Mutants gain more powers from drugs ?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ESREVER333
Wanderer

Mutants gain more powers from drugs ?

Unread post by ESREVER333 »

From Powers Unlimited 2 there's a category called Imbued Hero. If the hero can create potions that will give him a few mutant powers for a few hours. So let say our hero is 2 categories, Mutant/Imbued Hero. That would give hero his normal set of Mutant abilities and additional abilities from potions created from Imbued Hero!! Cool, can this COMBO work out? I don't see any restrictions.
NMI
OLD ONE

Re: Mutants gain more powers from drugs ?

Unread post by NMI »

ESREVER333 wrote:From Powers Unlimited 2 there's a category called Imbued Hero. If the hero can create potions that will give him a few mutant powers for a few hours. So let say our hero is 2 categories, Mutant/Imbued Hero. That would give hero his normal set of Mutant abilities and additional abilities from potions created from Imbued Hero!! Cool, can this COMBO work out? I don't see any restrictions.

By the book, officially there is no way for a person to have 2 or more power categories.

In the book "Century Station" there is a group that has a chemical compound that allows for this to happen. I forget their name off the top of my head.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Rappanui wrote:By the book, there are Various paths to Gain multiple powers. A Mutant and Experiment share the same XP TABLE. ... while the rules generally don't encourage multiclassing, there's plenty of excuses to do it. If a mutant began using temporary powers he would be doubly penalized. Many GMs simply turn any character who double dips into powers and categories to take the megahero xp penalty but none of the megahero benefits..
I personally see nothing wrong with it... There are plenty of PU2 Classes that are Infact, Multiclasses.
and pretty much redundant/overpowered.
which is why i forbid them in most of my games.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Alien Mutants is another one....
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

There is a Rifter that introduces dual class rules, but you cannot take two classes which powers. You could take Hardware and mutant, for instance, as that gives you powers and increased skills. Or you could take Physical Training and Mystically Bestowed weapon. Most categories already account for the mutant thing on top of the powers under the conditions for the experiment, etc.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:There is a Rifter that introduces dual class rules, but you cannot take two classes which powers. You could take Hardware and mutant, for instance, as that gives you powers and increased skills. Or you could take Physical Training and Mystically Bestowed weapon. Most categories already account for the mutant thing on top of the powers under the conditions for the experiment, etc.

Why not a mystically-bestowed/Mutant combo? After all one can easily argue that the powers don't stack so he switches between power sets when he is and isn't transformed.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

NMI wrote:By the book, officially there is no way for a person to have 2 or more power categories.

Well... there's not really anything preventing people of non-Magic categories from picking up and using a Magic Weapon or Magic Item. Nor from the GM saying a god comes along and gives you Mystic Bestowed powers.

I think in Rifts Conversion Book 1 somewhere it even refers to the power categories as an OCC, much like we occasionally see PCCs or RCCs referred to in the same fashion, which allows us wiggle room to apply the multiple OCC rule to power categories.

It may seem like a bit of a stretch, but CB1pg40: "The hero's OCC, skillls and cultural penalties are unchanged, except for the super-sleuth and hardware character".

I think that line provides grounds to at least consider Special Training and Hardware as OCCs. It's not much of a stretch to apply that to Physical Training and Mystic Study either. Considering Rifts' treatment of Psionics, the Psychic category in HU is equally OCC-able. Yes, OCC is now a verb.

NMI wrote:In the book "Century Station" there is a group that has a chemical compound that allows for this to happen. I forget their name off the top of my head.

Halcyon pg 178 led by "The Creator". Superpowers for ALL, including those who previously had some.

If you don't mind a little death and insanity.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Brothershadow
D-Bee
Comment: "When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."

Unread post by Brothershadow »

ESREVER333 wrote:From Powers Unlimited 2 there's a category called Imbued Hero. If the hero can create potions that will give him a few mutant powers for a few hours. So let say our hero is 2 categories, Mutant/Imbued Hero. That would give hero his normal set of Mutant abilities and additional abilities from potions created from Imbued Hero!! Cool, can this COMBO work out? I don't see any restrictions.

Absolutely possible, if a GM were to allow such. But that GM would be allowing that character to dual class, which opens up a whole can of worms, as every player at the table will want access to drinking potions from the Imbued Hero. "Hey I'm Eugenics. Can I also have it??" Sure why not. "Hey I'm Special Training. Can i have it also?" Sure why not. The Natural Genius? You betcha. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Soon the GM will have all of his villains imbibing…
Stare into the abyss & you'll find the abyss staring back at you.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Brothershadow wrote:

