SDC guns doing MDC damage...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

SDC guns doing MDC damage...

Unread post by tsh77769 »

I know about the ramjets. What are some other options for getting MDC damage out of SDC weapons, both technological and magical?

I really like the idea of sdc bullet chuckers with the option of using wood, silver, or other special rounds, and then switch over to MDC if need be. Plus, resistance to various types of energy is so common.

Thanks.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: SDC guns doing MDC damage...

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

tsh77769 wrote:I know about the ramjets. What are some other options for getting MDC damage out of SDC weapons, both technological and magical?

I really like the idea of sdc bullet chuckers with the option of using wood, silver, or other special rounds, and then switch over to MDC if need be. Plus, resistance to various types of energy is so common.

Thanks.

Any being that needs wood or silver don't have SDC they have hit points. There are both Wood and Silver sabot shotgun rounds. DU rounds do MD I believe.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Rifts Mercenaries has the caseless ammo, which when fired in bursts and with depleted uranium can inflict mega-damage.

Juicer uprising offered a shorgun which can fire regular shorgun shells as well as mega-damage explosive or ramjet shells.

New West offers the Wilks CRT (I think that's the abbreviation) - basically single-shot mega-damage lasers in the form of a bullet. These bullets come in a variety of ammo sizes and as long as the gun firing them is made from mega-damage materials they will work. Which makes them interchangable with S.D.C. ammo in those guns.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

tsh77769 wrote:I know about the ramjets. What are some other options for getting MDC damage out of SDC weapons, both technological and magical?

Thanks.

Materials that they are vulnerable to like wood, silver, etc specifically or uranium/depleted uranium
Explosive Rounds
Ramjets (as mentionedz0
Wilk's CFT (mentioned), drawback is they will likely slag the SDC weapon potentially either by ROF or by chance (better than 50%)
Enchant Weapon: Minor (spell magic) IIRC can turn SD bullets into MD bullets
Psi-Slinger Class in New West can also charge the weapon to turn it into MD capable
large caliber rounds have the potential in bursts (or they use to)
Technowizard Class can technically channel a spell casting through the weapon as an appropriate focus (w/o focus they incur penalties/cost)
Ward/Runes (magic) MIGHT work if the GM is flexible and allows you to "ward" the bullet and it activates when the bullet is fired
Possibly the Tarno Crystal in SB3 (it works for defensive purposes for sure, just not sure about offensive)
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

You can borrow SLAP/HEAP/LEAP small arms ammo from Robotech that turns SDC guns into MDC weapons. Its unclear if these weapons are made specifically to handle MDC rounds or if any SDC weapon can use the MDC rounds in that game.

These rounds appear to come in the following calibers:

Pistols:
10mm
4.5mm caseless

Rifles/MGs:
5.56mm
7.62x51mm
12.7mm
14.5mm

Its of note that while there are 9mm pistols in Robotech, there are no SLAP/HEAP/LEAP rounds for it. Humans seem to have gravitated to 10mm for their conventional pistols after the invention of Robotechnology.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

ShadowLogan wrote:Psi-Slinger Class in New West can also charge the weapon to turn it into MD capable

Is this the TK power Im wanting to mention? Where you take any SDC gun and charge 6 TK rounds in it?
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

ShadowLogan's list looks pretty comprehensive.

If you're already using a shotgun, the APRJ rounds are amazingly cost effective (2D6MD for $20). Less so if you use the stats from Juicer Uprising (3D6MD for $200 I think...going from memory). No other ramjet round is cost effective since you have to fire bursts.

Enchant Weapon: Minor works for all SDC ammunition so it's a good way to turn a pathetic weapon (.22LR pistol for example) into a 2D6MD dealing weapon.

I'd ignore everything else unless you have some special circumstances (like a Apok with explosive rounds since they convert SD into MD...scary stuff!).
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Kagashi wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:Psi-Slinger Class in New West can also charge the weapon to turn it into MD capable

Is this the TK power Im wanting to mention? Where you take any SDC gun and charge 6 TK rounds in it?

