Issue with Garden of the Gods

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Re: Issue with Garden of the Gods

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, to be honest, I didn't even read that book fully. It was not interesting.

-Vek
"But I bought it, at least!"
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Smiling_Bandit wrote:Fair enough. I figure it might behoove them to make a note to fix it in future editions.

More likely it will be copy pasted into other things :D

And i bought it too and and put it into my game as I like the idea of bringing back forgotten gods.
Goblin-Jack
Explorer

Unread post by Goblin-Jack »

Smiling_Bandit wrote:Fair enough. I figure it might behoove them to make a note to fix it in future editions.

Smiling_Bandit - Has in's with a lot of deities, some of them don't even realize it

It's good to bring these typos up, but I think it's best if you put it into a helpdesk message (https://www.palladiumbooks.com/helpdesk); that way it will go directly to Wayne and/or Kevin and they can modify the manuscript directly. I love Garden of the Gods, and appreciate seeing someone bringing up a point that I completely missed, so thanks for starting this thread!
"Wujcik rules!!!"
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Veknironth wrote:...It was not interesting.

That really was the issue with that book. So much more could have been done were it a bit grittier. A few of the statue descriptions were creative, like Vyl and Ginja, but most of those ~75 pages were unimaginative tropes and we had enough of those in Dragons and Gods and CB2 Pantheons. Another ~20 pages of miracles and blessings that boil down to "From on high, I cast a modified spell upon thee", while only 2 pages are given to fading gods and their rebirth... the stuff of struggle and lost myth.

It lacked tension to build into good adventure. What? No detailed description of a town that bilks missionaries and pilgrims? No street feuds between cults who worship what they think are different gods, but is the same god? No mass sacrifices to dark gods unleashing enormous amounts of PPE that might be siphoned off by a god quite literally hiding in the bushes for eons?

Oh, and couldn't the Garden be defended by something other than faerie folk? I hate Faeries with a passion, but that's my issue for me to deal with. And again with an order of knights... warrior monks or tectonic entities that double by sweeping up trash could have worked better.

Though I did like having background on Wolfen, Orc and Goblin gods which gives these loot pinatas a spin that makes them a bit more interesting.

By the way, Smiling_Bandit, I'll trade you an extra t on page 20 for your missing l - "...thought they may fly over it."
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I have emailed Kevin and Sean directly about this.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Veknironth wrote:Well, to be honest, I didn't even read that book fully. It was not interesting.

I thought it was a decent enough book (not finished it yet though). Lot's of stuff which is optional and that optionality is always good for GM's. I like gods but often worlds can be overpopulated with them.
I would've rather the location was left up to the GM and the surrounding places weren't needed. It was the gods and religious stuff that was interesting more so than the actual garden.

Maybe a book of interesting locations that can be placed by the GM's would be neat (ice palace, cloud castle of a Jinn, wizards tower, dwarven underground, shadow realm domain, haunted wood etc etc - only much much more inspired and unique) :)
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”