Manistique Imperium products

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Soldier of Od
Hero

Manistique Imperium products

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Hi all. Can anyone tell me what Manistique manufactured products exist/have been statted out in the books? Not Wellington Industries stuff, but specifically Manistique Imperium branded products. So far I have found only three:
MI-3000 Firefly hovercycle
MI-1010 Desert Fox hovercycle
MI Vaqueros body armour

Are there any more?
Thanks.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
SolCannibal
Champion

Re: Manistique Imperium products

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Mus admit that i never gave the subject much thought - mostly went with the Imperium having big shares of Wellington and Wilks plus knock-offs of a number of gee-gaws in RMB most of time.

But must admit that since the adventure with Larkent in Merctown i've felt the lack of some book giving more attention to this nation that has been around since the begining of the game. But then the same could be said to a much greater and embarassing degree of Lazlo and New Lazlo, i guess.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

While I don't have a complete collection of Rifts books, the ones I do have result in the same list. It should be noted that it's possible that MI produces knockoffs of other producers that would have slipped by my search. I know there are examples of producer/power-block A "knocking off" producer/power-block B's design (several examples I can point to H-Brand in Japan, a few powers in SA knock off Arkhons IIRC, Northern Gun and Blackmarket do the CS).
SolCannibal
Champion

ShadowLogan wrote:While I don't have a complete collection of Rifts books, the ones I do have result in the same list. It should be noted that it's possible that MI produces knockoffs of other producers that would have slipped by my search. I know there are examples of producer/power-block A "knocking off" producer/power-block B's design (several examples I can point to H-Brand in Japan, a few powers in SA knock off Arkhons IIRC, Northern Gun and Blackmarket do the CS).

Now i'm getting half-tempted to a search of sorts on what info we have on Manistique in general throughout the books - try to get an idea of how have they evolved/grown (or not) in the years since their initial presentation as Northern Gun's less popular neighbour/sibling back in RMB.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

SolCannibal wrote:Now i'm getting half-tempted to a search of sorts on what info we have on Manistique in general throughout the books - try to get an idea of how have they evolved/grown (or not) in the years since their initial presentation as Northern Gun's less popular neighbour/sibling back in RMB.

I admit that could be interesting.

What I've always found odd was the CS alliance with MI starting in WB11 (CWC) given the description in RMB though RUE seems to have removed some of the more troubling bits. Now its possible there was a dramatic demographic shift between RMB and WB11 on the timeline that doesn't get mentioned, but per RMB MI was:
-on good standing with Lazlo (I would have thought this would be a trouble spot)
-has 30% D-Bee/Mutoids population (out of a population of ~700,000), RUE changed this to pure D-Bee (mutoid = mutant?, if so that would have included Mind Melters, Psi-Stalkers, and other psyshics from the CS POV, RUE seperates out the Psi-Stalkers at 8%). Though given other books (NGR, Columbia) this might not be the trouble spot I'm thinking it should be.
-has a "loyal community of Techno-Wizards" (referenced dropped in RUE, possibly driven out?)
-they also have full bionic conversion capabilities, but philosophically they limit themselves (this would suggest generic Bionic products could be considered MI in origin)
-they are "armed with a fair number of robot and hover vehicles, energy weapons, rail guns, power armor", it isn't clear if these are home grown products or imports based on the text in RMB (dropped in RUE).

A tid bit in RUE (pg30) in the Upper Michigan section would seem to suggest that Manistique Imperium is the government with Wellington Industries being the manufacturer, much like NGR and Triax relationship or Ishpeming and NGR. Though I suppose its possible that MI has more than one manufacturing company operating within its boarders, or Wellington and MI specific products (mentioned previously) are the same company just different "divisions" for marketing purposes (like Wilks and CFT in-universe)
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

from Merc Ops- "For decades the industrialized Manistique Imperium had focused on producing all-purpose vehicles, parts and adventuring
gear, along with weapon knock-offs sold mainly to the Black
Market."

i don't think they make many uniquely branded items, but instead produce generic items like general cars and and gear for climbing and other things that don't get any real attention in the books. plus side you can grab just about any other palladium setting's book and pull a list of gear from those you'd find there.
SolCannibal
Champion

ShadowLogan wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Now i'm getting half-tempted to a search of sorts on what info we have on Manistique in general throughout the books - try to get an idea of how have they evolved/grown (or not) in the years since their initial presentation as Northern Gun's less popular neighbour/sibling back in RMB.

I admit that could be interesting.

Might give it a try after i at least clean up and polish my Czechslovakia entry on the Where the Weird Things Are topic, that i have been for far too long without updating decently.

Return to “Rifts®”