Archie 3. Just WOW!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Archie 3. Just WOW!

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

ol' toaster brain, yeah. he's a real scary, scary jerkface.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Yeah, Archie 3 is my favorite villain/plot device in Rifts... well... tied with the Mechanoids, which works out beautifully because... oh, I'll let you get to sourcebook 2 first :)
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

Don't forget to get Shemarrian Nation as well.. and there's a Rifter with more Archie stuff, including some more Titan Robotics stuff..
And if you like the Shemarrians, there's a thread of fan created stuff that's expanded (in a direction away from Archie) the Shemarrian arsenal greatly. There's a few fan created Archie toys in there as well, but not much actually.. should fix that.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I gotta admit, I never got the appeal of ARCHIE. but the nice thing about a kitchen sink setting like rifts, it has something for everyone, even stuff that's not for me.

Glad to have ya around here!
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
vsper
Wanderer

Unread post by vsper »

I like using archie as the big hand that is often off screen pulling strings. He is hyper intelligent and in many ways a child. He is curious, scared and temperamental all making him a good foil.
vsper
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Yeah Archie is a good story, and the Mechanoids are always just great villains. They're not there to talk, just vape humanoids where ever they find them, then chop up their planet...

Remember, "though shalt not build a machine in the image of a human mind," and this is why.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

ARCHIE-3 is an interesting character, and not necessarily as a villain. I do disagree with the Frozen Army (Mechanoids would have murdered the tar out of all of them. And possibly ARCHIE as well, once they found out).
But if a party can get on somewhat friendly terms with Archie and Hagan (the difficulty of that task is up to the individual GM), then he can be an impressive patron. An excellent potential plot hook, all things considered.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

wyrmraker wrote:ARCHIE-3 is an interesting character, and not necessarily as a villain. I do disagree with the Frozen Army (Mechanoids would have murdered the tar out of all of them. And possibly ARCHIE as well, once they found out).
But if a party can get on somewhat friendly terms with Archie and Hagan (the difficulty of that task is up to the individual GM), then he can be an impressive patron. An excellent potential plot hook, all things considered.

Agreed; it's a great way to corrupt PCs, by giving them a sweet-talking patron who can provide them with goodies and gradually steer them into being pawns of a would-be cybernetic god (and his partner) nwith AMBITIONS.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

What's not to like about ARCHIE-3. For all intents and purposes he should be classed as an AAI or Artificial Alien Intelligence (except he's not Alien), but in almost every other respect he operates like a traditional AI. Hidden location, hidden agenda, one primary corrupted human henchman (I see Hagan fulfilling a similar type of role as a Master Vampire), hundreds if not thousands of robotic essence fragments that can be controlled or observed over long distances., involved in a secret war with other AIs (Splynncryth in this case), etc.

Using robotic minions and other human middlemen (Titan Robotics), like Zazshan in England, PC's could actually be working for him and not even know it.
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Kelorin wrote:
Using robotic minions and other human middlemen (Titan Robotics), like Zazshan in England, PC's could actually be working for him and not even know it.

Indeed. That's the attractive horror of big AI systems; they could be manipulating you via various agencies and you wouldn't know it.
In fact, you might be being manipulated by a secret Artificial Intelligence even now, through your bank records*! :twisted:

*and given the nebulous definition of 'credits' in Palladium, from actual coinage to 'safecoded' electronic transfer, it shouldn't be too hard for a master number-cruncher like ARCHIE-3 to hack access(using an operative like one of his robots, or a convenient patsy like a technician installing new parts in a telecommunications system in one of the high tech trade and banking centers) and start manipulating the currency.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

I'd wager dollar to donut Archie might just be thee single Richest (if not second world richest) entity in Rifts North America.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

If Archie managed to contact and corrupt the moon-ARCHIE in Mutants in Orbit, could potentially be worse than that Mechanoid scout party that presumably got vaped.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Blastaar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Home of the Xiticix...
Hudsons Wheigh is located near my actual home of Gillam and not Gitlam

Unread post by Blastaar »

Tor wrote:If Archie managed to contact and corrupt the moon-ARCHIE in Mutants in Orbit, could potentially be worse than that Mechanoid scout party that presumably got vaped.

I believe he can contact the moon base archie, it just has been programmed to ignore all earth based communications
Greed is for amateurs. Disorder, chaos, anarchy: now that's fun!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Blastaar wrote:I believe he can contact the moon base archie, it just has been programmed to ignore all earth based communications

Hm... so if Archie contacted some other party... and transferred an AI copy into orbit... and then used THAT source to contact MoonChie?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

I kinda see Archie as a scared and confused child w/ a LOT of power. If we look at we see that his "birth" was very traumatic as his "parents" (the HQ Echo personnle) died off leaving him alone. He tried to do what he had been "taught" was right, but was unprepared for the Splugorth and had no one to turn to for advice so he fell into a depressive cycle and when he came out of it he tried again but by this time a certain level of (potenttailly correctable) psychosis had set in making him manic as well. So when Hagan came along e found "friend" he coudl turn to for advice, and the "machine" voice he uses is a cover for the emotions within him tha the doesn't understand. Unfortunately Archie has been influenced by James T. and Hagan. Hagan, while a good idea man, is questionable in regards to his "moral" stance. His morals reflect the diffculties of his life and suit him well, but they DON'T suit his roel as an advisor to a fledgling AI and he doesn't truly grasp what ARCHIE is REALLY capable of. They're both children playing with fire and they just might get burned.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Blastaar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Home of the Xiticix...
Hudsons Wheigh is located near my actual home of Gillam and not Gitlam

Unread post by Blastaar »

check how archie gained the ability to bounce off moon base in aftemath
Greed is for amateurs. Disorder, chaos, anarchy: now that's fun!

Return to “Rifts®”