Shotgun Rounds

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Re: Shotgun Rounds

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Illithid13 wrote:If I had "custom" made shotgun shells with silver buck shot. how much damage would they do to a vampire/normal SDC creature, and how much would you expect them to cost.

I would say the same as a normal Shotgun round. I would just shorten the range a bit.

Similarly, if you had a custom shotgun "shell" made to shoot a short, spiked wooden stake, again, how much damage and the cost for them?

How does 2D6 sound? With a much shorter range of course.

Cost? I'd say 10 times a normal round plus the price of the silver.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Don't bother shortening the range. It does the same damage too. I actually have fired silver rounds form different things just to see if there was a appreciable damage between them and the typical lead/ tin alloy that I usually make bullets out of.
There isn't.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Ronin Shinobi
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Sportsmeister and Mr.Sports of sound off, endorsed by cornholioprime

Unread post by Ronin Shinobi »

Didn't they have damage stats for this or something similar in the Vampire Kingdom book?
Showoff often leads to showdown
Svartalf- Shinobi, You're twisted
Mack- I'm constantly amazed at what people will put their energy into. This planet needs more predators.
Saitou Hajime- What kind of Americian are you?
Shadyslug- Good question
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Ronin Shinobi wrote:Didn't they have damage stats for this or something similar in the Vampire Kingdom book?

Yes.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

silver weapons do double damage to vampires.
so 4D6 to SDC targets. 4D6x2 to vampires and werewolves.
Bad thing about shotguns though is they wont penetrate the rib cage. So you wont be able to shoot the heart.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:silver weapons do double damage to vampires.
Bad thing about shotguns though is they wont penetrate the rib cage. So you wont be able to shoot the heart.

What if you use a silver slug shot not buckshot?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Vrykolas2k
Champion

What!?
Mybe not with bird-shot from a far enough range against heavy clothing, but shot does travel between ribs...
You could also try flechettes, though you'd be doing more damage...

Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

This is correct.

As for the stake thing, I wouldn't allow it with a shotgun. Use a spear gun or a bow if you want to propel wooden sticks.
RoadWarriorFWaNK

Daniel Stoker wrote:What if you use a silver slug shot not buckshot?

5D6 SDC to normal targets, and 5D6x2 to vampires and werewolves. this is all in the rifts book.
RoadWarriorFWaNK

Illithid13 wrote:
RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:Bad thing about shotguns though is they wont penetrate the rib cage. So you wont be able to shoot the heart.

I'm not wanting to go for the heart... :D

too bad you're not. one good chunk of silver in the heart and they drop like a sack of potatoes. shooting them in the head or the ass or the groin or wherever else you're thinking won't do anything extra.

in my opinion, leave the shotgun at home. get yourself a nice sniper rifle, or a high-powered automatic rifle. bust a few silver rounds from an AK-47 and you'll chew vamps up real good.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Illithid13 wrote:If I had "custom" made shotgun shells with silver buck shot. how much damage would they do to a vampire/normal SDC creature, and how much would you expect them to cost.

Read Vampire Kingdoms.

Similarly, if you had a custom shotgun "shell" made to shoot a short, spiked wooden stake, again, how much damage and the cost for them?

If you knew what you were doing, you could make these yourself; just remove the shot and stick a sharpened dowel rod into the shell. They only work in break-open shotguns, though.

The damage? I'd say 4d6 SDC. The range would be something like 10' max. Probably only work for point blank shots.
The cost would be the cost of a dowel rod and the cost of a shotgun shell.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
RoadWarriorFWaNK

actually the book contradicts itself quite regularly. First it says silver weapons do double damage. then it says bullets do regular damage. then it says again that all weapons, including knives, swords, axes, and bullets, do double damage.
wyrmraker
Hero

Re:

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Athos wrote:

This is correct.

As for the stake thing, I wouldn't allow it with a shotgun. Use a spear gun or a bow if you want to propel wooden sticks.

I would allow it, but only as a single-shot weapon. Perhaps a single-shot, or side-by-side weapon, not a repeater. I did the same thing in WoD with a ghoul vamp hunter. He had a sawed-off over-under loaded with 6-inch stake rounds (six inch stakes set into shotgun blank cartridges).
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Wow, that is some intense thread necromancy this thread is over 6 years old!

The rules on silver ammunition are written by someone with very little knowledge of chemistry and who has most likely never fired a gun in their life.

The fact is Silver is slightly lighter and much harder than lead or copper, the two normal materials bullets are normally made of. Because it is lighter and harder it does not conform to the rifling of a barrel or have the weight to ignore atmospheric obstacles that a heavy lead round would ignore (the fact is silver is not that much lighter than lead, its more their inability to play nice with the rifling in the barrel).

In the real world, silver is a crappy metal to use in a bullet, its expensive and anything you would want to do you could do better with copper, lead or stainless steel. However in a fantasy world where silver has significant benefits there are reasons to use silver. In these cases for slugs and bullets you would have a jeweler mill silver rods into bullets and then jacket them in copper, Possibly making the silver rounds hollow and filling the hollow with lead to weigh them down more and to use less silver per capita. In the case of buckshot rounds one would use silver chains from jewelery or silver ball bearings and pack them into shells like normal shotgun rounds. It is also possible to jacket hardwood and weigh it down with lead an make bullets out of, but the accuracy would not be that impressive.

Its important to note that staking vampires using bullets is a pretty silly proposition, you disable the vampire with bullets and then you have a guy covered by your allies run up and stake the vampire, or you shoot them with bullets then bombard them with water sprayers. Consider for a moment that a AK-47 and 100 silver rounds costs around 700 credits and a three round burst from such a weapon would deal 2d6x10 hit points of damage to a vampire. Just aim for body mass and shoot, forget staking and do as much bodily trauma as possible, a vampire only has a few dozen hit points, chances are you are going to put it into negative hit points at which point you can put another round into it and and then have someone stake it.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Elthbert
Hero

Re:

Unread post by Elthbert »

Buck shot will cetianly penetrate the rib cage. 00 buck is a .33 caliber ball there is absolutly no reason it shouldn' be able to hit the heart. Even small bird shot at close range will blow deep into the body, rib cage or not.

Return to “Rifts®”