The Spell Ley Line Transmission

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

The Spell Ley Line Transmission

Unread post by darthauthor »

The Spell Ley Line Transmission from the Rifts Ultimate Edition page 205

So the point of the spell is a one way voice communication.
So I guess a 1 way radio.

But it only works near a ley line or nexus.

Question 1:
So I want to know / establish, "DO LEY LINES BLOCK RADIO MESSAGES?"

A radio beats this spell (at least within the 5 mile range).
The only reasons I can think of someonen using this spell includes:
1. Your battery ran out.
2. Fear of Electronic Countermeasures (eves drop, jam, location give away)
3. Don't have working radio.
4. Or Radios just don't work near Ley Lines (Signals can't cross the line?).

P.P.E. cost is 30

Good News is the only place you can use it is a P.P.E. limitless supply (the Ley Line).
So if I'm a mage, I can store up P.P.E. and use it to cast the spell without touching my base supply of P.P.E.

Question #2:
Does the word count of the message go up because of the Boost to magic a Ley Line (or Nexus) does?
Last edited by darthauthor on Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: The Spell Ley Line Transmission

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

1. I'm not sure.

2. I would say NO, the spell is designed to only work at a Ley Line/Nexus so it would make sense to just present the stats as operating at a Ley Line/Nexus.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

I'm not sure why the description of this spell makes you think that ley-lines block radio messages. I don't see anything that would hint at that at all. It doesn't even mention radios.

The message can reach one or more recipients anywhere on the ley-line, which could run for hundreds of miles. Seems like its advantage is pretty clear. It is for sending messages along on a ley-line, especially long-distances. Radios are for other things.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
darthauthor
Hero

Question:
"So the entire point of the spell is RANGE?"

Everything the spell does can be accomplished and surpassed with long range radios?
Radios that are NOT restricted to a Ley Line.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Well, I guess it depends on perspective. I don't think that the point of any spell is to be better than a particular piece of technology at doing exactly what that technology was designed to do. If that is your perspective, then it will always come up lacking.

One of the greatest advantages for any spell is that you don't need anything but a few words to make stuff happen. The problem with any item that performs a function is that, well, you need that item to do it.

The value of this particular spell is also dependant on environment: in our modern world, with ubiquitous long-range communication and few ley-lines, it's use is quite limited. In Rifts, with difficulties in long-range communication, but where ley-lines are plentiful and well-known, it can be very useful. On the Palladium World, it would be incredible!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Q1: depends on the storyline the GM is presenting.

Q2: on a LL: no, that is a pre-req for using the spell. on a LLN: there is no text saying so. GM choice for a house rule.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
NeerMohan
Newb

Unread post by NeerMohan »

Ley Lines & Radio Waves:
Radio trumps Spell: You got it. Radios win for normal communication within 5 miles.

Spell's niche: Yep - dead battery, paranoia, or broken radio are its uses. Ley Lines likely don't block radio (established tech), but offer a secure, alternative option.

Spell Boost & Message Length:
Unclear. Rifts doesn't explicitly say if Ley Line boosts message length. Probably not, as the spell focuses on communication, not enhanced power.
darthauthor
Hero

Makes me think about technology in Rifts Earth.

The two most relatable areas of focus being daily living and combat.

Daily living:
Drinkable Water
Food
adequate heat
clothing
Shelter from elements and wild-life
medical (preventative followed by treatment)
waste management.
Lighting
communications
These seem like the essentials. They can be given without the tough exercise and study of becoming a mage or mystic or psychic. They operate in or out of a ley line's area of effect and without P.P.E. They don't depend on a mage being around to dole it out. No one need be beholdant to a mage to supply them. Some are as simples as wearing clothes and boots. They are reliable and constant until worn out or used up.

Magic may do these things better quality wise but their either depend upon a mage or TW (gems are expensive) or a ley line.

For the average human, the simple tech is good enough. It frees them from the dependence on a mage. Saves the mage P.P.E. in casting. Means they can live away from a ley line and the "whatever" it attracts.

To get next level on the everyday stuff requires refined materials, mass production, and machine quality/efficency.
Between the Merc books and everything there are:
5 gallon water collectors
Farming tools (tractor, etc)
Heaters (dependent on fuel/power)
Durable weather appropriate clothing.
Housing and walls.
Body Fixers/Cyber-Docs
Recycle / Salvage
Battery Lighting with 100 year light bulbs
Phones and Radios

Technology has a lot to offer
Advantages without the micro management / exhaustive spell casting

When I look at it like that, in day to day living, the CS nation works.

Military wise:
Mega Damage armor is Armor of Ithan without the spell. It's constant. Costs no P.P.E. It's just expensive.
Energy Rifles/pistols are Fire Bolt / Energy Bolt spells for everyone. take some skill to shoot. The E-clips run out.

Depending on the way a war is waged (history tells us most wars are won/lost by attrition) the win will be the one the best numbers, ruthlessness, and willingness to sacrifice (their own people, the innocent on both sides, etc).

Depending on the Base Magic vs the Base Technology, the learning curve, availablity of power sources and materials should determine who win the race.
On Rifts Earth, the Ley Lines, as long as they are a convenient 24/7 unlimited power source, unbalance the equation in favor of Magic.

Special circumstances would have to exist to even out the warfare:
The magic users are at war with each other.
The tech is super Sky-Net stuff.
The guys using tech outnumber the magic users 10 to 1.
Whoever has the advantages of terrain/battlefield conditions.

Basically, there are too many variable in an every day combat fight.

Only under a Ley Lines area of influence does Magic warfar trump Tech warfare.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

essentials....do not include communications. Danial Boon moved away from his cabin because of new comers that set up their cabin two valleys away.
Yes, to people living in modern-day tech saturated society having some means of communications seams essential. but it is not. Just like having electricity seams to be essential, but isn't. For most of history humans did not have electricity.

I would suggest that keeping clean (cleanse spell) would rank more essential than just communicating with someone miles away.

The top three physical essential items are air, water & Food. In that order. Which 66% of them are at the top of the list presented.
The only one in the 'daily essentials' list that does not have a common magic spell to provide the essential is 'waste management'.

When considering the physical needs of people.... Communications is more a "Combat" item than 'Everyday Essentials' item.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
darthauthor
Hero

Hi Drewkitty,

I admit I knew about air and sort of took it for granted.
Still you are correct about AIR.

I acknowledge you are historically and scientifically correct about electricity.
Humans are, however, social beings.
Although, we don't NEED radios to communicate, we do need engagement.

Your response, although not comprehesive, is accurate.
Good job.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”