Head Shots

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

KillWatch
Champion

Head Shots

Unread post by KillWatch »

is -2 realistic for a called shot? is it too lenient or too tough?
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Head Shots

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

headshots tend to default to -3 in cannonical examples, -5 for really tiny heads.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I hate head shots. I modify the called shot rules when players start making head shots (and I warn them ahead of time) - if their called shot misses, it won't hit the main body.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Glistam wrote:I hate head shots. I modify the called shot rules when players start making head shots (and I warn them ahead of time) - if their called shot misses, it won't hit the main body.

Every GM I've ever played with has ruled the same way. I don't know anyone who has disagreed because really, that matches our intuition on how things should work better than the canon rules do.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

depends on the distance and weapon used (a shotgun at 3' away -2 is a bit harsh a .22 rifle at 1000' with no scope it's not harsh enough)
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Yeah, i think the idea of hitting the body rather than the head is, the shot can be lower than you intended...though i'd leave it up to chance rather than "every time."
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

In most games I have played a called shot that fails misses completely. A -3 for a head shot is fairly standard, however does that mean shooting any target smaller than a human head is -3 or more?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

SpiritInterface wrote:In most games I have played a called shot that fails misses completely. A -3 for a head shot is fairly standard, however does that mean shooting any target smaller than a human head is -3 or more?

The sizes aren't really worked out with much sense involved. you get -3 on a lot of things, even the head of a mech or PA, which are clearly larger than a human's. They just want risk involved no matter where you're shooting, hence a 12 for a challed shot, with a penalty to you roll if you try to hit the really sensitive spots.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
McFacemelt
Wanderer
Comment: Now go away, or I will be forced to taunt you a second time.

Unread post by McFacemelt »

In all the games I've played or ran as far as guns are concerned a 7 or lower misses, to include called shots. If by chance they make the 8-11 range, they miss the called target but hit main body. 12 or higher of course is a success.

Never surprised to hear no one plays Palladium the way we play Palladium.
I am and shall always be the GM who gives you what you want, only to make you wish you had wanted something else.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

I've raised the minimum need to hit to 8, together with the untrained penalty of -2 makes the chance to hit/miss 50/50
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Alrik Vas
Knight

The ultimate issue here is...do you give extra damage on headshots vs non-armored targets? :P

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Times three to the head -6 called shot strike bonuses apply. Times five damage to the eye -10 called shot. Both are easier to pull off in hand to hand
Alrik Vas
Knight

That's buff. I've found that just auto x2 is enough, really.

I mean honestly, you want x5 to the eye because you want to poke splugorth in the no-no spot with supernatural PS. :P

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

at minus ten its requires a crit most times in ranged combat. unless you have a high pp AND energy expulsion. lol
Alrik Vas
Knight

for a skilled marksman (say, a level 6 paratrooper, with sharpshooter and sniper, with a PP of 24, using a JA-12 with a multi-optic eye) would have around a +13 to hit with an aimed shot. that's a +3 to hit the head for a x5 critical. Now, if you're down with this, yeah buddy! If it wasn't what you were going for, think it through a little more. :P

Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Keep in mind in RUE called shots take two attacks.

That kind of halves your damage (with no official rules for head shots)
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

And if you aim that called shot it's 3 attacks.

Also according to RUE pp 361, HtH and PP bonuses do not get applied to guns. Anyone ever notice that if you're taking heavy fire yourself, you have a -6 to strike penalty because it's considered shooting wild, from being pinned down I'm imagining.
Last edited by Jerell on Fri May 16, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Noon wrote:Keep in mind in RUE called shots take two attacks.

That kind of halves your damage (with no official rules for head shots)

Called shots taking extra time is one of the more bone headed changes in RUE. I would hope that everybody house rules that particular change into oblivion.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

With a firearm? No way, I keep that rule in there. That's an excellent rule for firearms.

McFacemelt wrote:In all the games I've played or ran as far as guns are concerned a 7 or lower misses, to include called shots. If by chance they make the 8-11 range, they miss the called target but hit main body. 12 or higher of course is a success.

Never surprised to hear no one plays Palladium the way we play Palladium.

That's usually how I run my Rifts, depending on the situation.
Alrik Vas
Knight

I change it, but bad guys do as the players do.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”