Alien Unlimited:Galaxy Guild,s Questions.

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

Alien Unlimited:Galaxy Guild,s Questions.

Unread post by gaby »

(1)What are the types of FTL in Aliens unlimited:Galaxy Guild?

(2)What are the Max ftl speed for each?

(3)What is the number of Races in the following?

The Atorian Empire:

Niamese Coatiton:

The Federation of Allied Races:

Thisserar/Micean Cooprarive:

(4)What is the Bigest Ship in the FAR?
Last edited by gaby on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Alien Unlimited:Galaxy Guild,s Questions.

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Au:GG is a bit odd.. there is just "FTL", which pretty much all ships can get.. but there are a ton of different drive systems, ranging from chemical/ion/nuclear (treated as one catagory in the build rules) to Fusion, anti-gravity, solar sail, etc. also given are a few "maybe not existing" types like tachyonic. FTL speed is measured in 'factors'.. basically multiples of the speed of light. factor 1 = lightspeed. factor 2 = 2x lightspeed, etc. depending on the drive type picked the max ranges between 1 and about a hundred. the main limit is actually cost (faster drives are more expensive) and space (ships use modules.. better drives usually takeup more internal space leaving less for other things)

the end effect is kinda like Star Wars, IMO.. the details of the nature of FTL is left vague, you just calculate the course and hit the FTL button. though the speeds are more on par with early period Star Trek (TOS and ENT)... with the fastest ships topping out in the "lightyear per day" catagory and the slowest ones taking years to cross to the nearest stars.

there are two alternatives offerend to traditional FTL.. one is a gateway system (basically portals between two points) that is otherwise undefined, the other is 'translight'.. basically a special super fast (1 lightyear per hour) method that involves going conventional FTL near a strong gravity well (like a black hole) and turning on a special translight system..

presumably these alternatives were provided to let players do galaxy spanning campaigns without having to worry about year long trips to their targets..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Hallo?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

gaby wrote:(1)What are the types of FTL in Aliens unlimited:Galaxy Guild?

The Atorian Empire:

Niamese Coatiton:

1) The Shiny One already covered this one.
2) The defined FTL Drives in AU:GG have a max speed factor ranging from 20-250. (Starship speed factor=mach @ sub-light speeds and the multiple of the speed of light at FTL speeds. e.g.: a ship with a speed factor of 2 will have a Mach 2 sub-light speed, and go twice the speed of light (2c) when going FTL.
~There are ways to go faster but they require additional equipment.
3) Hundreds in both the AE and FAR, the other two more in the dozens.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
gaby wrote:(1)What are the types of FTL in Aliens unlimited:Galaxy Guild?

The Atorian Empire:

Niamese Coatiton:

1) The Shiny One already covered this one.
2) Most of the FTL Drives in AU:GG have a max speed factor of 20. (speed factor=mach @ sub-light speeds and time the speed of light at FTL speeds. There are ways to go faster but they require additional equipment.
3) Hundreds in both the AE and FAR, the other two more in the dozens.

Actually for #2 the answer should be
most drives range from a max of 20 to a max of 100.
the Speed factor is the light speed.
Speed factor has nothing to do with max light speed, as all drives can reach the same top speed (99% light), and accelerate at either
1mach/15 seconds for normal or 5mach/15 seconds for those with accelerators
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

note that FTL in AUGG is actually pretty slow by the standards of most other palladium space settings. 10 times the speed of light (factor 10, pretty typical) works out to about 1 lightyear per month of travel. factor 20, which is the fastest most drives can reach, can do it in about 2 weeks.

this is why the translight and gateway options are pretty important. when just getting around a local group of nearby stars can take a year or more the super fast translight, or the instant gateways, become the GM's handy tool. :)
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I included the definition about what Speed factor is to inform those who did not know what it was. Because I used that term in my answer and it defines how fast the drive will push the ship.

(Note: I $%^& know that drives should be rated with their 'acceleration rates' not a 'speed', but I was following the stated in the text because that is how the text is written in the book.)
--------------
GB
Going a light year per hour is equal to a speed factor of 70,388. So some may say that the 3G setting have had their FTL drives munchinized fast. But then again they are Three Galaxies. *shrugs*
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I included the definition about what Speed factor is to inform those who did not know what it was. Because I used that term in my answer and it defines how fast the drive will push the ship.

(Note: I $%^& know that drives should be rated with their 'acceleration rates' not a 'speed', but I was following the stated in the text because that is how the text is written in the book.)
--------------
GB
Going a light year per hour is equal to a speed factor of 70,388. So some may say that the 3G setting have had their FTL drives munchinized fast. But then again they are Three Galaxies. *shrugs*

yes, but you use the wrong definition :P it has nothing to do with STL speed, just FTL speed.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Very well I concede the sub-light max speed point cause I can't find it in the text right now.
-----------------
However, you stated some incorrectness.
eliakon wrote:snip...

~ +1mach/15 seconds for normal atmospheric acceleration.
~ +10 mach/15 seconds (or 5 mach/melee [depending on what part of the sentence you take as correct]) for normal acceleration in space.
~ With charged accelerators a ship can reach any desired sub light speed with in a single melee round (15 sec.)
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Very well I concede the sub-light max speed point cause I can't find it in the text right now.
-----------------
However, you stated some incorrectness.
eliakon wrote:snip...

~ +1mach/15 seconds for normal atmospheric acceleration.
~ +10 mach/15 seconds (or 5 mach/melee [depending on what part of the sentence you take as correct]) for normal acceleration in space.
~ With charged accelerators a ship can reach any desired sub light speed with in a single melee round (15 sec.)

OOPS. :lol: yah that's a serious my bad there. :oops:

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Going a light year per hour is equal to a speed factor of 70,388. So some may say that the 3G setting have had their FTL drives munchinized fast. But then again they are Three Galaxies. *shrugs*

speed factor 8766 actually..

70,388 is more like a lightyear every 7 minutes.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

glitterboy2098 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Going a light year per hour is equal to a speed factor of 70,388. So some may say that the 3G setting have had their FTL drives munchinized fast. But then again they are Three Galaxies. *shrugs*

speed factor 8766 actually..

70,388 is more like a lightyear every 7 minutes.

Erp....hummm must of ether picked out the wrong note to read or rolled poorly on my math skill.*shrugs*

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”