Cosmo-Knight enhanced sight

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

It's because of their "Cosmic Awareness" that all CK's share.

They are "aware" of their place in space, and where everything is around them, giving them a chance at hitting something that they otherwise would not be able to see.

To simulate the shorter range in an atmosphere, you can say that the presence of all the extra mass of the planet, atmosphere, etc "blinds" them to further items. Something like the amount of back-scatter you see in a hilly area on a weather radar. :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Togashi Johnathan wrote:Also, don't forget that the major blast he is shooting is aimed at a very large space ship. Something on the order of 2-3 thousand feet long and several hundered feet high. Thing a skyscraper laying down. I have poor vision and i think i can see that at 10 miles!

Don't take any large wagers on that point... :D

Just because you might be able to SEE it, does not mean you'll FIND it. All the referents and clues you'd use to find it on the ground are missing...
Is that speck the battleship you want to shoot 10km away, or is it a helmet from some poor sucker only 2-300 metres away?
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Togashi Johnathan wrote:ok, another example then. ever see a jetliner flying in the sky? They are about 500 feet long, about 3 miles away. just take that out furthure and make it about the same size comparativly.

Actually, the 777-300, the current big-boy of the skies, is only 209 feet from nose to tail (and 199 feet across the wings). If it were not for the contrail it leaves behind it as it flies, and the fact it appears as a black speck against a bright blue/white backdrop you'd not be able to see it too well.

A good example for this is the planet Jupiter. It is a naked eye object that the average person can see reasonably well in the night sky. However, even though it "glows" against the black of space, unless you know where it is/should be, you can't find it. (I know, I've tried. :oops: )

Also, a warship is going to go out of it's way to prevent the mark-one eyeball from seeing it too easily, so most navies are going to have their ships painted dark colours/black. I'll go with the CK's infamous Cosmic "Awareness." :D
Fnord

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

gadrin wrote:"mark one eyeball" and "fnord" -- dem's SJG words!

BTW Borast, if you have Rifter #2, check out the "Hammer of the Forge" story.

I'd give them at least a 5 or 10-mile PESA in Gurps Vehicles terms ;)

Mark one eyeball actually pre-dates SJG and GURPS/Car Wars, etc...

Fnord...definately is SJG! (Fnord!)

I have all the Rifters to date (and am planning on renewing my subscription. :D)

PESA? Don't 'member that one...but then, it's been 10+ years... ;)
Fnord

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”