phase world and aliens unlimited....switched at birth?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

phase world and aliens unlimited....switched at birth?

Unread post by bathawk »

Y'know being a Superhero junkie I think I can safley say I have 90% of all super-hero roleplaying games so i think I'm a fairly cognizant of what the genre offers
So unfortunately when I picked up Aliens Unlimited I expected certain staples of the comic bokks to be within like

ultra powerful mega aliens (Kryptonians Martian manhunter ect;)

alien Super teams (Shia'r Imperial guard,Omega men)

galactic defenders (green lantern corp)

you get it, superheroes from space

instead I have multiple animal aliens and a few variants, in fact so many variants that the book is devided into dog pepole, cat pepole, bird pepole ect;

you have to glance at the cover to make sure your not playing after the bomb

now this isn't to say Aliens Unlimited is a bad book, in fact it's probably fairly realistic a far as it's variety, if every other episode of Star Trek has humans finding....humans from space, different types of Cat pepole, Wolf pepole ect; isn't that much of a stretch

But then I pick up the Phase World Books

the Prometheans, ultra powerful aliens

the Invincible guardsmen, an alien race's metahuman militaia

the cosmo-bloody-knights galactic,hyper powerful policemen

is it me? but is phase world a comparitively fantastic palladium superspace universe

I'm trying not to be biased, with the galaxy guide out and atorian empire coming out, it may be that Aliens Unlimited may be spinning out into it's own "sub universe" much like phase world has but other than the pesky SDC to MDC conversion why wouldn't you pick up Palladium's OTHER space background for your Heroes Unlimited adventures?
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Heh - actually, I have been using the Phase world universe as my HU "universe" for a while, and incorporated the Atorians and other AU races/organizations into it.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

I wrote some extra material for Skraypers, throwing in the aliens found in Villains Unlimited and creating a bit more intergalactic politics. I generally have no need for pre-made aliens though.. the fun of creating new species is half the reason why I run space opera games of HU.
8-)

Want some more aliens?
Here is a few for you to check out
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

That is just plain frightning man.. :shock:
Little Sculptures
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

gadrin wrote:question for you HU-ers that use Phase World and SDC in your campaigns:

how did you work the Promethean's ability to Phase damage? (eg, any MDC damage becomes SDC, and SDC damage is cut in half.)

did you make it so all damage done to a Pro is cut in half?

Yep, and I also fiddled around with the MDC values (changed to SDC and generally increased the numbers a bit - especially for some of the ships.)
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

kinda unrelated, but I was a gurps supers pler for 12 years so when I come across in Rifts/heroes unlimited I sometimes try to figure out what they would be comareable to in Gurps supers
for DR regular SDC is divided by 20 rounded down (a sdc of 52 equal to DR:2 (normal hman maximum)

MDC is devvided by 4 and becomes ablative (chips away as damaged, but regenerates like hit points, like MDC works now) so a dragon with 372 MD beome DR: 93

liewise MDC weapons do 4x normal damage, so a Wilks 320 laser pistol does 4d (a 357 magnum I believe does about 3dd, so wilks doing a third more damage seems about right

so as far as the promethenas I would describe their SDC/MDC conversion (a similar ability is found with the psi-slinger in New West): half all damage inflicted that does 99 or less damage for greater damage attacks do the same plus 1pt. for every 100

sogot hit for 42 sdc? your character takes 21pts. of damage, get hit with a 120mm cannon for 232 pts. take 18 pts. (32 divided by 2 plus 2 for the two hundred

sorry if it seems confusing but it seems to wor on my end, hope it helps
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Interesting... Although I understood less than half of that I like the damage estimates.
If I am using advanced or futuristic technology, or very strong supernatural effects in combat, such as a Rifts laser weapon brought into the HU setting, I just give it a fairly high damage rating (equivalent to a heavy laser) and give it a high armor piercing capability, so that it merely needs a basic strike roll and the power of the weapon simply cuts through Hard Armor or Altered physical structures like a hot knife through butter.
Little Sculptures

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”