I don't think so, that sounds like you are thinking of the TW-45/TW-6gun (pg214, other TW guns like this exist on pg214-7). The Psi-SLinger PCC's special ability #2 "Psychic Weapon" (WB14 pg98) allows them to link to the weapon, allowing them to charge the bullets (upto 15) to do a flat MD (regardless of the SDC damage it would do), the psychic can telekinetically call the linked weapon to them.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Thanks.

Inflicting more than 100 SDC in one attack can damage MDC targets.
So a large caliber rifle (as per RUE 328) that inflicts 1d6x10+3 SDC per shot would inflict 2d6x10+3 SDC per short burst, which would allow for a small chance of inflicting 1 MD.
Likewise, a Heavy Caliber Machine-Gun or Mini-Gun can inflict 1d8x10 SDC on a short burst, allowing for inflicting 1 MD on a critical hit, or 2d8x10+20 SDC on a long burst, allowing for 1 MD on an average hit.

High Explosive Cartridges (RGMG 112) inflict +1d6x10 SDC, and Armor Piercing rounds inflict +1d6 SDC, and each of those would add to a standard SDC gun's chance of inflicting at least 1 MD.
The Large Caliber Rifle above, for example, would inflict 2d6x10+3 SDC on a single shot, which would allow for the possibility of inflicting 1 MD to MDC targets. A short burst would inflict 4d6x10+6 SDC, a range of 46-246 SDC, which would allow for up to 2 MD to be inflicted.

There are also explosive and plasma rounds for shotguns listed on 112 of the RGMG.
Explosive inflict 2d6 MD to a 10' area per single shot or 3d6 MD to a 20' area per double blast.
Plasma rounds inflict 3d6 MD to a 6' area per single shot, or 5d6 MD to a 12' area per double blast.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

No it doesn't, you can make a lot more than 100 SDC with an M16 burst, it still won't do damage to an MDC structure/being, you need an actual LAW to do that.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

High base damage armor piercing rounds could do MD, but I'd go with bursting APRJ rounds for solid ammunition mega-damage. If you can modify them with MD high explosive, similar to how current anti-materiel rounds work (which probably would just use Robotech rules) they might be stronger.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Svartalf wrote:No it doesn't, you can make a lot more than 100 SDC with an M16 burst, it still won't do damage to an MDC structure/being, you need an actual LAW to do that.

In first edition this was correct. As of RUE, KC's references are correct.
Updated Aug 2015
Svartalf
Champion

OK, I haven't read RUE, and didn't think Kev would change something that basic
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Svartalf wrote:OK, I haven't read RUE, and didn't think Kev would change something that basic

You clearly haven't read RUE :wink:
Svartalf
Champion

How would I, I can't order online and French stores have stopped ordering PB products, too few buyers for them to turn a profit on that brand... PB just isn't popular in France.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Svartalf wrote:How would I, I can't order online and French stores have stopped ordering PB products, too few buyers for them to turn a profit on that brand... PB just isn't popular in France.

Just playing with you. Trying to get it all out of my system before our game...
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

me too. Left mine 2 weeks ago in the middle of combat. Always rough to pick it back up from there.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Svartalf wrote:How would I, I can't order online and French stores have stopped ordering PB products, too few buyers for them to turn a profit on that brand... PB just isn't popular in France.

Dont worry, its like that anywhere outside Michigan too.

Amazon or Ebay is the best bet.
Updated Aug 2015
Svartalf
Champion

IF you can buy online, which I can't... otherwise Amazon would be my way.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Why can't you, if you don't mind me asking?

Svartalf
Champion

long story short, I made mistakes and I don't have a credit card or other web compatible means of payment... I pay cash or not at all.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Glistam wrote:New West offers the Wilks CRT (I think that's the abbreviation) - basically single-shot mega-damage lasers in the form of a bullet. These bullets come in a variety of ammo sizes and as long as the gun firing them is made from mega-damage materials they will work. Which makes them interchangeable with S.D.C. ammo in those guns.

not quite. unless fired from a dedicated CFT weapon the range is about a third of normal. and even in an MDC materials made weapon there is a major chance of the weapons exploding with each shot. an SDC weapon the explosion is pretty much a guaranteed.

this indicates that the CFT guns have a bunch of design things to make it work right, like focusing systems to improve the range, and some form of heat exchanges or vent or something to eliminate the chance of the cartridge blowing up when fired.

using CFT rounds in anything except a CFT gun is very much a bad idea.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Kagashi wrote:
Svartalf wrote:No it doesn't, you can make a lot more than 100 SDC with an M16 burst, it still won't do damage to an MDC structure/being, you need an actual LAW to do that.

