armor of Ithan vs acid

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

armor of Ithan vs acid...will it work?

Yes
57%
No
7%
Maybe
No votes
I don't know
7%
Might requires a house ruling.
29%

Total votes: 14

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

armor of Ithan vs acid

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

if you are attacked with acid, and have armor of ithane on, would it protect you. and I am talking spit attack.
Last edited by ShadowHawk on Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flatline
Knight

Re: armor of Ithan vs acid

Unread post by flatline »

being splashed by acid? sure.
being immersed in acid? probably not.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I said I don't know because I don't know what you are actually asking.

Will the Armor work vs Acid? Will the Acid work vs the Armor?

I think if you fall in a vat of it, then the Armor won't protect you, just like any other armor wouldn't. If it's thrown at you and it doesn't beat your AR, then the armor protects you.

If after that, the GM wants to make you take damage from it seeping through, then that's up to them.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

You might want to rephrase the question because We Are Not Psychics. What do you mean with the "will it work?" phrasing.

It is a point of view problem.

Will the acid just go through the AoI because it is a liquid?
or
Will the AoI block the acid because it is an attack?

Which do you mean?
---------
Then there is the saving throw for acid attacks...it is called Dodge.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Yes, AoI will block acid attacks that are under the AR number.

No, I don't think acid will damage AoI. IIRC, acid has to react to something in order to damage it, or something like that. It's been awhile since high school. Let's check the Wiki entry real quick:

An acid (from the Latin acidus/acēre meaning sour[1]) is a chemical substance whose aqueous solutions are characterized by a sour taste, the ability to turn blue litmus red, and the ability to react with bases and certain metals (like calcium) to form salts. Aqueous solutions of acids have a pH of less than 7. Non-aqueous acids are usually formed when an anion (negative ion) reacts with one or more positively charged hydrogen cations. A lower pH means a higher acidity, and thus a higher concentration of positive hydrogen ions in the solution. Chemicals or substances having the property of an acid are said to be acidic.

Now personally, I always thought of AoI as forming an energy-like suit of armor, similar to the armor spells in Skyrim. So if the initial attack didn't get through to you, it would simply roll off since there's nothing there for the acid to react to IMO.

But I do agree with the others that if you get immersed in it you're screwed.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would have an acid attack like any other weapon against Armor of Ithan, including damage to its SDC and so on. RPG acid is seldom like real-world acids, and I'd be inclined towards KISS.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

if you are attacked with acid, and have armor of ithane on, would it protect you. and I am talking spit attack. I am thinking aheadof time this time.
Library Ogre

ShadowHawk wrote:if you are attacked with acid, and have armor of ithane on, would it protect you. and I am talking spit attack. I am thinking aheadof time this time.

Yes. It would protect you from the damaging effects of acid (providing, of course, that it didn't beat the AR), sacrificing some of its own SDC to do so.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I would rule it as a nonenvironmental Forcefield.

Acids, gases, fire all have normal effect.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Mark Hall wrote:
ShadowHawk wrote:if you are attacked with acid, and have armor of ithane on, would it protect you. and I am talking spit attack. I am thinking aheadof time this time.

Yes. It would protect you from the damaging effects of acid (providing, of course, that it didn't beat the AR), sacrificing some of its own SDC to do so.

Why would it take damage from the acid? Acid does damage by reacting with the target, but with AoI, there's no matter to react with. The acid, if it doesn't make its way inside the armor, should just fall away harmlessly like water would.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Library Ogre

flatline wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Why would it take damage from the acid? Acid does damage by reacting with the target, but with AoI, there's no matter to react with. The acid, if it doesn't make its way inside the armor, should just fall away harmlessly like water would.

Because I don't want to have to come up with special exceptions for absolutely every thing, and so Armor of Ithan is affected by attacks except as it explicitly says.

All Palladium Articles
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

flatline wrote:being splashed by acid? sure.
being immersed in acid? probably not.

Agrees with flatline in that it will block the acid from damaging the character if it is just a splash. and the strike is below the AR.

AoI is not environmentally sealed so swimming in acid is not feasible.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

There is some acid in PF specifically which does extra damage to metal on page 264. Under the Armor of Ithan spell description on page 192 I do not see any mention of it being metal so would that mean it takes the reduced damage done to organic materials/leather/skin ? It doesn't seem organic either... maybe it takes no damage at all from metal dissolver? Does anyone remember if Armor of Ithan is ever called metal or alive?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The AoI is Magic not metal. So any acid that does extra damage to metal does not do any extra damage to the AoI. Remember that some of the description was written so the average teenager starting to play the game could understand the "concept" of the spell. Not for Rules Lawyers parsing the exact language.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”