Livestock on Rifts Earth

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Livestock on Rifts Earth

Unread post by 13eowulf »

So according to New West and Adventures in Dinosaur Swamp the Tri-Tops can be herded like cattle, even by normal people.
The descriptions also go on to state that the meat is good and plentiful, they make even tempered beasts of burden/mounts, and a single female can produce gallons of milk a day (New West specifically for the Milk). They can also be used to make MD leather, and even armour, possibly even some simple melee weapons.
(Aside: Would you say their eggs are edible as well?)

What other beasts have you come across in Rifts books that would make for great livestock of some sort?

Second question, if you could make a single breeding pair of livestock immortal, but still fertile, and keep them breeding for an endless supply of meat animals, like say sheep, for lamb (and an endless supply of wool), would that be immoral, or against good alignments?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
andyskyhawk
D-Bee
Comment: Courage is not the absence of fear. It is being scared sh**less but saddling up anyway.

Re: Livestock on Rifts Earth

Unread post by andyskyhawk »

Interesting... I cant see why using the breading pair would be evil, maybe slightly immoral in our day and time. However in the world of rifts people are required to do anything for survival. What you describe is an affordable and renewable source of food for a population, protecting people from starvation is a huge check mark on the list of ensuring survival for any population. Especially when day to day life is a life and death struggle for the average person. IMO a scrupulous scientist would have no problem genetically engineering some livestock to aide a community, although I am unaware of any skills that would allow such a character the means to do it.

Btw, really cool idea!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Fury Beetle is identified as such in Rifts Cananda, complete with ranch.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

Only immoral if the livestock is sapient and sentient, i.e. human(oid) cattle, which you might see for some monstrous/demonic beings and in Splugorth held areas like Atlantis.

Also, I did catch the Milk thing in New West and always thought it odd as I didn't think dinosaurs produced milk. Then again perhaps these are from an alternate dimension/timeline with more mammal like dinos and not straight out of the cretaceous period we know and love. Mmm dino milk yummy!
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

13eowulf wrote:So according to New West and Adventures in Dinosaur Swamp the Tri-Tops can be herded like cattle, even by normal people.
The descriptions also go on to state that the meat is good and plentiful, they make even tempered beasts of burden/mounts, and a single female can produce gallons of milk a day (New West specifically for the Milk). They can also be used to make MD leather, and even armour, possibly even some simple melee weapons.
(Aside: Would you say their eggs are edible as well?)

What other beasts have you come across in Rifts books that would make for great livestock of some sort?

Second question, if you could make a single breeding pair of livestock immortal, but still fertile, and keep them breeding for an endless supply of meat animals, like say sheep, for lamb (and an endless supply of wool), would that be immoral, or against good alignments?

1. I have set up Tritops Cattle Barons in my game. Because just like in the old West, in the New West Cattle is King.

2. No.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Could also be some other secreted fluid that is just called milk for marketing purposes.

Also, the Duckbill Honkers (hadrosaurs) are ranched for meat as well. I suspect both honkers and tritops can be used as riding mounts too.

Things like cattle is also around, it just requires more constant watching to defend.
I suspect some of the smaller Dino's in dinoswamp could be ranched as well.

Warlords of Russia has several riding animals that would make good ranch animals, like the steppe ostrich.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

glitterboy2098 wrote:Could also be some other secreted fluid that is just called milk for marketing purposes.

Ew!
:shock:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

13eowulf wrote:Second question, if you could make a single breeding pair of livestock immortal, but still fertile, and keep them breeding for an endless supply of meat animals, like say sheep, for lamb (and an endless supply of wool), would that be immoral, or against good alignments?

I don't see how it would be any different than any other livestock.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
13eowulf wrote:Second question, if you could make a single breeding pair of livestock immortal, but still fertile, and keep them breeding for an endless supply of meat animals, like say sheep, for lamb (and an endless supply of wool), would that be immoral, or against good alignments?

An interesting twist on this would be some creature with animal level intelligence and a fast regeneration this is getting bits and pieces of meat carved off and then allowed to fully heal before doing it all again. In my opinion (and probably a lot of other people's opinions), causing great harm to a creature, even if it can heal from it quickly, repeatedly, to "farm" meat would be very evil.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Uber_Geek
D-Bee

Unread post by Uber_Geek »

dragonfett wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

An interesting twist on this would be some creature with animal level intelligence and a fast regeneration this is getting bits and pieces of meat carved off and then allowed to fully heal before doing it all again. In my opinion (and probably a lot of other people's opinions), causing great harm to a creature, even if it can heal from it quickly, repeatedly, to "farm" meat would be very evil.

