Mind's Eye interpretation Rifter 25

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DarkerSavant
D-Bee

Mind's Eye interpretation Rifter 25

Unread post by DarkerSavant »

In rifter 25 pg 78. Minds Eye says that a psychic using this power suffers no penalties when blinded or in complete darkness. My GM is telling me that the ability it also gives to pinpoints an object is in turn the ability check to use Minds Eye and get the bonus stats as well as see blind and in dark. I read it as an additional ability the power gives to locate an object or person with exact accuracy on top of the other benefits and that the bonus stats and seeing in darkness/blind are always had. Of course except the last part that says not while in smoke or rain. Also can you still see blind and darkness while in rain and smoke because it only says negates the bonuses provided not the vision?

Can others please weigh in and let me know what they think. Thanks.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Mind's Eye interpretation Rifter 25

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

DarkerSavant wrote:My GM is telling me that the ability it also gives to pinpoints an object is in turn the ability check to use Minds Eye and get the bonus stats as well as see blind and in dark. I read it as an additional ability the power gives to locate an object or person with exact accuracy on top of the other benefits and that the bonus stats and seeing in darkness/blind are always had.

The GM has the final say in his or her game, but for the sake of argument, your interpretation is technically correct. The percentile roll specifically represents your accuracy in determining "shape, distance, direction, speed, and location" of objects in your vicinity. All other aspects of the power are constant and automatic while the power is in effect.

Also can you still see blind and darkness while in rain and smoke because it only says negates the bonuses provided not the vision?

Yes, you can still perceive your surroundings via the power, just not as clearly, much like how normal vision is diminished in thick fog or smoke.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
DarkerSavant
D-Bee

Thank you for the prompt response.
DarkerSavant
D-Bee

Does that mean that the % roll is required to make any heads or tails of what the Psychic "see's" or is it an optional ability to pin point like say the difference between a carpenter eyeballing the size and shape of a board vs getting the exact measurements LxWxH of the board on a successful check?
DarkerSavant
D-Bee

Sorry for extra posts. Thought of another question. Thank you for your assistance clarifying the ability.

1. What information is available without a check?

2. Can normal tasks and abilities be accomplished similar to normal eyesight without the check?

3. Does the skill check have critical failures for 98% and over rolls?
DarkerSavant
D-Bee

4. When should the check be called for?
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

DarkerSavant wrote:Does that mean that the % roll is required to make any heads or tails of what the Psychic "see's" or is it an optional ability to pin point like say the difference between a carpenter eyeballing the size and shape of a board vs getting the exact measurements LxWxH of the board on a successful check?

I gather from the description that the roll determines details. The user would automatically know that there is an object located approximately 20 feet away, but a percentile roll would be required to determine whether that object was a person, a cow, or a television.

Of course, I'm also assuming that this is like a skill check; the actual wording in the power description is that the character can "sense and interpret [...] at an accuracy of 70% + 2% per level." This could be interpreted to mean that the character automatically detects everything in range, but that the character's estimations of size, speed, etc. are only 70+ percent accurate. GM's call.

1. What information is available without a check?

Basically, information that isn't specifically listed as requiring a check, within the confines of this being a "radar-like" power. In my opinion, that would include the general direction and location of each radar echo (i.e. "behind you" or "at 10 o'clock"), whether or not a detected object is moving towards you or away from you, and little else.

2. Can normal tasks and abilities be accomplished similar to normal eyesight without the check?

I suppose it depends on the complexity of the task. If you want to shoot an apple off someone's head while blindfolded, you probably need to make the percent roll (followed by a successful strike roll); if you want to run through a dark and narrow corridor without crashing into the walls, I would think knowing where the walls are is automatic.

In other words, if you need to know the exact shape, distance, direction, speed, or location of an object to do something, then you need to make the roll.

3. Does the skill check have critical failures for 98% and over rolls?

There is no indication of this in the power description, so I assume not.

4. When should the check be called for?

Essentially, whenever you want to know the specific, detailed information noted previously.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”