Absolutely possible, if a GM were to allow such. But that GM would be allowing that character to dual class, which opens up a whole can of worms, as every player at the table will want access to drinking potions from the Imbued Hero. "Hey I'm Eugenics. Can I also have it??" Sure why not. "Hey I'm Special Training. Can i have it also?" Sure why not. The Natural Genius? You betcha. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Soon the GM will have all of his villains imbibing…
Stare into the abyss & you'll find the abyss staring back at you.
Agreed, it would be easily abused. This is why the Rifter allowing for dual classing limits it to mixing classes that do not grant a lot of powers, like adding hardware to mutant or magically bestowed weapon to physical training. You don't want to wind up with a character with a doze superabilities.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Nightmask wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:There is a Rifter that introduces dual class rules, but you cannot take two classes which powers. You could take Hardware and mutant, for instance, as that gives you powers and increased skills. Or you could take Physical Training and Mystically Bestowed weapon. Most categories already account for the mutant thing on top of the powers under the conditions for the experiment, etc.

Why not a mystically-bestowed/Mutant combo? After all one can easily argue that the powers don't stack so he switches between power sets when he is and isn't transformed.

Forge in the comics for a bit had Magic (he opened portals and a few other tricks) as well as his mutant Mechanical Savant. But he was not required to transform to use his magic.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Rimmerdal wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Forge in the comics for a bit had Magic (he opened portals and a few other tricks) as well as his mutant Mechanical Savant. But he was not required to transform to use his magic.

That's because Forge wasn't a mystically bestowed he was a mutant trained to be able to cast spells since he had the mystic potential to do so. Mystically bestowed on top of being a mutant would be Forge with Shazam showing up to make him into Captain Marvel and having his mutant power disabled while he was CM.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

They also do quite a bit in comics that you cannot do in Heroes Unlimited. Being that it is a game with set limitations, you cannot have a character that falls into three or four categories like you see in the comics.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Most of this stuff is flavor notations. Pick one power cat, then explain some of the powers/abilities granted by the first cat as an effect of the second.

For example, say you had a mutant/spell caster. Easy. Take the mystically bestowed format, mix the powers as mutant abilities, and the spells as magic. As you don't have a powered down mode and you can't have your 'mutant' form dispelled, you have to eat a roll on the mutant abnormality table, and the GM should screw with you a little on it. Plus you ding on mutant power detectors that are wired to imposibly large robots. Use the magic table. Problem solved.

A mutant who was used for either a super soldier or experiment, that's already built in. No fuss, no muss.

Hardware characters who are also mutants or the like, easy pezey too. One way could be to cut and paste Arthur Harding of Triton Industries. A mutant with tech effecting powers and a Phd in Robotics. The character eats the -40% on the robotic skills, but can cut that penilty in half with the 20% bump from Mechano-Link. That makes the mutant pretty cutting edge. Another option would be to use the super invention power cat, which allows the player to be either Electical or Mechancial genius. Migrate some of the powers from the invention over to the character's base build, roll on the mutant table, maybe bang off a skill program or a couple of secondary skills, on top of any other losses the build would infer. Use the worst possible XP table.

Advanced Martial arts+mutant(or other super human)? Rifts Japan has advanced martial arts tables that give decent bumps, they are superior to the base forms. I charge two secondary skills extra (on top of the three skills you needed to get to HTH: Martial Arts) Alternately, N&SS's non-exclussive fighting styles, there are rules in the back of Ninja's for that, but it doesn't work out well to my experience. A neat idea that Mrs. Taf had was to allow players who's roleplaying reflected advanced martial arts training was to let them buy body hardening technique and some martial arts powers for secondary skills. But in those instances the player and GM have to take it on a case by case basis. A experiment with hardened skin might find it easy to adapt falling technique to his body, having learned through practice how to use his NAR to his advantage, even when seventy feet off the ground. And mutant with extraordinary speed might have thrown so many punches that she's got Iron hand style strikes. Meanwhile, the psychic character could have learned 'Warrior spirit', figuring out how to use his already impressive mental abilities to rattle his enemies even more. An analytical genius using a load of gadgets and advanced body armor might see a need for the art of vanishing when he's bouding roof top to roof top, and finds that the local PD might want to have a chat with him that he wants to avoid. In this case, replacing the ninja's years apon years of training, his hardware plus some insightful movement allows him the same trick.

There are a lot of options for GMs and players, but you've got to flex your imagination a bit. I think the orginial post was about trying to double up on powers, to what end I don't know, but if the flow of the game is rolling that way, whatever, then his option works. Granted if the power source is a 'mystic tea' from a guy operating out of china town, I'd be nervous, but other then that....
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

NMI wrote:

By the book, officially there is no way for a person to have 2 or more power categories.

In the book "Century Station" there is a group that has a chemical compound that allows for this to happen. I forget their name off the top of my head.

Oh NMI, please tell me you haven't forgotten the name of Halcyon, and their ultra cool leader
The Creator? Nothing says you can't use it on supers. Just be careful about that nasty Halcyon
Effect.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”