The equivalent would probably how people see veal in our day and age.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

I guess the morality question to me revolves around what it would do to the breeding pair if they are constantly outliving their offspring for what would otherwise be multiple generations. Would an awareness of what is happening grow? Would if affect behaviour, or breeding ability?
I was inspired by the one Stargate SG1 episode where the one planet turns out to be farming Goa'uld for processing into medication, and the one Queen they had producing them somehow made it so that she was started producing offspring that had a flawed gene so that they were no longer of use.

Also, no thoughts on the egg edibility? Cause cattle that also lays eggs is also doing chicken duty. Though the Steppe Ostrich would also be useful for that, while in the Russia book are they also available in North America?
Last edited by 13eowulf on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

13eowulf wrote:I guess the morality question to me revolves around what it would do to the breeding pair if they are constantly outliving their offspring for what would otherwise be multiple generations. Would an awareness of what is happening grow? Would if affect behaviour, or breeding ability?
I was inspired by the one Stargate SG1 episode where the one planet turns out to be farming Goa'uld for processing into medication, and the one Queen they had producing them somehow made it so that she was started producing offspring that had a flawed gene so that they were no longer of use.

Also, no thoughts on the egg edibility? Cause cattle that also lays eggs is also doing chicken duty. Thought the Steppe Ostrich would also be useful for that, while in the Russia book are they also available in North America?

There are Ostrich farms in the US now so their could be.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:Could also be some other secreted fluid that is just called milk for marketing purposes.

Ew!
:shock:

"Don't ask where breakfast came from...just eat it..."
-Common phrase on Rifts Earth.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

the real source of Blue milk?
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

They mention that the Dinos in Rifts might just be alien lifeforms rather than actual time displaced critters. This might explain the lack of feathers on raptors.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

dragonfett wrote:

Reminds me of the joke with the farmer with the three-legged steer. The steer that follows the farmer everywhere he goes, fetches his lunchpail,carries him home at the end of the day, drives wild animals away from him, even pulls the farmer out from under an overturned tractor...The three legs? "Yah don't eat a useful critter like that all at once!"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

dragonfett wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

What about some GMO from Lone Star? Cows that make real chocolate milk?
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Nox Equites
Explorer

GhostKnight wrote:What about some GMO from Lone Star? Cows that make real chocolate milk?

They would rather make breeds that are just very disease resistant and produce high meat yields. They also aren't trying to be too obvious in their use of GMOs. Though a lot of that can just be disguised under propaganda.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
dragonfett wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html

Lol!
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

Nox Equites wrote:
GhostKnight wrote:What about some GMO from Lone Star? Cows that make real chocolate milk?

They would rather make breeds that are just very disease resistant and produce high meat yields. They also aren't trying to be too obvious in their use of GMOs. Though a lot of that can just be disguised under propaganda.

I don't think the average CS citizen cares or are concerned about GMO's; dogboys are GMOs and look how great they are! All the CS citizenry care about is that the government has provided them food and safety through the marvel of human technology! When the genetic wizards of Lone Star create better crops and livestock, that's only a good thing! That's the bread of the CS's bread and circuses mentality for keeping the population happy, loyal and obedient.
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
Nox Equites
Explorer

J_cobbers wrote:
Nox Equites wrote:

I don't think the average CS citizen cares or are concerned about GMO's; dogboys are GMOs and look how great they are! All the CS citizenry care about is that the government has provided them food and safety through the marvel of human technology! When the genetic wizards of Lone Star create better crops and livestock, that's only a good thing! That's the bread of the CS's bread and circuses mentality for keeping the population happy, loyal and obedient.

As per original print of Lonestar they were not advertising GMO crops being used because they don't want other communities stealing the seed stock. Never mind that they leave their breadbasket open to devastation by any grumpy warlock with a grudge.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

This is an impressive milk supply, but when it comes to giant pets I'm always curious just how much food they would need to consume to keep them going.

I realize much of Rifts is vast wilderness and MDC creatures might have more flexible diets than normal, but if you're going for exponential max-milk breeding growth, a wall will always get it.

I imagine triceratops are vegetarians so you can't use "Stone to Flesh" on a field of boulders to feed them like I might try for a Boschala to disincline them from eating Burbites.

Although I'm still not entirely clear if Boschala consume for the flesh or the PPE or both... guessing stone to flesh would have 0 PPE and may not profile full nutrition like it might if you were feeding boulders to your cat.

Return to “Rifts®”