Techno-Smithy optimization

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Techno-Smithy optimization

Unread post by Axelmania »

Dimension Book 6 page 84 is a pretty interesting OCC.

I have to question the purpose of the "Talisman creation" variant though. When I look at the stats the "Forge Weapons and Armor" variant just seems better in every way.

They have the same % gain to their respective skills per level, and the Talisman guys may initially seem better because they start off at 20 instead of 15 like the weapons/armor guys...

But that's before you consider the penalties.

The 15% for WA guys is endowing a spell which can be used 3 times a day. The 20% for Talisman guys is just the base ability to do 1 spell usable once.

Upgrading Talismans to to 'reusable after 24 hours' is -30% and changing from 1 time to 3 times is -20%, so the cumulative penalty is -50%

Or for comparison, when a Talisman guy is actually capable of doing a 3 times/day item, which barring high IQ for a bonus will happen at level 8 (52%-50% = 2% chance of success) the Weapons/Armor guy will have a 47% chance of making his 3times/day item.

To add insult on top of that, Talisman's OCC ability is limited to level 1-6 spells while the WA guy can do level 1-8 spells.

The only downside I can see is that a weapons guy destroys the weapon if he fails, while a talisman guy doesn't destroy whatever he's making into a talisman...

The problem here is you could just get a bunch of cheap small weapons and use them like Talismans. Sharpened throwing coins, for example, or darts.

Technically you have to Enchant Weapon: Minor beforehand, and it says if any rituals fail it's destroyed, so even if you put 1 spell in the weapon (you can do up to 3) that's 2 chances of failure... although I'm not entirely sure you do roll the % for the Enchant Weapon Minor spell, I think the percentages only apply to the OCC abilities which don't have a PPE cost.
RockJock
Knight

Re: Techno-Smithy optimization

Unread post by RockJock »

I've never played a Smithy, or had one in my games, except as a NPC background character, but I read it the same way you do. One advantage is there are many places you can bring a ring, or other piece of jewelry, but not a knife.

It isn't listed, but I would think a weapon would be limited to "weapon" type magic. I don't see Create Wood or something being part of a weapon, but would fit as a talisman. Just my two cents.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Techno-Smithy optimization

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

After reading the TS class text I've come to the conclution that it is more a Alchemist light in it's "stuff" making abilities. It also shows why alchemists are the only ones that can make all types of magic stuff, because they are mostly L10 in three magic classes.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”