In first edition this was correct. As of RUE, KC's references are correct.

Yup.

Also, even in the RMB, explosive SDC damage that did more than 100 MDC (like the LAW, as Svartalf said) could damage MDC targets. So an M-16 with High Explosive Rounds that did 1d6x10+4d6 SDC per shot would do 2d6x10+8d6 SDC on a short burst, which could still damage a MDC target if the roll was high enough.
An M-16 with HE cartridges that ripped off an entire clip at a single target would (post RUE, but pre-RGMG) inflict 7(1d6x10+4d6) SDC, for a range of 98-588 SDC, which could inflict as much as 5 MD on the high end.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

ShadowLogan
Palladin

glitterboy2098 wrote:not quite. unless fired from a dedicated CFT weapon the range is about a third of normal. and even in an MDC materials made weapon there is a major chance of the weapons exploding with each shot. an SDC weapon the explosion is pretty much a guaranteed.

this indicates that the CFT guns have a bunch of design things to make it work right, like focusing systems to improve the range, and some form of heat exchanges or vent or something to eliminate the chance of the cartridge blowing up when fired.

Uhmmm... No. The CFT weapon operates just fine in its intended weapons, which are made from MDC materials. They are said to have a recoil, but nothing indicates the MDC weapon has a failure rate as you suggest.

There is a 65% chance of the CFT round will explode if fired in a conventional revolver or pistol (read SDC materials), if it is successfully discharged range is 1/2 that of normal CFT, more than 2 rounds per minute (60sec) will "melt the gun, fusing parts together and making it useless junk" (pg212 WB14).
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

This is what the original text about MD seemed to imply, but it appears to have been forgotten as soon as Rifts Mercs.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Tor wrote:

This is what the original text about MD seemed to imply, but it appears to have been forgotten as soon as Rifts Mercs.

I took it as a sorta yes sorta no situation going into the mercs situation.

prior to mercs it was clear that massed SDC from multiple sources absolutely did NOT get summed into low MDC.

in mercs there was the change or clarification that if one source of fire could do "enough" SDC it potentially could do MDC. What really changed in mercs was that it made some changes in what constituted "enough" SDC and what constituted a single source.

personally I have some "issues" with the idea that a large enough burst of wimpy little 4d6ish SDC ea. rounds can cause MDC, but that is the route they chose to go.

now granted it does essentially say that you need a huge number of relatively weak hits in a short amount of time, preferably concentrated in a small area, or exotic (read bullets made out of MDC material) or explosive rounds because for some reason explosive damage even in relatively small individual explosions can be additive towards determining if the damage done crosses the MDC threshold.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

ShadowLogan wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:not quite. unless fired from a dedicated CFT weapon the range is about a third of normal. and even in an MDC materials made weapon there is a major chance of the weapons exploding with each shot. an SDC weapon the explosion is pretty much a guaranteed.

Uhmmm... No. The CFT weapon operates just fine in its intended weapons, which are made from MDC materials. They are said to have a recoil, but nothing indicates the MDC weapon has a failure rate as you suggest.

There is a 65% chance of the CFT round will explode if fired in a conventional revolver or pistol (read SDC materials), if it is successfully discharged range is 1/2 that of normal CFT, more than 2 rounds per minute (60sec) will "melt the gun, fusing parts together and making it useless junk" (pg212 WB14).

hey, working of memory means errors creep in.

but the fact there is a range difference at all says that the CFT guns have more involved than just MDC frame. otherwise you'd get the same range regardless of whether its a CFT or non-CFT weapon.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

RMBp11 mentions 'a hail of bullets' either coming from M-16 assault rifles or sub-machine guns.

It mentions 'as many as 50' rounds hitting for about 300 SDC.

This comes from 30 rebel bandits though so this 'hail' might be from more than 1 gun.

RMBp244 lists only as much as a 30 round clip for the M16 rifle, and only as much as 30 round magazines for sub-machineguns, so I think even with a full melee burst it'd have to be more than one shooter for this 'hail'.

