any books that just plain suck. Even the less used ones add some good stuff, and all are outstanding under the right circumstances.

Wolfen Empire is a second edition version of most of the content from the two Northern Wilderness books, however, it is missing the two best adventures, and a couple lesser ones. Wolfen Empire has a couple additions not found in the previous books, but nothing huge.
Sir Blayse
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Sir Blayse »

Definitely High Seas, Western Empire, Eastern Territory, and the Old Ones... Northern Hinterlands is really good also.

Favorite is High Seas though...
I ride for the poor, the sick, the ignorant, and the downtrodden. I fight for good and for the justice of those in need... And I will die with knowledge that I have done all I can and have no regrets!-Sir Blayse
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Monsters and Animals, but even that is not necessary.

I was presented the High Seas Adventures book once, but have since lost it. It was pretty good as I recall.

I never buy source or world books on my own.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”