Law of Armed Conflict in Rifts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

desrocfc
Explorer
Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.

Law of Armed Conflict in Rifts

Unread post by desrocfc »

GM Field Guide: Law of Armed Conflict (LOAC) in Rifts. A complicated issue that is touched upon often enough, I thought I’d provide some context for discussion. Something most people are not well versed in, they often don't know what they don't know. LOAC has a deep history across various cultures, influenced by worldview changes over the centuries. Covering our modern norms, the Principle of LOAC, and the modern compliance model we use to enforce them, this article attempts to demonstrate how you could begin to apply some of this heady topic to game play.

It’s a “scratch the surface” kind of post meant to cultivate a (necessarily mature) discussion. I'm no legal scholar in this subject, but it is an integral part of my military tradecraft, so I have some exposure.

Given the vast differences in our modern setting and that of Rifts, how much LOAC are you applying to your campaigns? A fair answer is slim to none, I’ll understand, LOL. This is most definitely not an element "high on the list" the majority of GMs are looking to exploit. That said, it can give you some options for adventure ideas and plot twists.

Full review at the link. Please Like and Subscribe!

https://www.scholarlyadventures.com/pos ... t-in-rifts

Cheers!
Francois DesRochers

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: Law of Armed Conflict in Rifts

Unread post by Grazzik »

I'm surprised the post didn't make any attempt to consider the Code of the Cyber-Knights and the impact that might have on how conflict is prosecuted by forces under their control or by state actors that may use them as a moral yardstick. This is an important element, as the vast majority of worldbuilding in the books suggests, and indeed at times emphasizes, no restraint on the part of actors in a conflict. Dig a little deeper and on WB16r pg 11 there is a reference to the fledgling Chi-Town using child soldiers against demons and mages in 12PA (though it may be just artistic flourish by the writer). The dramatic description of that battle, as well as those in other books (WB10, SoT, etc.), are intentionally described as lacking any LOAC. This suggests that in the very short 300 years since the Cataclysm, there has not been sufficient time for customary law beyond personal codes of conduct (which may be forcibly overridden by rules of engagement as seen in SoT) to be established. That said, it would not be unheard of for there to be treaties between smaller kingdoms or communities lacking a military juggernaut the size of the CS that perhaps resolved border disputes and the like, such as the exchange of prisoners for ransom, transfer of land/assets, etc. However, such treaties likely did nothing to regulate the prosecution of any future conflict.

A rare exception - in WB31, we see that there are treaties between the NGR and DBee communities re the ongoing operation of border militia and it touches on the conduct or limitations of mercenary forces, particularly wrt DBee mercs, within NGR borders. In all practically, it could be very conceivable that local CS commanders would have similar arrangements with DBee communities on their borders as long as it was politically expedient and in the interest of the State... until it wasn't. That lack of persistent trust would ordinarily be a problem, except that the nature of Rifts Earth is such that, outside a select few power blocs, an independent community is unlikely to persist beyond a limited timeframe anyway. Other nations, such as NG or MI, probably look at the projection and regulation of force as more of a commercial activity once security is assured. Regulating the conduct of their own troops helps to secure goodwill with potential future customers or partners, promote the quality of their wares by elevating combat technically, and reduce the economic uncertainty of operating in conflict zones.
desrocfc
Explorer
Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.

Unread post by desrocfc »

Grazzik wrote:I'm surprised the post didn't make any attempt to consider the Code of the Cyber-Knights and the impact that might have on how conflict is prosecuted by forces under their control or by state actors that may use them as a moral yardstick. This is an important element, as the vast majority of worldbuilding in the books suggests, and indeed at times emphasizes, no restraint on the part of actors in a conflict. <snip>

There are a (**HUGE**) multitude of facets to examine, and this just scratched the surface. You are correct though, the CK moral compass used to be that "modern sensibilities" guidepost, which has seen some tarnishing and evolution since SoT. It's a blog post topic in and of itself, for sure. A lot of that comes down to worldview dynamics, perspective, and what "brand of morality" the GM/PCs are willing to buy into. Not something likely replicated from one table to the next.

The other aspects of your reply also leads to another blog post I'm cooking, the economy of NA and how security requirement buttresses trade. Waterways are vital, ergo discussion on CSN, NG Navy, FQ Navy, Lazlo Navy?, human pirates, various D-Bee factions, Atlantis, Naut'Yll, Horune, etc. Air routes require security, ergo what does this look like? Land routes: what does that NG hovertrain actually project for security, or is it entirely integral? Does it depend on destination? Lastly, what does it look like internal to the CS Chi-Town borders, between all those armoured cities with millions of humans outside of Chi-town proper? Lots to discuss.

Cheers!
Francois DesRochers

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

desrocfc wrote:
Grazzik wrote:I'm surprised the post didn't make any attempt to consider the Code of the Cyber-Knights and the impact that might have on how conflict is prosecuted by forces under their control or by state actors that may use them as a moral yardstick. This is an important element, as the vast majority of worldbuilding in the books suggests, and indeed at times emphasizes, no restraint on the part of actors in a conflict. <snip>

There are a (**HUGE**) multitude of facets to examine, and this just scratched the surface. You are correct though, the CK moral compass used to be that "modern sensibilities" guidepost, which has seen some tarnishing and evolution since SoT. It's a blog post topic in and of itself, for sure. A lot of that comes down to worldview dynamics, perspective, and what "brand of morality" the GM/PCs are willing to buy into. Not something likely replicated from one table to the next.

The other aspects of your reply also leads to another blog post I'm cooking, the economy of NA and how security requirement buttresses trade. Waterways are vital, ergo discussion on CSN, NG Navy, FQ Navy, Lazlo Navy?, human pirates, various D-Bee factions, Atlantis, Naut'Yll, Horune, etc. Air routes require security, ergo what does this look like? Land routes: what does that NG hovertrain actually project for security, or is it entirely integral? Does it depend on destination? Lastly, what does it look like internal to the CS Chi-Town borders, between all those armoured cities with millions of humans outside of Chi-town proper? Lots to discuss.

Cheers!

Looking forward to them :ok:

Return to “Rifts®”