What is the fuel for nuclear power supplies?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

What is the fuel for nuclear power supplies?

Unread post by slade2501 »

Has anyone heard what fuels these things? Uranium, plutonium, cesium, cobalt?
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: What is the fuel for nuclear power supplies?

Unread post by Grazzik »

slade2501 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:48 pm Has anyone heard what fuels these things? Uranium, plutonium, cesium, cobalt?
In my house rules... a synthetic radioactive fuel called Handwavium. Golden Age super-science captures Handwavium's radiated energy and converts it to power for use in machines and in explosive devices.
WartanThamar
Newb

Unread post by WartanThamar »

The main fuel for nuclear power plants is uranium, specifically a kind called U-235. Plutonium can also be used in some reactors. Cesium and cobalt are not typically used as fuel, but are results of the fission process.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Source Book 4: CS Navy (pg46-7) discusses the CS Nuclear Arsenal. The short answer is that they don't really state what the nuclear-grade material is, only that it is "produced in the power plants of the CS war machines." Most likely the CS is using Uranium or Plutonium in the various nuclear power plants then. However, this may not be the case given some weapons are known to be fusion (which could still require fission weapon to start so back to needing fission fuel likely Uranium or Plutonium since their weapons are derived from US designs).

What OTHER producers use in their reactors could be different, though I would suspect human plants likely are similar though alien/DBee nuclear plants might be different in terms of fuel.

MercOps (pg113) has a fusion power plant, which would suggest some form of hydrogen fuel (most likely, heavier elements and/or mixtures are also possible but more demanding).
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Unread post by slade2501 »

excellent answers, thank you!

Return to “Rifts®”