This means it is divided among different weapons/attacks so perhaps it's to say that combined SDC from multiple attacks do not equal MDC.

So this wouldn't contradict combined SDC in a single attack (even from multiple bullets) doing so.

RMBp38 also references an M-16 assault rifle, and specifies the sub-machinegun as an Uzi, and talks about a spray with a hail, saying the combined attack must number into the hundreds of damage.

I take it "spray" to just be a figure of speech rather than the spray maneuver, but it's still kinda odd.

Even with a full melee burst from both weapons, the "combined attack" would only do 2D6x10 + 4D6x10. So you could in theory only suffer 60 SDC from it. Why it 'must' be 'hundreds' I don't know.

On average 6D6x10 will produce 210 damage, which is in the hundreds, but scoring average or above isn't exactly a must.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Tor wrote:RMBp11 mentions 'a hail of bullets' either coming from M-16 assault rifles or sub-machine guns.

It mentions 'as many as 50' rounds hitting for about 300 SDC.

This comes from 30 rebel bandits though so this 'hail' might be from more than 1 gun.

RMBp244 lists only as much as a 30 round clip for the M16 rifle, and only as much as 30 round magazines for sub-machineguns, so I think even with a full melee burst it'd have to be more than one shooter for this 'hail'.

This means it is divided among different weapons/attacks so perhaps it's to say that combined SDC from multiple attacks do not equal MDC.

So this wouldn't contradict combined SDC in a single attack (even from multiple bullets) doing so.

Agreed.
50 bullets hitting from 30 bandits means they were probably doing short bursts, which would only be 4d6x2 damage, which would be 48 SDC maximum, and 28 SDC on average.
If 11 bandits hit for average damage, that's over 300 damage--but no one attack is over 100 SDC.

RMBp38 also references an M-16 assault rifle, and specifies the sub-machinegun as an Uzi, and talks about a spray with a hail, saying the combined attack must number into the hundreds of damage.

I take it "spray" to just be a figure of speech rather than the spray maneuver, but it's still kinda odd.

Even with a full melee burst from both weapons, the "combined attack" would only do 2D6x10 + 4D6x10. So you could in theory only suffer 60 SDC from it. Why it 'must' be 'hundreds' I don't know.

On average 6D6x10 will produce 210 damage, which is in the hundreds, but scoring average or above isn't exactly a must.

:ok:

And from 3 bandits, 210 damage means 70 each on average, which is still less than 100 SDC per attack.

Meanwhile, the machinegun on the ATV Speedster Hover Cycle (RMB 226) inflicts 1d4 MD per burst of 50 rounds.
One of two things is happening with that weapon: either each round does 1+ MD, and only <4 rounds out of 50 actually hit the target, OR each individual round inflicts SDC, but the combined damage from a burst of 50 rounds is enough to inflict minor mega-damage.
Likewise, the Borg Forearm Mini-Machinegun on p. 241 fires a burst of 30 rounds and inflicts 2d4 MD.
Either each round inflicts 1 MD+, and only 2-4 rounds out of 30 rounds fired actually hit the target, OR each individual round inflicts SDC, and the combined damage from a burst is enough to inflict mega-damage when fired in a large burst.
While it's technically possible that those weapons DO inflict 1 MD per individual round, and that the weapons ARE simply wildly inaccurate... It doesn't seem to be the most likely interpretation of the facts.

Alrik Vas
Knight

The rounds used in the weapons might have something to do with it. Does it give damage for a single shot on the borg machine gun? It's possible it's firing explosive rounds, which would wear away armor, allowing subsequent rounds to deal actual damage.

It's weak supposition, I know, because it can't apply always, but it's about as consistent as many other rules for specific weapons. :P

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Dat borg rail gun hand in NGR that does exactly 2 MD per shot but has dice allowing you to roll odd amounts.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

glitterboy2098 wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

hey, working of memory means errors creep in.

but the fact there is a range difference at all says that the CFT guns have more involved than just MDC frame. otherwise you'd get the same range regardless of whether its a CFT or non-CFT weapon.

I agree that the CFT guns are likely more involved than simply a frame.

Return to “Rifts®”