Can spells be used as a defensive action like parry or dodge

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jburkett
Wanderer

Can spells be used as a defensive action like parry or dodge

Unread post by jburkett »

hello, I am relatively new to Rifts magic and the game mechanics for spell casting. My question is can: is there an instance where a spell caster can use a spell as a defensive action? For example: You are attacked with someone casting Fire Bolt (or an energy weapon). Can a player cast Armor of Ithan or some other spell as a defensive action (like they would a parry or dodge) or would they have needed to cast Armor of Ithan prior to the attack for it to be effective? I ask this only because I am comparing this to other game systems (like D&D 5e) where I believe spells can be cast as a reaction (defensively) to incoming attacks. If you can point me in the direction of a written rule for this or if you have a set of House Rules that you use that you find effective to allow this, I would be appreciative. I understand that this is, most likely, going to be a House Rule. Thanks in advance!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Can spells be used as a defensive action like parry or d

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The same question arises with Psychics, and per the Telekinetic Force Field Power: Yes they can.

It should be noted the only way a mage could cast a spell as a defensive action (non-automatic parry, so it would use an action) is if the spell was low level enough they could get it off in time
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

ShadowLogan wrote:The same question arises with Psychics, and per the Telekinetic Force Field Power: Yes they can.

It should be noted the only way a mage could cast a spell as a defensive action (non-automatic parry, so it would use an action) is if the spell was low level enough they could get it off in time

I have heard this cited enough times that I use it in my games all the time. I have also seen it used in many other games as well.
I am not sure if it is a very widely used house rule, or if there is actually some sort of canon rule on it. If there is a canon rule I could not begin to tell you where to go to find the citation on it.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
jburkett
Wanderer

Okay, thanks for the info. So, I guess the question remains. If I cast Armor of Ithan in defense of an incoming energy blast (or Fire Bolt, etc.) would it automatically absorb the damage or would I need to make some kind of Parry roll (against the attacker's strike roll or the spell casters spell strength) to see if it "powers up" in time. Again, I understand that this is all House Rule stuff. I am just looking for suggestions about how to handle this. Thanks!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

jburkett wrote:Okay, thanks for the info. So, I guess the question remains. If I cast Armor of Ithan in defense of an incoming energy blast (or Fire Bolt, etc.) would it automatically absorb the damage or would I need to make some kind of Parry roll (against the attacker's strike roll or the spell casters spell strength) to see if it "powers up" in time. Again, I understand that this is all House Rule stuff. I am just looking for suggestions about how to handle this. Thanks!

In my games? I would let you make a 'magic parry' (I would use spell strength and your IQ read on the PP line as the bonuses to the parry roll). If you succeed you get the spell up in time, and it will then be able to protect. If you fail, then you will take the hit first, and then you will need to roll to avoid losing concentration due to damage.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
jburkett
Wanderer

eliakon wrote:
jburkett wrote:Okay, thanks for the info. So, I guess the question remains. If I cast Armor of Ithan in defense of an incoming energy blast (or Fire Bolt, etc.) would it automatically absorb the damage or would I need to make some kind of Parry roll (against the attacker's strike roll or the spell casters spell strength) to see if it "powers up" in time. Again, I understand that this is all House Rule stuff. I am just looking for suggestions about how to handle this. Thanks!

In my games? I would let you make a 'magic parry' (I would use spell strength and your IQ read on the PP line as the bonuses to the parry roll). If you succeed you get the spell up in time, and it will then be able to protect. If you fail, then you will take the hit first, and then you will need to roll to avoid losing concentration due to damage.

Cool, that seems like a good house rule. Thanks!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Canonically I wouldn't allow it except where it explicitly notes being able to do so on the spell. As a house rule, I like the ideo of the D20 roll to see if you get it up in time. Shouldn't be automatic though, should cost at least the standard amount, and should also take the place of a usual defense like a parry or dodge.

Return to “Rifts®”