Lvl 4 Energy Field

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Deadboy76
D-Bee

Lvl 4 Energy Field

Unread post by Deadboy76 »

The description is not entirely clear how this works. If cast on a person, can that person (group) shoot out of it, while it blocks incoming rounds (energy/Plasma/solid rounds/etc)? The reason I ask is my Ley Line Walker is wondering if he casts it on a stone at someone's feet, does it create, for all intensive purposes, a cage?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Lvl 4 Energy Field

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I have always considered it to be an immobile sphere or wall of energy. It's useful for a mage who doesn't require line of effect for his actions, but wants to protect himself from others (so, you might sit under one and cast Call Lightning, and have an extra layer of protection)
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Deadboy76 wrote:The description is not entirely clear how this works. If cast on a person, can that person (group) shoot out of it, while it blocks incoming rounds (energy/Plasma/solid rounds/etc)? The reason I ask is my Ley Line Walker is wondering if he casts it on a stone at someone's feet, does it create, for all intensive purposes, a cage?

Casting it around a tiny rock won't effect the person. you cannot entrap part of a person--that is, the energy feild cannot cut someone in half. if you create it around someone, then yes, they are suddenly in a 60 MDC cage that blocks all outgoing attacks. they can probablly break it in a few rounds though.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Deadboy76 wrote:The description is not entirely clear how this works. If cast on a person, can that person (group) shoot out of it, while it blocks incoming rounds (energy/Plasma/solid rounds/etc)? The reason I ask is my Ley Line Walker is wondering if he casts it on a stone at someone's feet, does it create, for all intensive purposes, a cage?

For ease of play some GMs tend to let people to shoot out of it.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

For ease of play GMs tend to let people to shoot out of it.

Really? I've never found a GM who did let people shoot out of it. the various groups I was in always assumed it to be a quick and dirty cage spell for trapping people.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

if you cant shoot out, can spells that affect areas outside the field still be cast?
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
Deadboy76
D-Bee

Unread post by Deadboy76 »

I think spells that don't specifically leave the caster should still work. It says it can be cast on an object and has a 6-8' diameter. So if that object is a rock at the feet of an enemy, is the enemy now trapped? If it is cast on a person, does it move, with the target acting as the center of the sphere?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

It depends on the GM.
-----------
I posted a "gunports' spell in the fan spell topic and was chastized that it was not needed cause most gms just let people shoot out of an EF.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Deadboy76 wrote:I think spells that don't specifically leave the caster should still work. It says it can be cast on an object and has a 6-8' diameter. So if that object is a rock at the feet of an enemy, is the enemy now trapped? If it is cast on a person, does it move, with the target acting as the center of the sphere?

The dimensions can be altered to smaller, just not bigger. you can create an energy feild that covers a rock and nothing else.

You don't cast it ON anyone or anything. you pick any area within the spell range up to 8' in diameter and it appears. you can't cut anything in half with it, but other than that it effects the area, not any target. in fact, you can't cast it on a target. it dosn't go "On" a rock, or a person, and never moves from the place it was created. that's why there's no saving throw. it dosn't effect anything, it just creates a bubble within an area. anything in can't act on anything without and vice versa.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Deadboy76 wrote:I think spells that don't specifically leave the caster should still work. It says it can be cast on an object and has a 6-8' diameter. So if that object is a rock at the feet of an enemy, is the enemy now trapped? If it is cast on a person, does it move, with the target acting as the center of the sphere?

The dimensions can be altered to smaller, just not bigger. you can create an energy feild that covers a rock and nothing else.

You don't cast it ON anyone or anything. you pick any area within the spell range up to 8' in diameter and it appears. you can't cut anything in half with it, but other than that it effects the area, not any target. in fact, you can't cast it on a target. it dosn't go "On" a rock, or a person, and never moves from the place it was created. that's why there's no saving throw. it dosn't effect anything, it just creates a bubble within an area. anything in can't act on anything without and vice versa.

Had a nice discussion with Blue Lon about whether or not an EF is movable.

My position was that if the player does not state any intentions that the EF would default to immobility, but if the player stated his/her intentions for the EF to be mobile when cast around/on a mobile object then it could be mobile.

I will let Blue Lon state his position.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I always looked at it as a defensive spell, typically for those that would not be shooting. such as children, wounded or mages casting spells that are not from source attacks.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Had a nice discussion with Blue Lon about whether or not an EF is movable.

My position was that if the player does not state any intentions that the EF would default to immobility, but if the player stated his/her intentions for the EF to be mobile when cast around/on a mobile object then it could be mobile.

I will let Blue Lon state his position.

That's a decent way to make energy field more useful. In fact, the current limitations are so big I very rarely see players ever use it--only when they want to cage a weak enemy, or to keep a big enemy in place for a couple turns while they blast their way out. however, I just re-read the spell carefully and I can't come to any conclusion that it is moveable. I do respect your opinion, drewkitty, but I just can't agree this time around.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The only reason I take that position is to let players 'be creative'. Otherwise they are stuck with an immobile EF.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Energy fields can be bubbles and can be walls, so that note alone leaves me to believe it's solid both ways. On top of that, sheltering force, another type of energy field, makes a specific note about it's tangability, as does bubble field. So yeah, it's a bubble. It can be used as cover, to protect civies or important objects or to temporarily remove some enemies from a fight. Or, how my tw Luke used to use it, as a way to ruin most fast vehicles day (Cast it in front of a moving vehicle, instant head on collision).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Prince Artemis wrote:Energy fields can be bubbles and can be walls, so that note alone leaves me to believe it's solid both ways. On top of that, sheltering force, another type of energy field, makes a specific note about it's tangability, as does bubble field. So yeah, it's a bubble. It can be used as cover, to protect civies or important objects or to temporarily remove some enemies from a fight. Or, how my tw Luke used to use it, as a way to ruin most fast vehicles day (Cast it in front of a moving vehicle, instant head on collision).

Air Mines (lesser)
Level 5
Range: special
Duration: 10 min
Saving Throw: none
PPE: 12 (special)
"Have you while taking a flight on your wing board minding your own business not hurting anybody, attracted the attention of some sort of annoying SAMAS or Bugs or Flying Dinosaur? Then I have the spell for you...."
Developed by a mage sick of having to out run or out fly pesky SAMAS trying to shoot him down this spell derived for the the Energy Field spell because of the energy field's immobility.
The spell creates small transparent spheres about a foot apart in a plane 10 meters behind whatever flying device the mage is using. The area covered is 10'+10'/Level squared. Each sphere has only One MDC, but that is usually enough to stop (bringing their speed to 0 kph) anything flying into the mines, doing ramming damage to themselves. Missiles flying through the Field have a 25% chance ( 5 or less on a D20 ) of running into one of the mines.
If the mage wishes to cover more area of the plane, then with expending 12 PPE more, he is able to make a second pattern of mines . However, none of the patterns can overlap.
:-D :D
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Energy Field is a great offensive spell.

Cast it in front of a speeding vehicle. CRASH!
Cast it between opponents so that they can't help each other.
Block escape paths.
Deny your opponent the ability to get to something (vehicle controls?)...and then dispell it as soon as they start shooting at the EF and watch them cry as their own weapons destroy whatever they were trying to get to.
Cast it on top of water so that people can't come up for air.

RUE made it even better now that it can be cast in a single action. I used to carry around Talismans of it in order to be able to cast it quickly.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.

Return to “Rifts®”