RRT Modeling/Basing requirements for Mecha questions.

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Maximilian Jenius
Megaversal® Ambassador

RRT Modeling/Basing requirements for Mecha questions.

Unread post by Maximilian Jenius »

The rulebook (or at least the copy I am reading) does not appear to address modeling and basing requirements.

Question 1.

Do models have to be posed in the fashion they are molded in? If deviations are allowed are there any limitations?

Question 2.

Do mecha require a base? If so what base sizes and shapes must a Mecha adhere to?

Question 3.

Do models with supplied flight stands have to use the one provided? If not what limitations are there in regards to legal height and type of flight stand?
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Re: RRT Modeling/Basing requirements for Mecha questions.

Unread post by Phaze »

Question 1.

Do models have to be posed in the fashion they are molded in? If deviations are allowed are there any limitations?

That question is best answered by a tournament organizer and rules at the location of play. I would not have a problem with different poses and modeling efforts to put the mini into a more WYSIWYG style...i.e changing bombs for missles on the wings of the Valks. Changing scale is a whole different thing. Modeling all of your battloids in the kneeling position to gain cover easier could be allowed in friendly games, but the organizer of a tournament may not accept it. Most games I know don't have set rules on converting and changing minis...Events do. Adepticon has different rule requirements than say the GW storefronts do.

Question 2.

Do mecha require a base? If so what base sizes and shapes must a Mecha adhere to?

What? Are you going for the prone valkyries with larger bases? lol. Yes, the minis use a standard base size. The glaug has a larger base. Use the bases that are supplied with the mini or if you want to make your own with a laser cutter, use the same size as the one supplied.

Before you ask...yes use the 5" blast template too. You can use any template you like as long as it matches the exact same size as the blast template provided.

Question 3.

Do models with supplied flight stands have to use the one provided? If not what limitations are there in regards to legal height and type of flight stand?

I know alot of people that want clear flight stands and are making thier own. Again that is up to a tournament organizer. If you want to put you battloid on a six inch flight stand...it kinda blows any cover you could use. If you plan on playing in many tournaments the best thing is to keep it as close to the original flight stand as possible to negate any possibily of being disqualified. I think any effort to change a model to gain any tactical advantage is wrong and goes against the intent of the design. Changing a model for visual benefit is a great idea. Tournaments must be prepared for those that want to gain advantage by modeling the original minis. If you can't win by building an army list and taking on another player with good sound tactics, and have to resort to model your minis to gain an advantage to win... you don't belong in a tournament. May I recommend a healthy dose of Sun Tzu?

Just my 2 Cents...

Its not like I would be running tournaments or anything... ummmm... NMI, why are you looking at me that way?
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Maximilian Jenius
Megaversal® Ambassador

Phaze there are mecha in the rulebook that do not have a model or a base yet are required to be used in the standard rules (convoy defense scenario)

Also it would be better if conversion rules and limitations were adressed by the creators of the game as to avoid people being disqualified in an event unexpectedly for using nonstandard flight stands for example.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

I would adopt modified gamesworkshop type guidelines..

Customization is not only allowed but encouraged.. but it needs to be obvious what the unit is and no modelling for rules advantage is allowed. So you can repose that valk to have a cool running stance, but having every model crawling on its belly is not so good. When concerns arise, bring a normal version or a properly scaled cutout to put in place to check LOS

All models must be based. The base size used must either match the one that comes with the figure, or one that is a bit larger. Larger bases generally detrimental (easier to shoot, easier to get in base to base, etc), but larger basescan allow more intersting base decoration or figure poses. Figures cannot use any base smaller than the one it came with.

And i'd include fight stands there. As long as it isn't modelling for advantage (like a vf on a 12 inch stand for uber los..) there is no reason why you couldn't use other methods. Like rods, molded smoke, or what have you.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

While the rules give no size/shape/base size for a convoy vehicle, it does state that they should be agreed upon before game play by both sides.

In the event of a tournament, I would assume that the Organizers of the event would spell it out on the base size and size and shape of the mini or have a standard miniature available should that scenario come up. 40K tournaments frequently required 5 objective markers for each army and dictated the size of those objective markers. That wasn't covered in the 40K rulebook but is dictated by the Tournament Organizers.

Now that you brought this up, I should come up with some for my army...40mm base with a Heavy Lift Vehicle for space battles and large trucks for ground based. I may even put a few cargo planes on some for aerial battles. I will always have mine handy, but should the other player want to use his...no problem.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Maximilian Jenius
Megaversal® Ambassador

It would be best if it were defined in the rules. Or even better if PB released an official model for it.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

GHQ makes some good 5-ton trucks and HEMTT models that would work as cargo carriers.. they're the same scale as the Robotech tactics mini's, and would basically represent 'global war' period vehicles. i'd suggest the HEMTT cargo because it looks more scifi-ish..

however they are small enough you could probably get by with a 25mm or 30mm base.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Phaze wrote:
Its not like I would be running tournaments or anything... ummmm... NMI, why are you looking at me that way?

Working on getting something set up.... trying.... Not NMI, but you will have to settle for the coordinator currently stuck in this....
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
JimmyB
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have been gaming since 1977 and GMing since 1986.
If its an RPG or has minis, Its here somewhere.

Unread post by JimmyB »

Customization:

This is an easy one. For those who got to see the models on display at Gen Con, or have seen
them at the warehouse. These miniatures were made for customization. They come
with multiple arms and legs. Extra bits of all kinds. And they are made of plastic.
For those who play other mini games. you know that plastic has become extremely
popular with more recent models because of its ability to be modified.

Flight Stands:

Again, this is easy, because that is just another part of the model. So have fun and do what
ever you want. If you have a way to hide it, that's always cool :)

Bases:

This is the one thing in every miniature game I have played that has rules.
So that is something that will need addressed. But I would expect to see rules
for a standard base for all three modes of Mecha. As well as rules for a
pre-determined Large base. (for things like the Monster)
Jimmy B aka Beatleguise
Gaming in the Verse.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”