Casting spells as a Techno-Wizard?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ace, TW
D-Bee

Casting spells as a Techno-Wizard?

Unread post by Ace, TW »

So a Techno-Wizard can cast, let’s say, “Mend the Broken” on a chair and repairs it, but at half power/results because he’s a Techno-Wizard and not a Ley Line Walker.

Or, he could walk over to the tool box and pull out a screwdriver, cast the same incantation, and now it works at full power because he has a repair tool to focus his magic with. Now, be aware, it’s a mundane screwdriver that has NOT been changed into a Techno-Wizard object. It is a regular brand name screwdriver.

The dude is casting spells in real time because, well, still a “-Wizard” after all.

But what about spells that don’t really have an obvious focus like Cloud of Smoke?

Is tossing a handful of dirt into the air good enough for you? I’d allow it personally.

But what about spells like Fear? Or Metamorphosis?
Ace, 10th level Techno Wizard/ 4th level Conjuror extrordinare.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Casting spells as a Techno-Wizard?

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Ace, TW wrote:Or, he could walk over to the tool box and pull out a screwdriver, cast the same incantation, and now it works at full power because he has a repair tool to focus his magic with. Now, be aware, it’s a mundane screwdriver that has NOT been changed into a Techno-Wizard object. It is a regular brand name screwdriver.
I think in this instance I would require the tool(s) to be useful to the job at hand. If fixing a chair, the repairs should require a screwdriver (else it wouldn't be an appropriate focus) and not say a hammer or or wrench.
Ace, TW wrote:But what about spells that don’t really have an obvious focus like Cloud of Smoke?
This topic is something I've considered previous, but never got around to a deep dive.

As for Cloud of Smoke, I'd probably require some type of flame device (it makes smoke after all) or aerosol can (it sprays material into the air) or perhaps a bubble ring (for blowing bubbles, only in this case it would do smoke).
Ace, TW wrote:But what about spells like Fear? Or Metamorphosis?
Metamorphosis might be one of those spells I wouldn't allow a tech focus to exist. I want to be cheesy and say require a transformable toy (acting as a sort of "voodoo doll") that transformed between one organic form and another (one of which should be analogous to their natural form) but I'm not sure it would/should work like that.

As for Fear that is probably a bit easier with things that should register as be afraid. So, anything with hazardous warning signs or maybe even "monster" representations (statues, figures, toy reps) or other things that could reasonably instill fear (if equipment had a HF rating already...)
AceTW
D-Bee

Unread post by AceTW »

I gave metamorphosis some thought already.

Women's makeup compact? What about clay?

I guess if I think hard enough, I could probably come up with something. What I want help with is identifying spells that are almost impossible to find a focus for. That way I can give it some forethought.

I'm new to GM'ing and have a new player trying out a TW so I want to be able to help him if I can,
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

AceTW wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:08 pm I gave metamorphosis some thought already.

Women's makeup compact? What about clay?

I guess if I think hard enough, I could probably come up with something. What I want help with is identifying spells that are almost impossible to find a focus for. That way I can give it some forethought.

I'm new to GM'ing and have a new player trying out a TW so I want to be able to help him if I can,
When all else fails, you pull out your Swiss army knife.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Some people see it is any tech item that lets the TW cast a spell at full Str. while at the other end of the spectrum: others take that the descriptive text is referring to a prepared TW magic item cast a (any) spell at full str.
I for one don't see that a TW could just pull out any tech item "to use as a focus" to cast spells at full str, because it very much reduces the limitation to an avoidable inconvenience. instead of a real limitation.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Cloud of Smoke? Corn cob pipe...
AceTW
D-Bee

Unread post by AceTW »

The 1/2 power limitation was a hard limit in the old RMB for sure.

But the description in the RUE book makes it very clear that the TW got a bump in utility in the new edition with there now being a work around for the 1/2 power casting. But only if the TW could find and use an appropriate focus relevant to the type of spell being cast. It definitely could be an unenchanted and mundane object. But even enchanted items work too.

"That device could be a C- I8 Laser Pistol or an ordinary revolver, or one of his own, weird devices."
"...temporary conduit..."
"... the device is as non-magical as it was before
casting the spell..."

Those of us who insist that the focus is a prepared and modified item like those listed in the books with names like "Iceblast Shotgun" or "TK Machinegun" are just, well, wrong.

A techno-Wizard can pick up a rock off the ground and use it to cast the level two spell "Throwing Stones" at full power, in the Ultimate Edition rules.

Of course anyone can retcon it back the old way from the Original Rifts Main Book if they want to where a TW is always casting at half power unless using a TW modified device.
jannickz
Newb

Unread post by jannickz »

As you mentioned, using a tool as a conduit focuses the Techno-Wizard's magic, allowing them to cast spells at full power. The tool acts as a channel and amplifier for their techno-magical energy. Techno-Wizards might favor tools that have a technological bent. Imagine a sonic screwdriver for "Mend the Broken," or a miniaturized EMP device for a "Disrupt Device" spell.
Aermas
Explorer
Comment: There are two kinds of people in this world, those who quote people, & those who people quote

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

The tool needs to make some kind of cognizant communitive coherence. A fog machine for cloud spells, or even just some sort of machine/tool that could potentially generate smoke/mist like an oven.

As for fear, I'd use a flashlight under the chin because the subconscious resonance that EVERYONE tells scary stories like that. Any blast spell can be shot out of a gun within reason, but carpet of adhesion requires a squirter gun or some other glue or liquid nozzle type tool. Darkness could be squirting an old ink pen or using a "dark" flashlight. Its all about the idea behind the spell & the platonic concepts relating to the focus object. A chainsaw can be used to open a Rift because chainsaws cut. A gun might be able to do similar if it's funky enough in design to be able to reasonable accept it can shoot holes in reality, but a normal six shooter probably wouldn't be okay by me personally
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Ace, TW wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:10 pm But what about spells that don’t really have an obvious focus like Cloud of Smoke?

Is tossing a handful of dirt into the air good enough for you? I’d allow it personally.

But what about spells like Fear? Or Metamorphosis?
Techno-Wizards need a "mechanical device," so dirt wouldn't work in canon.

A smoke grenade, on the other hand, would probably work just fine for casting Cloud of Smoke, without pulling the pin or activating it mechanically.
A vape pen, for that matter, might work as long as the GM wasn't too picky about the differences between "smoke" and "vapor."
A cigarette wouldn't work, because it's not a mechanical device.
A zippo might work, because it is a mechanical device.
A car's exhaust system, perhaps.
A furnace, gas grill, or other mechanical flame-producing gizmo.

For a spell like Fear?
Might be able to use any music-producing mechanical device; play spooky music, people get terrified.
A Jack-In-The-Box might work as well.

Metamorphosis? Might depend on what you're trying to metamorphose into.
A puppet or other poseable figurine of the target critter might work.
Or a "What would you look like as a Dragon" app or whatever.

Really, a cell phone or the Rifts equivalent might work for a lot of this stuff
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Rifts®”