Magnetic Psionics.

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Slimon386
D-Bee

Magnetic Psionics.

Unread post by Slimon386 »

Im trying to create a psionic similar to bursters and zappers that has control over magnetic fields and need help with ideas for powers and even a possible name.
The powers are as such.

A defense shield again similar to bursters where the psychic pulls minute metal fillings from thier surroundings like minerals from the ground or even stripping the top layer off of like metal, think like scrapping off metal flakes but in a much faster time frame. These would bond together as a second skin, but is sdc unless theyre in a mdc environment or on a ley line.

Making weapons, using thier control to brute force flatten metal into a crude edge thats sdc unless on a ley line or nexus where they can focus the edge to do MD.

the ability to attract or repel metal around them, such as dragging a Dead Boy to them or forcing them away.

A magnetic field that they would need to focus on (-1 or -2 melee attacks per round) that allows them to auto repel metal away from them and even try to repel metal attacks such as railgun rounds (based on the magnetic forcefield from rifter 51)

Sensing magnetic north, sensing large quantities of metal near them (roughly 50-100lbs and more within a area).

A passive ability they have is to be permanently magnetic but on a lesser scale, like nails can get stuck to skin as if theyre a weak magnet, or they can choose to be activaly repellant, the same nails staying a foot away from them. (this is a passive and free ability they can do whenever.)

Possible powers is also the potential to compress about 100 sdc of metal into 1 MD layer of metal as a cheap mdc metal they can make(though its still the weight of 100 sdc metal so itll be real heavy for what your getting)

As for names I was thinking of Ironclads since they can make the skin tight suit of metal but Id love to hear your suggestions.
"I have underestimated your talents Slimon, you have completly shattered all of my expectations. You are in fact beyond a shadow of a doubt the real deal. A Genuine Idiot!"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Magnetic Psionics.

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would not have them turn SDC stuff into MDC stuff just because 'its rifts' and the other two have MDC FF of sorts. They should need to form their protection from MDC magnetic metals. Yes this puts a realistic limitation them that the other two don't have because they deal with energies instead of physical matter.

As to what they should have:
Sense magnetic north
Push or pull magnetic stuff...or to use an analagy for the ideas: Be able to TK magnetic stuff like Magnito can.
(I would not allow them to do this to 'old' DB EBA because it is ceramic.)
Maybe an auto-definse push. But this will not work vs non-magnetic rounds.

You might want to look at Magnetism superability in the HU2 core book before going any further.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Slimon386 wrote:A defense shield again similar to bursters where the psychic pulls minute metal fillings from thier surroundings like minerals from the ground or even stripping the top layer off of like metal, think like scrapping off metal flakes but in a much faster time frame. These would bond together as a second skin, but is sdc unless theyre in a mdc environment or on a ley line.
I largely agree with drewkitty here BUT I THINK IT that it should be a force field of some kind (maybe only offering protection against ferrous materials). You might also want to look into the Magnetic Super-Power(s) and/or Magic Spells for inspiration.

EDIT: in all caps for clarity what I added.
Slimon386 wrote:Making weapons, using thier control to brute force flatten metal into a crude edge thats sdc unless on a ley line or nexus where they can focus the edge to do MD.
I would suggest dropping this as it doesn't make much sense if one is looking at Bursters and Zappers as inspiration. If one has control over magnetism, there are ways to use it offensively:
-could use it in a manner similar to TK: Acceleration Attack (just need ferrous materials)
-compress gases to release a plasma attack (real world Tokomak Fusion Reactor uses magnetic fields to compress hydrogen gas into a plasma)
-Magnetar (real life star type) might also give some ideas given how dangerous these things are (especially to a high tech user). Granted then you'd have to work out how strong a magnetic field the character can generate, which might also put some limitations on the other abilities.
Slimon386 wrote:Possible powers is also the potential to compress about 100 sdc of metal into 1 MD layer of metal as a cheap mdc metal they can make(though its still the weight of 100 sdc metal so itll be real heavy for what your getting)
What would the purpose be here? 100SDC already is equal to 1MDC point, so mechanically you gain nothing here. IINM Mega-Damage materials gain their strength due to organization of their molecular structure (sort of like Graphite and Diamond, both are carbon molecules but organized different resulting in different properties).

It might also be worth point out that not all metals (or materials) are ferrous (ie interact to magnetic fields).
Last edited by ShadowLogan on Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

As a source of an electromagnetic field, some forms of energy/radiation may be deflected without metal.

Consider the damage that could be done by stripping someone of all the elemental iron from their body. In a slow attack, this could induce anemia.

Magnetism may be used to induce electrical current or an EMP to attack tech.

As suggested, look to super powers for equivalent effects.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

ShadowLogan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:58 am
I largely agree with drewkitty here that it should be a force field of some kind (maybe only offering protection against ferrous materials).
I did not say that.
If you are referring to the auto-push power against projectiles, that say that.
The only problem with the auto-push option is that it would deplete the char's ISP quickly...unless the char has that chinese mystic MA with the technique that gives the char 100's of ISP.

It would probibly be better to just give the psychic char class ether the TKFF power of the TK Body FF power.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

One way to get around the auto-push depleting the character's ISP is to do what a few other "auto" psi powers do which would be to pay a permanent cost (see Mind Block Auto Defense or the Rifts DB3 Oni Ninja Techniques which are partially psionic in nature like Automatic Dodge, Aura of Defense and Body Hardening).

I'll edit the text in my initial post to be more clear that the FF is what I disagree with.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”