Science based teleportation

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Science based teleportation

Unread post by rem1093 »

Is there anything official about the use of non magic teleportation? Was looking at a way of using it in our new transport.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Science based teleportation

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

rem1093 wrote:Is there anything official about the use of non magic teleportation? Was looking at a way of using it in our new transport.

One of the TMNT books had transmats in it. I don't remember how much detail there is, but you might get some ideas.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Aliens Unlimited: Galaxy Guide page 159-161.
Point to Point Travel

TMNT and RT stuff are not official anymore.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

The Manhunter supplement had matrans as a spacecraft equipment option; pg. 168.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

taalismn wrote:The Manhunter supplement had matrans as a spacecraft equipment option; pg. 168.

Yeah, but that one's WAAAAAAAAAAAY off the official canon path...
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

the megaversal legion has technological interdimensional teleportation as I recall. given it doesn't say that it randomly dumps you off in the middle of nowhere in outer space, I can only presume it is pretty accurate and as such ought to be able to get you to pretty much anywhere in a minimum of 2 steps (possibly 1, but I don't recall it ever being explicitly stated that you can go anywhere in the same universe, so you might need to first go to another universe and only then go to your desired target in the current one).
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Shark_Force wrote:the megaversal legion has technological interdimensional teleportation as I recall. given it doesn't say that it randomly dumps you off in the middle of nowhere in outer space, I can only presume it is pretty accurate and as such ought to be able to get you to pretty much anywhere in a minimum of 2 steps (possibly 1, but I don't recall it ever being explicitly stated that you can go anywhere in the same universe, so you might need to first go to another universe and only then go to your desired target in the current one).

I just read it, and its extremely vague. The general gist of it, however, seems to be that it works like magic dimensional travel does (and it can even accept incoming travelers from Pyramids and Rifts, one of the few things explicitly stated, as well as its size (bigger than a football field).

It might also simply BE magic - the Legion has no idea how it works, and the Dakir (who i assume we'd have heard more about had CJ not been shown the door) are basically the most advanced tech we've seen in print short of the Dominators, so maybe it IS some kind of Technowizardry.

The only other tech based dimensional travel we even hear about in Rifts is that the US Government was experimenting with that at the Lone Star Complex, and that the one time Bradford dared even turn the thing on, it caused all sorts of mayhem.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

rem1093 wrote:Is there anything official about the use of non magic teleportation? Was looking at a way of using it in our new transport.

Rifts Japan (4 Pre-Rifts Cities ended up the subject of a teleportation experiment)
Rifts Dinosaur Swamp (Pre-Rifts Experiment at/near the Cape)
Rifts Lonestar IIRC mentions a Dimensional Rifts Generator located at the complex.
A few D-Bee races (Vernulian and Kremin Cyborgs for ex.) also mention Dimension Rift Technology.

Given that Rifts can be used for inter-dimensional travel OR intra-dimensional travel in magic, knowledge of one type most likely means they could have the other type to which is why I bring those specific examples up.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Its worth noting that the Japanese effort was explicitly called out as tech that manipulated the power of Ley Lines/PPE, so it lends a lot of credence to "dimensional travel is always magic", even if it is just magic stimulated/controlled by technology.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

Thanks guys Ill look into those. What I want to do is have one pad to be the floor of the cargo hold of our transport, that would teleport to other pads, that are also on the transport. The second pads would be in sealed boxes that are 1/10 the size of the hold.
zexsis
D-Bee

Unread post by zexsis »

rem1093 wrote:Thanks guys Ill look into those. What I want to do is have one pad to be the floor of the cargo hold of our transport, that would teleport to other pads, that are also on the transport. The second pads would be in sealed boxes that are 1/10 the size of the hold.

The uteni from naruni enterpres use technology that is equally powerful to magic as stated in anvil galaxy. So theoretically any spell could be a technological item as well.
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Aliens Unlimited: Galaxy Guide page 159-161.
Point to Point Travel

TMNT and RT stuff are not official anymore.

Who cares if it's still owned by Palladium? It's still the same system and a good reference for players to use for things. Official or not, it's all homebrew.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

rem1093 wrote:Thanks guys Ill look into those. What I want to do is have one pad to be the floor of the cargo hold of our transport, that would teleport to other pads, that are also on the transport. The second pads would be in sealed boxes that are 1/10 the size of the hold.

Might I suggest an alternative, treat each pad as as a box (top/sides can be removed) that can just move about via elevator/train tracks (ie turbo-lift style) at high speed. That would seem to be more in line with the tech of Rifts Earth (without invoking magic), a D-Bee/alien race's tech of course doesn't have to follow this limit.
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

ShadowLogan wrote:

Might I suggest an alternative, treat each pad as as a box (top/sides can be removed) that can just move about via elevator/train tracks (ie turbo-lift style) at high speed. That would seem to be more in line with the tech of Rifts Earth (without invoking magic), a D-Bee/alien race's tech of course doesn't have to follow this limit.

Thar will not work. The transport is 35' long, 12' wide, and 13' high so there is nowhere for them to move to. Using both teleportation and reduction in size, would allow for different platforms/rooms to be stored in the transport.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

Depends how realistic you want it to be?
Olympus duology by Simmons called it faxing, but it literally disintegrated you and re-created you on other end.
Transmats in Doctor Who.
Transporters in Trek where you are conscious throughout the entire journey

Return to “Rifts®”